Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New car time, odd question.
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Choice of Ford, Vauxhall and Renault. We’re not allowed vans so it has to be a car but a van would be better.

Anyone know any of these cars that take a factory or dealer fit first row dog/luggage guard?

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Theyre not cars, they’re brands.

simon_g

Not seen a fitted metal type dog guard that goes behind the front row. You sometimes see estates with load nets that go there though when the rear seats are dropped, sometimes part of the load cover that can stay attached to the back of the seats.

matt_outandabout

Galaxy. More like a van than anything else.

With middle row down ours is 7′ long and flat.

oliverracing

That’s like asking can you fit a pannier rack to a specialized, trek and giant…

Bimbler
    Free Member

If you have a dog in the back and you have a smash isn’t the dog going to be smooshed into the guard thingy.

tthew

Ford Tourneo Connect is a van with seats and a posh inside. They make a Transit Custom version too if you want bigger, and then of course you can get similar VW’s in Transporter or Caddy sizes. Sure Vauxhall will do something like it in their vans too. Dog guard may actually be a little bit harder in any of those options though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve found a first row (sits behind the drivers seat) full height guard for a focus estate.

The reason I’ve mentioned brands is that those are the brands on the list. I don’t care if it’s a fiesta or a mondeo if it’s got that guard, hence why the question was phrased that way. Got some kit that I have to carry that I’d like to stay behind me in the event of a crash.

jimw
    Free Member

Bimbler – Member
    If you have a dog in the back and you have a smash isn’t the dog going to be smooshed into the guard thingy.

They would have less distance to travel than if they came through the passenger compartment and through the windscreen after taking your head off.
    Even a book of maps on the parcel shelf can kill, let alone a 15kg+ dog

njee20
    Free Member

I imagine the end result of that happening would be a lot like this:

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m not carrying dogs, or playdoh.

irc

If you are carrying kit that is so heavy it will seriously inure you in a crash are you not better with a van. Built for carrying loads etc.

Or if the load is too big to go in the boot behind the back seats then buy a big estate with attachment points on the floor for retaining straps. Dog guards won’t necessarily be designed for stopping big loads in a crash.

jimw
    Free Member

If you are carrying kit that is so heavy it will seriously inure you in a crash are you not better with a van. Built for carrying loads etc.

The point is, even quite light things can seriously injure you in even a relatively low speed crash if not secured properly.

You are quite right about securing loads properly though. The back seats of cars are designed to withstand high loads when upright.

In the UK the Highway Code rule 57 states

Rule 57
    When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

Sorry, but this is one of my hobbyhorses having seen the result of what can go wrong.

iainc

sounds like it is a work supplied vehicle ? That they require you to carry heavy kit in ?

Maybe challenge their stipulation of no vans ? Lots of evidence to back you up a few clicks away

Onzadog
    Free Member

I agree, we should have vans. The company doesn’t agree. Wrong image for an engineer. I’m not interested in all that bollocks, I just want to do my job.

The Ford focus estate does come with the option of a full height guard that fixes to factory fitted anchor points and works like a bulkhead.

I’m just wondering if anyone knows of an alternative vehicle by one of those 3 brands, that might do similar.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New car time, odd question.’ is closed to new replies.