Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New Dropper Won't Fit :(
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

So I treated myself to one of the Tmars droppers for my Genesis Core. However, with me being tall and the frame being a large, I don’t have a great deal of normal seat post showing, about 21cm to be exact.

Anyway, I can’t get the dropper low enough in the seat tube. Where it stops means the saddle being about 3cm too high, which is quite a difference.

Any bright ideas? I know you can get some really thin carbon seat clamps, but there’s only just enough room for the seat tube to fit.

With seat clamp:

Without seat clamp:

nbt

Remove the wotist from the dropper post and turn it over

get a thinner seat clamp

honourablegeorge

Would the careful application of a pipe cutters to remove 3 cm of seat tube be out of the question?

Junkyard
    Free Member

grind the seat post clamp to allow the black bit to fit- possibly leave it to thin to work

Grind the lip of the seat post clamp and install lower – possibly not grip the post thougj

Somehow space out the black box on the post to fit over the clamp- need to take it apart though

Drill a hole 3 cm in the post so it will sit at the right height for you- does it not have a 1 ” drop like a GD? whch was prone to break when ridden like this IIRC

Not sure which is the safest or easiest though

I would try grinding the lip of a [cheap crappy non QR] seat clamp first though

scotroutes

That would be my suggestion – though I might ask a professional to do it….

honourablegeorge

scotroutes – Member

That would be my suggestion – though I might ask a professional to do it….

Plenty time to get a professional to sort it out after you’ve made a poorly thought out attempt at it yourself first.

Kahurangi

Swap dropper posts with someone who has a Forza (??) as they look the same but have a different (more basic) cable entry?

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

I wouldn’t personally recommend cutting the seat tube down as this will also require you to cut another slot. Not rocket science but if done poorly then you leave yourself open to frame failure. Not sure how many shops would take on this sort of work either,

nickjb
    Free Member

I had the same issue on the wife’s bike. I machined the back off the black box. I did it in the lathe so it fits snugly over the seat clamp. There’s not a lot of material so it needs to be combined with a thin, straight sided seat clamp.

Untitled by nickjb, on Flickr

chico66
    Free Member

I’d a similar problem with mine but only needed 1 cm so ground the lip off the seat clamp and fitted it further down the seat tube.

I wouldn’t normally advocate altering a frame but it looks like there’s plenty of seat tube above the top tube. If the frame’s out of warranty, cutting down the seat tube would be the easiest

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Jubilee clip as a seatpost clamp?

Farticus

Get rid of the clamp and get braze-ons done instead? You won’t need a QR with a dropper anyway.

taxi25
    Free Member

Have a look at Mt Zoom seatpost clamps their ultra thin.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. It’s starting to look like a bit of a ballache for the sake of £60 dropper, don’t think it’s worth hacking the frame to bits tbh.

Hmmm, might be one for the classifieds…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Remove the wotist from the dropper post and turn it over

Is that possible? It looks like it would gain you about 20mm drop.

wobbem
    Free Member

Don’t go to overboard, those Tmars will only work well for a couple of months. (speaking from experiance)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New Dropper Won't Fit :(’ is closed to new replies.