Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New disc rotors – suggestions on supplier please
  • DickBarton

I’m running a 6″ Hayes Stroker Carbons just now – brakes are very good indeed, stop quickly and seem to have a very nice feel to them. However, I’ve noticed as I tend to drag my brakes (as I’m a sh!tb@g rider), if I stop and then start again, the front needs a few good pulls to get the bite back.

I’m not entirely sure but I reckon it is overheating due to my poor braking technique so I’d like to go a size up on the front – looking at CRC, the 7″ Hayes rotor seems to be rather pricey so I’m wondering what else is out there that can be recommended?

Someone has posted up about Ashima rotors but they look (to me) to have no braking surface so already in my head I’m convinced they won’t be as sharp or powerful.

So what are the recommendations?

Also, I’m running Fox F120RL’s with Post Mounts – I’m assuming I just need a post mount to post mount +20mm adapter? Like this one?

Any suggestions please on new rotors? Also, I reckon the HAyes rotors are ok, but if the suggestions are better, I’ll probably also go for a rear improvement as well…but that will stay as a 6″ job as the read brake is plenty powerful for locking up.

Thanks.

steveh

I’ve been using the imperial ones from http://www.mtb-direct.co.uk on most of my bikes for a while now and they work well and are cheap as chips too. If you’re going to change I’d go all the way to 203 while you are at it.

daveh
    Free Member
    timraven

Try this lot Disco brakes

hustler
    Free Member

I have an Ashima rotor on the rear and its fine, I have not noticed a difference to the standard shimano one I was running previously.

tootallpaul

Alligator windcutter rotors from http://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk – cheap, and great service. Work great- again a minimalist design, but no different in power/use to the original shimano ones.

P

CountZero

BBB wavey rotors are almost identical to the Superstar ones and are pretty cheap. Come with stainless Torx bolts as well.

DickBarton

Anyone have a contact number for Disco Brakes? Can get rotor and adapter for £18 delivered but it won’t let me register to order – will order over phone if I could find a number…

Thanks.

Militant_biker

I find the Ashima rotors bite better than Hope.

…I remember when you used to slag me off for dragging MY brakes!

nickc

DB, I doubt you’d be overheating your brakes by just dragging them a bit, I’d only expect brakes to boil over at 400 deg or so… Check the calipers aren’t a bit sticky before shelling out for new rotors.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

also a2z rotors from the woolyhatshop.

turnip
    Free Member

more likely your pads need a change, if your cooking your brakes dont use sintered, go for a good organic

retro83
    Free Member

or possibly you have air somewhere in the system

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New disc rotors – suggestions on supplier please’ is closed to new replies.