Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)
  • New Forest Riding
  • igtretd
    Free Member

scaredypants….google ‘fc byelaws’.

Paragraph 6 is the mechanism for limiting access by cycles as they are deemed ‘vehicles’ under the various road traffic acts. Para 6.2.a.ii allows the FC to designate routes for cycling (and other vehicular access), see the map in the link from Thomthumb. Fine for non-compliance is £500. Confiscation is not a sanction.

If the FC rangers, or anyone else, were disposed to prosecuting they would need your name and address hence the spookily high number of Mr M Mouses at large in the forest. They do not have the power of arrest.

In general the FC are positive about cycling but if you come across FC rangers they will point out to you (because of the byelaws) that you should not be riding in a non-designated area and if you move on in the general direction of a road or permitted track that’s the end of it (where you actually move on to is up to you). I’ve found that if you stay cool so do they.

Agisters drive Land Rovers with ‘Agister’ on the side and aren’t FC employees but are employed by/agents of the Verderers. It is the Verderers that are behind the totally illogical restriction on cycling as the FC have to get the Verderers permission if they want to extend the FC cycling routes; There have been no new routes in over 10 years. The Verderers powers derive from the various New Forest Acts but their ability, in law, to block the FC extending access is a moot point which for whatever reason the FC have never challenged.

The NF National Park Authority is also positive about cycling but has no statutory powers to change the status quo.

If there are any new routes sanctioned in the future they will also have to be blessed by Natural England as the forest is covered by a number of
    conservation designations at both a UK and European level.

I need to get out more!!

PS The above is merely an attempt to describe the framework around access within the Perambulation of the Forest as I understand it (outside it’s BAU Rights of Way stuff). I ain’t saying its right…anything but.

Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)

The topic ‘New Forest Riding’ is closed to new replies.