Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • New family car for 3 kids – isofix?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

How do those with mpv’s work around the floor storage bins? Do some seats not rest on them? Or did you fill them? My worry about using a non approved filler is that the load of the support leg in am accident could (in theory) either cause punch through of the base or even pop the whole storage bin out of its mounts and towards the road.

Certainly in The berlingo there is the chassis monocoque structure between the storage bins and the road. You won’t pop it out of its mount.

jonnyboi

Just checked, the current berlingo has isofix mounts on the front passenger seat and the outer two rear seats.

Below was also a surprisingly easy google OP…

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/recommended/best-cars-with-three-isofix-points

keithb

Unfortunately the Berlingo is a no go due to its 3star euro ncap rating… otherwise it’d be near the top of the list!

jeffl

Ford S-Max will do the job. Blatant plug but I’m selling one.

Edit: looking at the car buyer link it seems to say you need a foam bung. I can only think that’s to fill/support the underfloor storage bins on either side. Won’t be a problem for the middle seat as there is no underfloor storage there.

keithb

Jeff, how much and that’s the mileage? And where are you?

jeffl

Hi Keith,

£14,500, 31,500 miles, it’s a 14 plate. Based in Chesterfield. Full details here http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703193444298

nixie

They have legs that bend at the knees, they don’t need to stretch their legs out like a creaky middle-aged adult does. Most kids will happily sleep in that kneeling, bum in the air position so a couple of hours in the car with their legs bent is no drama at all.

Obviously reconsider if they seem genuinely uncomfortable but don’t rush to turn them forwards just because they look a little cramped.

This. Ours never complained about lack of leg room (Besafe Izi, not exactly a small seat). The seat designs tend to be scalloped anyway which promotes a bent leg.

i can barely get my 4 year old to sit still in a forward facing car seat, using jubilee clips, bungee cords and duct tape, he’d have a field day in a rear facing seat

I found it easier to get her into the rear facing seat. Remember in a rear facing seat they are still restrained by a 5 point harness which makes containing the little wriggler much easier.

br
    Free Member

Rear travel is proven ot be safer, and not just in child seats (its safer in planes as well but the passengers don’t tend to like it).

I know that, and pretty much always choose rear-facing when I can (BA sleepbeds, window seat 🙂 }, but these have leg room, whereas a reward facing car seat on a forward facing seat doesn’t. Which is why I was asking how the kids managed.

keithb

Just checked the britax website. They say an erf seat with a leg can only go in the middle position of an smax. So no go for practical purposes.

Our 3008 explicitly states in the manual you cannot use the middle position for a support leg, despite there being no storage bin there.

The car buyer list is only new cars, we’re looking second hand

Edit: thanks Jeff but over our budget.

tom200

I have an x-trail and could get a baby seat a toddler seat and a high backed booster across the back and 2 medium children in the boot. I only use one Iso-fix seat, defiantly no need to one with a booster type seat.

No need for an mpv, but they do fit more bikes in.

mudshark
    Free Member

Maybe cheaper than changing your car

https://multimac.co.uk/p/multimac_1000_3_seater

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘New family car for 3 kids – isofix?’ is closed to new replies.