Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New commuting back pack
  • mikey74
    Free Member

My current one is annoying as it clashes with my helmet. Any recommendations for one that will take office work clothes, a small lunch box and gym gear?

benjishucksmith
    Free Member

Clashes with your helmet? Is this a joke?

I use this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-luggit-slice-25l-rucksack/

I can fit everything in it. There’s also a 30L version.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Clashes with your helmet? Is this a joke?

I assume he means it physically gets in the way.

Anyway, have a look at Osprey Momentums. I have the orange 30L size, can fit work clothes, lunch box and a bit of shopping in there. Surprisingly unsweaty on the back, compared to the messenger bag it replaced anyway.

mikey74
    Free Member

I assume he means it physically gets in the way.

I really didn’t think I would have to explain that one but yes, physically clashes.

monkeychild
    Free Member

+1 the DHB one as it just works.

mikey74
    Free Member

Bump!

darkslider
    Free Member

I’d go for an Overboard pack, mine’s great for commuting in all weathers. The straps and roll top sealing system can be a faff some mornings but it’s a small price to pay for having a 100% waterproof bag that keeps your stuff bone dry.

MrNice
    Free Member

I’ve an ortlieb one that is very similar to that dhb one but *a lot* simpler design. I think it came from wiggle. Basic, waterproof, comfortable. Only downside is the top corners are visible when I look over my shoulder – I guess that’s what some of the additional bits are for on the dhb.

CaptJon
    Free Member
    lemonysam
    Free Member

I use an Exped Cludburst. It’s simple, inexpensive and waterproof and if I need to carry it empty it rolls up into a pocket.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks Jon but £160 on hipster gear is a bit steep.

mikey74
    Free Member

How do those dhb fit? Good enough for a racey position in a road bike?

eulach

Frame bag FTW. No more sweaty back and more aero than Cadbury’s with bubbles. I
    I can’t recommend one highly enough.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Deuter Alpine
    Fits laptop and feels like you’re been spooned all the way to work.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I use the luggit 25l on my cx and road bikes and it’s been great. You do have to find the “sweet spot” on your back though.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Alpkit Gourdon

qwerty
    Free Member

Alpkit Gourdon for cheap n dry

Ortlieb Velocity for quality & dry & seen (in yellow)

Ortlieb Messenger for hipster & dry

Ortlieb panniers for sensible & dry

TiRed

Deuter Race EXP Air, barely notice I’m wearing it. But I like panniers too.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I also use an overboard pack in winter, I use the 20 litre pro-light version.

Great pack, lots of straps to tidy up though before first use.

hairylegs
    Free Member

It’s a personal choice, but after 30 odd years of knocking around in outdoor pursuits, I’ve found Osprey sacks pretty hard to beat. I’m using a Osprey Escapist 25 for commuting. Fits the bill and also gets plenty of abiuse at the weekend

scruff
    Free Member

The big Camelback ones are good and look just like a normal rucksack, but great for commuting. I put a yellow cover over mine when dark / raining.

winston
    Free Member

After years of commuting I would always use bags on the bike somewhere if possible. Framebags are great but don’t detatch easily – panniers are really the best option by far. Altura Dryline 20 is a good choice

brassneck

Still loving my 14.99 running one from Sports Direct.

Karrimor rucksack

Price seems to be all over the price, but it’s stuffable (I get clothes and shoes in, sometimes a small towel but usually leave that at work), sits nice and low on your hips and has a couple of waist pockets for monet, phone, pass etc.

Might have to buy a couple more in case it splits, but it’s been rugged enough so far.

Panniers are better, but I just find them a bit of a faff. haven’t touched them since trying this.

Spud

Using a Grivel from Rock and Run, £28 and with a fluoro cover has been great.

stumpy01

The larger Vaude bag I have, which I’ve used for commuting has adjustable straps that you can alter depending on your height.

You can get the pack to sit lower if you find it sitting too high and clashing with your helmet.
    I think it’s a Splash Air 20+5. They do a bigger one too, I think.

The only issue I found with it for commuting was the curved rigid back (it has a ‘suspended back’ to keep your back drier) means that you have to be quite careful how you pack it or you end up with voids where straight stuff you put in doesn’t fit against the curve.
    But that said, I used to get quite a lot of kit in there and it’s held up well to general use, trips to Spain loaded with 3L bladder and knee/elbow pads hanging off it. Must be 6 or 7 years old now.

mrchrispy

I cant be doing with a normal back pack for cycling…has to be one of those that sits on mesh mounts so you dont get a sweaty back

mikey74
    Free Member

Are there any that can be used for running as well?

brassneck

I run with the Karrimor one too.

Also have a Deuter bag that sits off the back with a mesh frame and has a raincover etc. – only use that for big days out when I need the capacity and to fit a bladder – as a bag I prefer the Karrimor. Bought it after getting a Camelbak Charge which was a revelation for mtb rides, bit a bit cosy for a full kit commute.

neilm
    Free Member

This guy makes custom made cycling bags at a pretty sensible price.

Mack Workshop

mikey74
    Free Member

Hmmmm not really my thing there neil

Prophet2
    Free Member

Timely thread as I have a need for a new commuting backpack. Have just purchased the dhb Luggit Slice, cheers for the recommendation guys!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New commuting back pack’ is closed to new replies.