Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New crankset or go 2×10 groupset?
  • dmorts

My raceface evolve xc cranks bit the dust at the weekend so need new one. The splines went, quite common on older models apparently.

I am running 2×9 and bash, bodging front mechanism using the high stop screw.

Not bought a crankset before and they’re pretty pricey! I’d like to spend money on something futureproof-ish. So wondering whether to upgrade my running gear to 2×10 Shimano SLX, buying a transmission groupset. Or could I run a 2×10 crank with 9spd at the back?

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2×10 XO chainset up front with 9 at the back, been running it for about 4 years now. The set up is reasonably future proof in that you can buy different spiders for the cranks, should you want to go 1×11 later on. And obviously there’s the option of 2×10 as well.

I think I’ll only go for 10 on the back of that bike when the derailleur and shifters wear out, which may be some time given that they’re about 10 years old and still going strong….

I’d just go for the cranks at the moment if you’re happy with everything else.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends on how everything is running. 9/10 makes very little difference at the crank end.

What drive train are you currently running? I tried SLX a last year and it felt fairly cheap and nasty really.
    Is weight an issue? Shimano cranks don’t really do light that well compared to some others either.

I have the X9 version of Marmoset’s cranks also nice simple setup with options. Use the Hope BB over the SRAM one too.

gonzy
    Free Member

it will work. i ran an old deore 9sp crank with 8 sp at the rear for years before i bought a 9sp lx HT2 crankset last year. then a few weeks ago i upgraded to 10sp at the rear and it all works fine.

njee20
    Free Member

You could use a 10 speed chainset with 7 at the back if you were so inclined.

SLX are a great balance between price and functionality, get my vote.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

SLX is what I would get.

SLX crank arms weigh the same as XT so the only difference is in the chainring weights.

In terms of weight the arms compared to others they are about 60-70g heavier than X0 or XTR, they are 20-30g lighter than RF Turbines and about the same weight as XC Deus.

I wouldn’t switch the groupset to 2×10 if you have 2×9 I would just wait until you want to go to 1×10 or 1×11.

dmorts

Might go for just the SLX crankset then for now. The bike is running circa 2010-2011 SRAM X9 rear mech, SRAM X9 shifters, Shimano Deore mech and SRAM 9spd cassette and chain (they’re newer having been replaced).

Will I also need a 2×10 front mech and shifter? I suppose this would make everything smoother..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2×9/10 mechs are limited 3×10/9 mechs there is no need (you don’t even need to adjust the limits really) I’m sure I have run both

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’ve got a 3×9 slx up front on mine with no isues. But I’m using a non indexed grip shift on the front as well.

dmorts

I’ve just remembered how much of PITA adjusting the front mech is as the bike is Commencal Meta 55. The swing arm almost completely blocks access. I got to the point where I was removing the rear wheel, tweeking the stop screw then putting the wheel back on….. I might change mech and shifter too.

The other thing is what size rings do I go for that will A) work with current 9 spd and B) work in the future with a 10 spd? I think I need to read up on what ratios you get with 10 spd

ahwiles
    Free Member

fr0sty125 – Member

SLX crank arms weigh the same as XT

and deore cranks are only 40g heavier.

(640g for crank arms, no rings)

i was honestly a little dissappointed when i weighed them, i was hoping to find an easy 200g saving – but no.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New crankset or go 2×10 groupset?’ is closed to new replies.