Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • new chain fitting….
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

is it as simple as measuring current chain on the bike and removing the excess links on the new one?? also can i take off my powerlinks from the old one and use them on a new one?

i know its lame but i never really had to fit one before 🙁 has anyone got an idiots guide to fitting one for me please 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anyone please 🙂

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Isn't there a guide with your chain? It's something like Big front/Big rear plus 2 links, missing out the rear mech but don't take my word for it.

BigGraham
    Free Member

Run chain thru mech as normal and round little'st sprocket and granny, mech should just be put under tension so chin doesnt rub on the guide plate chop to that length 🙂 happy days! (if you're running full suss then do it big to big and allow a bit for chaingrowth duting shock compression)

slartybartfast
    Free Member

Take old chain off, lay new chain out next to it cut to same length.
    You should be fine re using your old powerlinks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

for length – yes that will do – although the best way is to put the chain round the biggest at the back and the biggest at the front without going thru the mech and add two links. Check that when you are in small / small you have some chain tension – not that you should ever use big / big or small / small.

You can reuse powerlinks but new ones would be better.

However if you let the chain get too worn it might well have worn the cassette which means it will jump teeth under power – in which case either refit the old cahin and use it until its totally goosed or fit a new cassette

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Yes and this might help too 🙂

bassspine
    Free Member

don't cut it to the same length as the old one, you'll be cutting it to the length of worn chain

Onzadog
    Free Member

Don't forget, if it's a bouncer, depending on design, to cycle the suspension when doing the big/big thing. Some designs can have an amount of chain growth that makes a difference. Even seen someone bottom out the sspension in big/big and symiltaniously rip the rear mech off?

woffle
    Free Member

bitter experience would suggest replacing the cassette too (depending on how worn it is) – if you've left it a while you may find that a new chain on old cassette = chain splipping (as already pointed out above).

Edric64
    Free Member

Rings maybe shot as well

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers guys!

cassette and chain bought together in december…..new xt chainset bought in jan…so hopefully the cassette wont be knackered, and chainset should be ok….

i think ill go with the big ring, to biggest sprocket and add two links…

silly question but when i cut off the excess, will the powerlink just slide onto either end of the unnatched chain? thus making it complete, dont have to anything further with the ends of the chain before adding the powerlink?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

onzadog thats got me worried, it is F/s orange 5???? cannot i not use the big ring to big sprocket and add 2 links guide then?

helpppppppp 🙁

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ps the chain is just short of sitting in the 1.0 on the chain wear, it doesnt slide in, but it nearly does and will if i force it a little….

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

sorrry just one quick question and thread over….

with me having f/s does it just mean i need to release all the air from rear shock, then do the largest cog, largest sprocket +2 extra full links and that will be ok? pleeeeeeease help 🙂 dont wanna cock it up and waste 20 odd quid 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anyoneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee please 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

On a frame like that, I'd drop the air out of the shock to do the big big combo thing. When you measure and break the chain, remember that the quick link is half a pair and it's a pair of outer plates. So, get the chain big big and match an inner to an outer, then add an inner set, cut here. When you add the quick link, you will have added one pair in total.

HTH

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

onzadog thank you so much for that last reply, has made me confident of doing it myself, cant thank you enough! Cheers!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

onzadog, one more quick question pleaseeeeeeeeeeee…

what exactly is a complete link? is it outer and inner plates combined, that equals on complete link? 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

He's saying add an inner and outer (i.e. 1", and th eouter being the power links) to the shortest length that will connect on big-big.

rootes1

just count the links in the old one, shorten the new one to the same inc the connector link – also use a new connector link, new chain should come with one

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘new chain fitting….’ is closed to new replies.