Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • new (DE Safety Razor) blade time?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

been using sharks and get on fine with them, tried gillette 7oclock which i liked for the sharpness but they rip my skin apart, too harsh…

anything else i should consider before buying sharks again?

Clobber
    Free Member

Feathers are my favourite

Stoner
    Free Member

I’ve tried 5 or 6 brands and keep coming back to feathers. avoid merkur blades, worst of the lot!

alexxx
    Free Member

I use Derbys but have some feathers to the side but haven’t had the balls to use them yet

Taff
    Free Member

Just bought a load of Derby’s blades, I like them and Feathers. I do have some cheap ones at home which are surprisingly good but can’t remember the name

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Get a sample pack and see what works
    http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/en/Razor-Blades/4514774-Traditional-Shaving-Razor-Blade-Sample-Pack.html

Blades seem to be quite a personal

oddjob
    Free Member

Stoner +1

Always come back to feathers

superlurch
    Free Member

I’ve tried a few but settled on Derby’s, they seem to nick me less… I bought a big pack of 100 for £7 posted from a fella in Turkey. Bargain!

oddjob
    Free Member

any tips on where to get cheap feather blades? I am running a bit low

Clobber
    Free Member

ebay?

peterfile
    Free Member

I bought a sample kit of about 12 boxes of different blades. Got half way through and came back to feathers!

i do find it’s best to change the blade once midweek, so i end up using twice as many feathers as anything else, but they are cheap as chips in the grand scheme of things.

benman
    Free Member

Use gillette 7 o clock yellows as my ‘sharp’ option, but for every day shaves I use Astra’s. Cheap as chips from ebay. Didn’t get on with Derbys.

warton
    Free Member

Feathers

mickyfinn
    Free Member

And another Feathers Fan here 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

Personna are sharp, but also quite smooth.

Clobber
    Free Member

Where does everyone buy their feathers? I use ebay normally but the feathers on the bay now seem to come from thailand, singapore etc… Are there fakes around?

Anywhere better/cheaper to get them?

nacho
    Free Member

I think it must be best to try them all and see. Whenever I try Feathers they slice me up whereas Derby’s I hardly ever nick myself.
    I recently tried Sharks but still prefer the Derbys. FWIW I have only been DE shaving around a year and apparently Feathers are sharper and for the more experienced shaver, maybe this time next year I’ll be able to cope with them……..

sharkbait
    Free Member

Those of you that say Feathers cut you more – this is probably because they are sharper than the other blades and are less forgiving…. but give a better shave IMO. With a good technique (and not rushing) feathers are brill. [other blade manufacturers are avaialable]

burnside
    Free Member

I’ve been afraid of Feathers but was thinking of getting some on the premise that their sharpness means less passes and therefore less skin irritation. Flawed logic?

sharkbait
    Free Member

No, bang on. Seriously their bark is worse than their bite.

Sodajim

If your using sharks are they the super chrome? Tried loads of types and keep going back to them as the best all rounder for me. Bought a salon pack of 200 for £21, cheap shaving!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Factor in your razor as well.
    I have a Merkur Futur in town house and cheap Parker at country residence, both with Gillette 7 O’clock and using the same soap
    Parker is ok, acceptable. Merkur is awesome.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

cheers.

i’m using a super cheap lord that i started out with last year. does a better razor like a mekur really make that much difference. surely its the blade, the razor just holds it in place?

aa
    Free Member

another feather user here. I get on well with shark but find they dont seem to cut as close.

As mentioned above feathets are good if you dont skimp on the prep and dont rush.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Gillette 7 o’clock sharp for me with a Mhule R89 razor, I found with the feathers it was a bit harsh.
    But lets be honest with shaving what suits one person does not necessarily suit another

matthewjb
    Free Member

I bought a sample pack from Shaving.ie.

I then decided on the Derbys and got a bulk pack. 100 blades for about £10.

Clobber
    Free Member

I think 7 o’clocks are the best everyday blade but the feather spanks it… anyone tried the Indian green 7 o’clocks?

Hohum
    Free Member

Clobber – Member

I think 7 o’clocks are the best everyday blade but the feather spanks it… anyone tried the Indian green 7 o’clocks?

Not tried the Indian greens, but I have tried the Indian blacks and I really like them. They give me a good close shave and little irritation.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Feathers here as well

davidjones15
    Free Member

I then decided on the Derbys and got a bulk pack. 100 blades for about £10.

Another happy Derby user here.

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW I get my feathers from the Shaving Shack
    http://www.shaving-shack.com/10-feather-hi-stainless-double-edged-razor-blades.html

not the cheapest but then since I only shave once or twice a week (not because Im some bum-fluff nancy mind you! I only have to be on parade once or twice a week) I do need a good blade to attack what can be quite a bit of tough beard at the end of 6 days. So Im happy using a good blade, because it lasts me 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

Alphabet

Whenever I try Feathers they slice me up whereas Derby’s I hardly ever nick myself.

I found the exact opposite although I only tried Derby’s once. Feathers are the only other blades I’ve used and have been using them for about 18 months with hardly any cuts. YMMV

chewkw
    Free Member

I have some Feathers Stainless Steel stash – normal black packaging. (Genuine. NOT fake) This is the one without platinum coating with good old bare stainless steel.

So far so good and my face is still intake.

errmmm … In fact I have Personna, Gillette yellow, Green & blue, Iridium (Polsilver) and few other Russian made DE blades that will last me for at least several years.

If you want to try some Feathers Stainless Steel black packaging then I can sell you some for £3 per pack including postage (5 blades per pack). Bear in mind if the weight becomes too heavy the postage will be more. I am keeping some for my own use.

Not sure how to collect payment though … cheque for £3 … hmmm … the bank might not be happy.

:mrgreen:

p/s: selling some of my stash to fund the daddy of DE safety razor – the Feather Stainless Steel Safety Razor (AS-D1) @ £160!!!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

does a better razor like a mekur really make that much difference. surely its the blade, the razor just holds it in place?

Not necessarily “better”, just different. Different razors hold the blades at different angles, changing the feel of the shave. Hence the old Gillette superSpeed notion of blue tip (mild) and red tip (aggressive) razors. The Merkur scores for me because it’s adjustable. Pricey, but.
    Anyway, the shave that works best is the combination of blade plus razor which works for you. Changing blades is the cheap option, if you don’t like a pack you’re only a couple of quid out of pocket. changing razors can become expensive. that said, one I’d definitely recommend would be a Gillette SuperSpeed (ebay around £20). Mine’s is early 1960 (like me) and a fine shave.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

saladdodger – Member

Gillette 7 o’clock sharp for me with a Mhule R89 razor, I found with the feathers it was a bit harsh.
    But lets be honest with shaving what suits one person does not necessarily suit another

Exactly the same set up for me. May be my technique but found the 7 o’clock sharp and feathers to be about the same sharpness but the feathers didn’t stay sharp for as many shaves

Clobber
    Free Member

Right, further research into getting cheap blades has lead me to HERE

And if you register HERE

And PM THIS GUY you get a discount code for the website…

Cheapest I’ve seen and he gets a lot of positive feedback….

EDIT: (Less than half the price of the shaving shack link earlier)

chewkw
    Free Member

Clobber,

The blades are reasonably cheap but if you order them from abroad the postage could be a killer.

So far the good DE blades that I used are manufactured in:

1. Japan(Feathers).
    2. Russian(Iridium, Gillette and all those from the same factorty in St Petersburg).
    3. USA (Personna variety).
    4. Polsilver (Poland but later Russian Iridium).

🙂

Clobber
    Free Member

Airmail Postage to uk is included in the price!

chewkw
    Free Member

Clobber – Member
    Airmail Postage to uk is included in the price!

Some items are about the same price I bought in the UK.

However, I am not sure about the Polsilver Iridium they are selling because that is not in production anymore as far as I know. The price for them has shot up so much it’s almost 2.5 times the original price. On their website the price is still relatively low so … not sure if that is genuine. Unless they have large old stock or the factory in St Petersburg decides to manufature it again … This one.

Also the Nacet Platinum have you seen this in the shop anywhere in UK market? Supposed to be for UK market. I have seen this in the Far East though. This one

Verdict for Gillette Super Thin – not good according to the people I know who used them.

Clobber
    Free Member

Seems they are around…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘new (DE Safety Razor) blade time?’ is closed to new replies.