Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New Fork advice – Looking for 140mm 650b…
  • jmatlock
    Free Member

Morning Singletrack Hivemind,

I am looking to swap the forks on my Cotic Bfe 27.5

currently run XFusion Sweeps at 140mm and am looking to upgrade.

Pikes are an obvious choice, but I am thinking something a bit different so long as they can be run at 140mm travel.

DVO Diamond
    BOS Deville
    Ohlins RFX 34 (If I can make them work length wise)
    Formula
    Fox 34 Factory

Budget of no more than 800, less would be nice.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    James

SirHC

Pikes, they just work. Everything else is more expensive and is there a noticeable performance increase?

jmatlock
    Free Member

Pikes are definitely an option, but I really wanted to give one of the other guys a chance. There is currently zero SRAM on the bike.

chiefgrooveguru

Can you put the Roughcut damper into the Sweeps?

I like the Pike a lot at 160mm but at 130-140mm on my hardtail I find myself too often in the softest bit of the stroke – am about to install a Vorsprung Luftkappe to help with that.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Roughcut damper is an option. The one thing I love about the XFusions is that they don’t dive hard under breaking. They sit up nicely.

woodster

I much prefer my MRP Stage to my Pike. Very supportive and tuneable to the point where it just deals with everything without fuss and unlike the Pike has been faultlessly reliable. I can’t really fault it.

jmatlock
    Free Member

So, Upgrade bikes have quoted £225 to upgrade the damper to the new Roughcut damper.

Anyone using a DVO or BOS care to weigh in?

woodster

I really liked my Deville and I’d have probably had another one if they made it in 29, but I prefer my Stage now.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d be tempted by the damper upgrade, especially if it includes a service.

Otherwise I have to say I’d probably get the Fox 34 Factory over a Pike, having ridden them back to back I think it’s a bit more supple and grippy.

Not ridden the others though.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I really liked my Devilles, but that was before they ditched the independent high and low speed compression. Servicing myself was a piece of cake. They were easily the best air forks I’ve ridden (I’m desperately waiting for coil trail forks to make a comeback).

Don’t discount the Manitou Mattoc Pro; I really liked mine they’re a bargain, easy to work on and very upgradable. They’ve come out well in reviews too.

I’m running Marzicchi 350 NCR’s now and really like them. Again very easy to work on, you just need to keep an eye out for tight bushes.

MartynS

MRP stage here as well
    have a look.

jmatlock
    Free Member

is there a UK Stockist of the MRP stage? Any recommendations of who to buy from?

woodster

i got mine from Triton Cycles. Worth dropping them an email to say you’re interested and to see if they’d be willing to offer a discount as I managed to get a decent chunk off mine.

transition1
    Free Member

I have owned Pikes but in 160mm X fusion sweep upgraded to rough cut by upgrade bikes & Bos Deville. The Devilles are the best of the 3 forks performance wise & I would disagree with earlier comments regarding the sweeps dive really badly on braking unlike the Devilles or Pikes. If you confident servicing your own forks the Devilles are the best fork out there & fairy easy to adjust travel from 160 to 140mm travel although do need a diffident length air shaft.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Transition1 – I agree, I love the fact that my Sweeps don’t dive under breaking. I had some Rebas that I just couldn’t get right.

Looks like I need to be on the look out for some 140mm BOS Devilles .

Shame people didn’t speak more highly of the DVO, I think their stuff looks amazing.

bubbleless
    Free Member

Another vote for Pikes, although mine are 150 not had an issue with them

kayla1
    Free Member

Suntour Durolux. Not ‘badge’ though.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Quite a few places doing 0% on the new 140MM BOS Devilles.

Seems like a win win.

UNLESS anyone here is a BOS stockist and wants to look after me?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New Fork advice – Looking for 140mm 650b…’ is closed to new replies.