Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New Fork – Should I Buy Boost?
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Building up my first 29er, about to buy a new fork and have the option of 100mm or 110mm boost.

Already have wheels and they are standard/non boost/100mm, hope hub…should I buy the boost to futureproof myself?

Fox 34 and would like to have the option to run 650b plus in the future.

If it a PITA or expensive to buy/use converters? Also which one?

Gotama
    Free Member

I would get boost, especially if you want to try plus. Depending on your wheels the adaptors are ok. I had hope with the hope adaptor when I did it and it just meant the wheel was slightly offset. Bugged me when riding slowly or looking at it but when riding trails I can’t say I noticed it. Depends on how fussy you are.

Edit I guess you could get the front wheel dished across to centre it but I’m not a wheel builder so no idea if it would compromise strength.

nwill1
    Free Member

I looked at some adapters, some seem to have a 5mm each side and a spacer for the brake disc…the Hope one looked…errr?? 10mm offset…might mess with my OCD.

I feel boost will become the new standard and given I’m buying from new I dont want to buy a fork that’s out of date fork before its even on my bike! 😕

cbott
    Free Member

Boost will become the new standard for sure. You won’t see many 2017/18 bikes without a boosted fork. Personally I wouldn’t bother buying anything else if your looking to future proof but you may pick up a bargain in 15×100 (old standard)

I have a 2017 boost 34 Performance fork for sale – have a look in the for sale section (shameless plug)

🙂

Yak

Nothing wrong with dishing wheels a bit either. Even if you weren’t changing standards, a bit of dishing to get it spot on is not unusual. (even on brand new bikes with wheels supplied).

STATO
    Free Member

would like to have the option to run 650b plus in the future

then yes, or you will be restricted on tyre size.

benpinnick

I looked at some adapters, some seem to have a 5mm each side and a spacer for the brake disc…the Hope one looked…errr?? 10mm offset…might mess with my OCD.

Yes but your OCD will be quite happy with the fact that doing this conversion will give you nearly perfect L/R spoke lengths 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New Fork – Should I Buy Boost?’ is closed to new replies.