Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • new commuting rear wheel required
  • wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

So my original RoadRat 700c wheel is on the verge of exploding, it’s about as concave as it gets without giving somewhere – it’s only a matter of time…

Anyone know of a decent disk compatible rear wheel fairly cheap? Needs to be strong rather than light as it’s singlespeed and carries my panniers to/from work every day.

Or i could relace a new rim onto it i suppose? although i have no idea about doing this – am game to try if it would be considerably cheaper – the free hub and body is sound i guess…would need a rim and spokes

ahwiles
    Free Member

the old-school ghetto method is to get/buy/rob yourself a new rim – ideally the same as the old rim, but one that’s similar should do.

using about 6 bits of equally spaced leccy tape, strap the new rim next to the old rim, and one-by-one swap the spokes and nipples over.

(loosen all of the spokes first)

undo the tape, the old rim falls off, you can then tension up your ‘new’ wheel, or take it to your favourite LBS and get them to do it for £10/£20.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

i like it! never thought of doing it that way, i may well give it a go.

you rekon £10/20 for LBS to relace it? i was expecting something more hefty tbh..

sl2000

You’ll need to get a rim with the same ‘ERD’ so that you can reuse the spokes. It really is easy to build a wheel, especially if it’s just for a commuter (so you don’t mind the odd wobble) and it’s a front wheel or a single speed (so not dished) rear. If it’s a geared wheel with a SS conversion it’s a bit harder because the tension is different on each side of the wheel. Whether or not you buy a new wheel this time, put a new rim on this one yourself. If you buy a new wheel you won’t be under pressure to complete the job, and can then have your newly rebuilt wheel as a spare.

My LBS in London charges £30 for a wheel build. I guess the price depends on where you are.

ahwiles
    Free Member

wonkey_donkey – Member

you rekon £10/20 for LBS to relace it? i was expecting something more hefty tbh..

no, i reckon about £10/£20 for your LBS to tension/true your wheel – depending how good/bad it is when you take it in.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

hmm it is a geared with a SS conversion – i think i’ll do as you suggest, get a new wheel this time and buy a rim too and give it a go.

Cheers folks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘new commuting rear wheel required’ is closed to new replies.