Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • New commuter bike required for 20 miles each way – advice gratefully received
  • wavejumper
    Free Member

Putting this out there to the single track world crew……

I’m about to start doing a 20 mile each way (on road) commute so need a new pair of wheels.

There are couple of decent hills on the route and I want to cover the ground as quickly as possible. I’ll need mudguards and panniers of course. It also needs to be comfortable to ride as I’ll spend a decent amount of time in the saddle.

To add another twist I need a bike with a fairly short top tube / reach. I’m 5″6 but have a relatively short torso in relation to my overall height. In a road bike I look to get 510 or 520 top tube.

Budget: I’m fairly loose. I don’t really want to pay more than £1500 but can if I have to. Equally, if I can find something for £400 that does the job then I’ll go for that as the bike will only be used for commuting duties.

I’m thinking fast tourer, Cx, or road bike that can take the panniers etc? Suggestions please, even better if you know somewhere that has something on offer (new or Second Hand.
    What do you recon?

russjp
    Free Member

I use a disc equipped Marin Lombard CX, fitted with 28c puncture protection tyres, full length mudguards, shorter stem for comfort and single sides SPD’s so I can use any shoe. Cost me £350 second hand (but in as new condition) and another £100 on changes. Done about 3000 miles on it, including 15 miles per day commute. I don’t use a rack as I either use a bumbag or get stuff dropped off at work once a week

huws
    Free Member

Dolan preffisio comes in a 511mm top tube, takes guards and racks, is fairly racy and can be had new for just over £600.

Tempted by one myself.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

I do 22miles each way, three or four times a week.

I have a Genesis equilibrium, with full guards with long flaps and panniers. Ive covered 7000 miles on it now and its comfortable, fast and fun to ride. However im just about fed up with how crap the brakes are in the rain, im switching to a fast tourer or CX bikes.

My current list is:

Kenesis ATR Tripster
    Sabbath September Disc
    Genesis Croix de fer
    Charge Plug
    Planet x Kaffenback 2
    Whyte Suffolk

wavejumper
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas. That Dolan looks quite good.
    Buzz – I’ll work my way down that list. Are they disk then? Should I go for disk over rim brakes?

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

If your buying just for commuting, plan on riding in all weather with loaded panniers then i would definitely go for disks.

You also have to factor in with the amount of mileage a 20mile each way commute racks up you will put alot of wear on the rims. I wore out a set of rims in a year.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

RoadRat? Disk ready, all the lugs you’d need for racks and guards.

wavejumper
    Free Member

Roadrat looks too long to me and is flat bars? Think I need drops for a decent turn of speed.

tonyd

I have an Alfine equipped Pompetamine with 32c tyres, TRP Spyre disc brakes, guards and a rack. It’s pretty heavy but comfortable and bomb proof. Personally I’m not sold on the whole Alfine thing now I’ve tried it.

Not sure on the geometry but it’s a small and the TT is fairly short. If you’re anywhere near Swinley you’re welcome to swing a leg over it.

samuri
    Free Member

Genesis day one, fixed with disks. Awesome. Weighs a ton but once it’s going it never stops.

tonyd

20 miles each way on a fixed wheel? Nails!

gordimhor

I have a trek crossrip its comfortable fast enough and low maintenance.

wiggles
    Free Member

Rode a roubaix with disks today. Good bike apart from the fact it is £1500 and the non-disc one has 105 rather than sora and only £100 more.

wavejumper
    Free Member

Don’t think my legs would cope with 40 miles a day on a fixed wheel.
    Tonyd – thanks for the offer but unfortunately I’m in Bristol. Will look at a pompetamine though.

Any more ideas? It looks like I may be able to get what II need for less than a grand which is good.

Conqueror
    Free Member

cotic escapade
    planet X kaffenback
    planet X – new alloy disc road on its way
    pinnacle pyrolite
    salsa vaya (might be at top of budget though) and other salsa

toby1

No idea on top tube length but the Surly Straggler would be to of my list, great looking bike and I rally want one!

dwhcampbell
    Free Member

May I recommend in true stw fashion a genesis croix de fer. I am a similar size and a 50cm suites me fine. Commute about 20 miles a day on it.

528 top tube btw.

Daffy

I’m currently doing around 27 total per day, and lightness makes all the difference for me. I use either a Day One 11 or a pickenfkick, both with large but light tyres. I definitely feel happier on the PnF which is around 7lbs lighter. Like Tony, I’m not sold on the Alfine; the Versa shifters are pants, and it’s a lot of weight at the back which I do feel on the climbs.

I’d consider something like an XLS with a seat post rack and race blades.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

IMO..

I’d get a lightweight (i.e, no steel!) CX bike with discs, full guards.

e.g.
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3201

I use panniers when necessary, but find the bike feels much lighter and faster if i use a rucksack.

damascus
    Free Member

I run a kinesis tripster disc. Really comfy bike. Has lugs for full mudguards and racks and can take a fairly wide Tyre in winter.

However, have you considered a synapse 105 disc? If you are just doing road this looks a good choice. Reviews suggest it comes with lugs for full guards. They seem to be around 1100 online.

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/cannondale-synapse-105-disc-road-bike-2014-p229116?gclid=CLaI07CXzb4CFYjjwgoda6AAhQ

wavejumper
    Free Member

That synapse 105 looks pretty decent bet. It is 100% road commute so may be a faster bet than a CX?
    I may also swing my leg over a Genesis CdF as a shop down the road is a dealer.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I have a Whyte Stirling and it’s a hell of a bike. Probably within 1mph of a race road bike, disc brakes and mudguards, 2×10, light, feels like it just wants to be propelled. Highly recommended.

wavejumper
    Free Member

Just had a quick look and don’t think the Synapse will take panniers though 🙁

hopefiendboy

I got a second hand Cannondale Bad Boy 700c hybrid bike off ebay for 400. Had it since 2010 doing 20 miles a day, perfect fast commuter with 28c tyres. Maker sure you get disks and mudguards, rack as an option. Never missed a beat apart from the usual wear and tear.

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve an Alfine on an old pompino (135mm track ends one) for a 15miles each way commute and I’m sold on the alfine.

it’s coming up to 4 years old and apart from a pump/spoke interface moment everything is still original and working perfectly.

I generally run specalized armadillo but on pave for a 125mile sportive coming up.

I also run bingo bars so I can run a hydro disc on the front and still have a coupla comfy positions (bar is a bit narrow though with the alfine shifter).

For long term cheapness with commuting I don’t see how you can beat an alfine.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

http://road.cc/content/review/117844-pinnacle-arkose-2-cyclo-cross-bike

CX bike, aluminium frame, carbon fork, hydraulic disk brakes, mudguard and pannier mounts, 1×10 gearing – £900.

Stick some 28mm gatorskins on for road riding and you’re sorted.

Has the added bonus that you can use it off road too

Gary_M
    Free Member

I do a 20 mile each way commute 3-5 days a week. I have two bikes – a cx bike with 28mm road tyres, sks longboard guards, large saddle bag, front and rear lights, this is my winter and wet day bike. I also have a dolan preffisio (bought frame only) which is my dry summer day commuter.

Both are great and on a nice day its great to ride a fast lightish bike without all the usual commuting paraphernalia.

For £1500 you could get two bikes. Commuting 20 miles each way daily in all weathers means drivetrain and wheels don’t last long.

And having ridden a non disc equipped cx bike for the last 8 winters/wet summers I would definitely go for discs!

drlex
    Free Member

I’ll echo tonyd’s views on an Alfine-Pompetamine – wouldn’t bother again. What I would recommend is a hub dynamo and a decent set of lights powered from such.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That Canyon is really nice but I could see that rear guard flapping about a lot with both stays so central to the guard

sandwicheater

Dawes Galaxy AL, £600.

Revolution Country Traveller, £500

Revolution Country Explorer, £700 (disk)

tonyd

What I would recommend is a hub dynamo and a decent set of lights powered from such.

This, I have a dynamo hub and think it’s excellent. Unfortunately the head unit I have won’t drive a rear light as well.

igm

I do that distance on a Gyphon with either 28mm slicks or 2″ big apples.

Works nicely and also does off-road with knobblies – also have a look at the Fargo.

tonyd

OP – take a look at Jamie’s thread and make him an offer if it fits. Lovely looking bike, wish I’d have gone CdF…..

didgerman
    Free Member

Just got one of these….:
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/whyte-malvern-14
    Maybe not the fastest of all, but I often hit thirty. But in terms of journey time you won’t notice, I’m not overly bothered by potholes on this bike, so I’m head up watching traffic and putting some effort in.
    Had a similar speedy flat bar from Hoy before. Was lighter and faster, but smashing through potholes was a bad one, and took your eye off the road.
    I look forward to riding this bike, out for twenty miles this afternoon.

davosaurusrex

I’m just about to put my 2011 Bianchi Cameleonte 3 up for sale. Little use, shimano hydraulic discs, full length SKS mudguards. Adjustable stem, mainly LX with an XT rear mech. Rides really nicely but think it’s a 58 or 59cm so prob a bit big for the OP. If anyone is interested I’m after £450 for it.

Same as the one in this Evans link;

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/camaleonte-3-2011-hybrid-bike-ec025835

I’m in Worthing if anyone is interested

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I thought these were great value

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-substance-cx11-sora-2014/

Sora groupset, BB5’s and Reynolds tubing, rack and mudgaurd mounts too.

gazc
    Free Member

if i didn’t have a load of parts to build up my vaya i got when billy’s did 1/2 price salsa stuff i’d have one of these

Verenti Substance £600 @ Wiggle

EDIT: just seen YoKaiser comment above so ditto…

natrix
    Free Member

That Verenti is quite heavy.

I think the OP needs to decide whether he’s going to be commuting every day come rain or shine (needs something durable or possibly two bikes) or just once a week when the sun shines (Planet X carbon Pro or similar lightweight speed machine).

acjim
    Free Member

When my current commuter finally dies (it will happen eventually) I think I’ll go for a chinese carbon cx frame (or planet x equivalent).

Discs – maybe hydro if I can afford it
    Plastic so won’t corrode
    Light enough for the odd race and offroad ride
    Ugly enough to not be too nickable in the bike shed!

wavejumper
    Free Member

Wow. I’m overwhelmed by all of the responses. Wasn’t expecting so much help.
    To answer some points. I’m planning to commute by bike at least 4 days a week. I’m now set on disk brakes as well. I haven’t had time to look at all suggestions yet but will do. I’ve already got a summer road bike which I may use on dry long summer days but it won’t take guards or panniers so it’s not a long term option.
    I’ve never ridden a CX bike in my life. How much slower will it be than my road bike??
    I’m also thinking now that I’ll keep an eye out for something on sale or second hand giving me more cash to put towards an all mountain bike 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘New commuter bike required for 20 miles each way – advice gratefully received’ is closed to new replies.