Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • New car time – touran, passatt est, fabia estate – your opinions
  • v666ern
    Free Member

My wife needs a new car, we have a grand espace and 2 small kids.
    She’s used to all the extra space (7 seats) – so touran
    She does want to downsize (only need 5 seats realistically) so fabia
    I threw the passatt estate into the mix as a midway and it’s a nicer place to sit to visit in-laws 300 mile round-trip once a month.
    Will be used for a 30 mile dual carriageway commute + lugging kids and stuff with us when older. Looking between 12-17k

Help of stw knowledge – or are they all pretty good?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Fabia Estates look a bit, erm, ‘special’ IMHO.

Touran or Passat are good – depends whether you like the higher driving position of the Touran vs the Passat.

matt_outandabout

How long will you keep it? Do you plan kids+1?
    Our Touran had great space (for three kids, not two) – but as they are all ‘stretching’ as the hit teens, the would struggle in most estates, and a Touran size thing is much, much better
    For two kids, and space, look at a Superb (estate) – we looked and they were great value, huge and comfy, especially the petrol engined ones. – They are just not ideal for three on the back seat.

mikertroid
    Free Member

New Fabia Estate is a cracking piece of kit. Bigger than a focus estate inside.

I drove a 90 hp hatch and it was fantastic. If I were to get one of go for the slightly higher power with all the bells and whistles and it’d fit in your budget nicely.

anagallis_arvensis

We have had a fabia estate 1.9tdi for years now. Its been great but with one kid and a big dog we could use a bit more space. Fugly and the newer ones are even fuglier if that bothers you, doesnt me.

onlysteel
    Free Member

We used to look at VAG first, but after a troublesome Golf and appalling service from main dealer, Mrs made a switch to Mazda, based primarily on their reliability ratings. Now had a couple of Mazda 3’s, which to date haven’t missed a beat. Couple of friends have had 6 estates and really rated them as load luggers. Might be worth considering?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Volvo V70?

I was window shopping online today and they look good in a very un-driver way, the Volvo website even had something like this written on it “you may find yourself taking the long way home from work” so far, so car website “to take in more relaxing feelings” ah.

They even do a 1.6 diesel in a car the size of a bus, it does lots of mpg, but jeeezus, does it even move under its own steam?

Pz_Steve

Don’t know about the others but I can recommend the Fabia.

I have a 2009 1.4tdi (estate). It’s like a flipping TARDIS… it’ll get a Banshee Prime in with the wheels on, but is a foot narrower than a Focus. The narrowness is great for me on the lanes, but I appreciate it might not suit you if you have to get kids and their kit in. Never let me down in over 107,000 miles and does 50-60 mpg (measured, not recorded) depending on how I drive it. Cheap insurance and £20pa RFL.

Also very good for a little ‘un on a long drive. I did Torridon to Penzance a couple of months ago with only 1 break for fuel, and no aches and pains afterwards (and I’m a crumbly old codger).

It is ugly, mind, but you can’t see that from the inside.

andy4d

Had 2 passats, loved my 1st one, old style, hated the last one 2009 model. When changing that one I looked at the touran but was not impressed by what you got for the money so got a sportage instead and love it. Great value for money. Just had too many problems with last car that vw charged too much to sort imo. People go on about vw quality but I think its all hype these days. The fabia is a good shout but a bit smaller so depends on your needs.

geoffj

B Max

bol

How has this thread got so far without anyone saying Octavia Estate? I just don’t recognise STW any more. 🙁

matt_outandabout

Would the cost of ‘downsizing’ from the Touran not be a lot. Many of the cars you mention are bigger size externally than the Touran, which is itself a Golf on steroids…?

As you kids grow, the legroom of the Touran is just brilliant.

rob2
    Free Member

We’re just about to sell our Octavia estate. 61plate and only 35k. Save loads n spend it on bikes 🙂

Seriously though they are huge

hammyuk
    Free Member

Stick that Caddy Maxi Life in the mix.
    More room than the lot, side sliding doors so a doddle with kids in the car park and swallows bikes whole

BillMC

Check the reliability index, I seem to remember the Touran didn’t come out too well.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com

MoreCashThanDash

If the Fabia estate is a serious contender (I suspect might be a bit small) have a look at a Roomsters. One of the best smaller cars I’ve looked at.

trail_rat
    Free Member

cant see your car from the outside……why does it matter if its ugly.

a cool looking car does not make you look cool.

Ill save a few thousand any day not to have a VW badge on – and ill pay good money not to have to deal with my local VW dealer 😀

roomster is nasty looking also but the high boot gives you lots more useful space over an estate for bikes.

Scamper
    Free Member

Touran has 3 proper seats which some of the others don’t and still the biggest boot. Presently vw are knocking off circa 35% from the out going model so may fit into your budget. Will have to be quick though and this deal may only apply if you take out finance but worth investigating

hammyuk
    Free Member

Maxi Life has a far bigger boot than the Touran and more leg room
    The rears are all full adult sized seats

anagallis_arvensis

Does the Roomster have any more useable space than the Fabia Estate. Its just taller.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its just taller.

well they didnt lift the boot floor so volumetric space is larger than the estate – as for that being useful- thats just a matter of packing.

Upside means- seats down , 2 bikes in without wheels off…. we all laughed when my mate got his when they were first released. we soon realised the error of our ways.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP hard to know where to start as the Fabia/Octavia/Touran sized cars are the sweet spot for family vehicles and the choice is bewildering. Saw a new Fabia estate recently on display at the airport, larger than older models and not so bad looking. Whether you go for Touran vs Estate will be based on how much load carrying you need and seat flexibility (I loved a RAV4 we had, big on inside, small on outside and rear seats removed for load carrying, terrible on fuel mind). Toyota do their Verso range and the Avensis estate might be worth a look.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Toyota do their Verso range and the Avensis estate might be worth a look.

There’s also an Auris Estate now, with wheels off I can get the bike in the boot without putting the seats down.

Daffy

The new Focus estate is a pretty car, and with Ford’s engine lineup, it’d be my preference to a Fabia estate.

Are you a VAG man/family? No shame in it, I gravitate toward BMWs, but would take the Focus over a 1 Series.

v666ern
    Free Member

How quickly things change, the budget has now been slashed to 10k!
    Car shopping with kids isn’t fun
    Were looking into the Toyota too now.
    Scamper is correct though the vw chap basically said you can get a new touran now for 17k which is a hell of a saving but we’re not happy having such abig outgoing each month so now sh stuff
    Thanks all you’ve been a big help

Trekster

BillMC – Member
    Check the reliability index, I seem to remember the Touran didn’t come out too well.

5yrs, 75mls without any problems with a 2.0Tdi, 140. Never spared the horses and towed a caravan on a few trips for 2yrs. Recommend by me 😆
    When We downsize from our Sorrento (caravan towing machine) we will be considering another Touran, Roomster or Yeti by Skoda. MrsT likes a high driving position and we have 4 grand kids to haul around regularly 💡

curto80
    Free Member

There are some bargains to be had on the Touran at the moment ahead of the new launch . Get on Carwow, 17k just about gets you a brand new one.

T1000
    Free Member

Test drive the Toyota fully loaded with passengers before buying one.

The ones we’ve tried were wobbly and horrible when loaded up, it felt like they’d fitted too big a body to the platform

curto80
    Free Member

Sorry, skipped a few posts before writing that!

stumpy01

Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but that pic of the bike in the back of the Corolla has got me intrigued.
    Can you get a bike with wheels off into the back of most mid-sized estates? I always assumed they wouldn’t go in like that…

Was looking at the Auris estate the other day & the only diesel seems to be the 1.4, which looks a bit gutless. Guess they are encouraging people into the hybrid option?

Daffy

stumpy01 – Member
    Can you get a bike with wheels off into the back of most mid-sized estates? I always assumed they wouldn’t go in like that..

Depends on the wheelbase of the bike and the width of the bars if you want it to go flat under the load cover.

If your’re happy to have it standing up, most estates will handle an inverted/angled (depending upon wheel arches) bike with the wheels off. My04 3 series will take two bikes in the boot with the wheels off without lowering the seats.

stumpy01

Daffy – Member

Depends on the wheelbase of the bike and the width of the bars if you want it to go flat under the load cover.

If your’re happy to have it standing up, most estates will handle an inverted/angled (depending upon wheel arches) bike with the wheels off. My04 3 series will take two bikes in the boot with the wheels off without lowering the seats.

Cool. Cheers. Guess some of it is determined by how much intrusion there into the load bay by the wheel arches and stuff? That Auris boot looks quite ‘square’ in that regard, with minimal intrusion.
    My longest bike (I think) is a medium FSR, so quite possible that it should go in without too much bother, which is good to know.
    When the time comes to replace my car, I’ve been looking for estates that have easy-fold seats of some sort (like the Civic Tourer) but if I would get away without folding them at all, then all the better!

DezB
    Free Member

Get her a Passat with a DSG box. She’ll love you forever.

Although the Mondeo I had before had better luggage capacity and was a much smoother m’way car.

MoreCashThanDash

Mate has the Auris 1.4 diesel estate, it shifts very rapidly!

ebygomm
    Free Member

Mine is a 1.6 petrol, it’s v. comfortable to drive but not as responsive as my old corolla was (1.4). I find the gearing a bit random too but love that I can get my bike completely out of sight in the boot. Seats can be lowered from in the boot too which is good.

matt_outandabout

@stumpy

A large 26″ frame fits in our Ibiza estate, and used to fit across the back seat of the Yaris…. A mid size estate may be a bit ‘thread the keyhole’ but most bikes should fit.

stumpy01

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    Mate has the Auris 1.4 diesel estate, it shifts very rapidly!

I’m sure Autotrader reckons the 1.4 diesel does 0-60 in 13secs. Which isn’t exactly rapid.
    Perhaps they have it wrong?

ebygomm – Member
    Mine is a 1.6 petrol, it’s v. comfortable to drive but not as responsive as my old corolla was (1.4). I find the gearing a bit random too but love that I can get my bike completely out of sight in the boot. Seats can be lowered from in the boot too which is good.

Yeah, I’d love to own a car I could get the bike in the back of, with no faff of seats down. Ah, seats can be lowered from the boot – good info. Does the seat base move out of the way to make a flat floor, or does the back just flop down onto it (like it does in the Leon estate).

stumpy01

matt_outandabout – Member

@stumpy

A large 26″ frame fits in our Ibiza estate, and used to fit across the back seat of the Yaris…. A mid size estate may be a bit ‘thread the keyhole’ but most bikes should fit.

Blimey…! In the back of an Ibiza estate! Impressed! My Wife has the 3dr hatchback (12 plate FR) and the boot is tiny.

I will have to give my bike a clean and take it with me when looking for my next car!
    Great info. Thanks all.
    Oh, and sorry OP for the hijack….

downshep

Just traded a 9 year old Touran in for 1 year old Superb Estate. Touran uber practical for the amount of road space it took up, perfect driving position, creaky interior, versatile seats, dull, reliable. Superb far better built, big comfy cruiser with silly amounts of rear legroom and boot space. Generally more refined at cruising speeds tho’ 225 x 45 x 17 a bit jiggly compared to Touran’s 195 x 65 x 15. Better cruising economy with Superb, 55+ easy due to longer gearing. Almost 4.9 metres long, needs care in car parks. Don’t regret the switch.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Does the seat base move out of the way to make a flat floor, or does the back just flop down onto it (like it does in the Leon estate).

Seat base doesn’t move out the way but it’s still a flat floor when the boot floor is in the raised position – boot floor can be dropped by approx. 4 inches

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘New car time – touran, passatt est, fabia estate – your opinions’ is closed to new replies.