Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • New Car Dilemma
  • algarvebairn
    Free Member

I'm getting shot of my BMW 6 series. Its a nice car but its getting harder to justify the cost and tbh if feel like a bit of a dick in it. I've always been a hot hatch sort of a guy and the cars before the BMW were Golf GTi, Alfa 147, Golf Gti, Golf GTi.

So I'm thinking Golf, Scirocco, Alfa Brera, Focus ST, Mini Cooper S and I've got £15k to spend so Scirocco is probably out. No bike duties as I have a Pickup. There is the daily school run to contend with but as far as practicality goes I just need 4/5 seats.

Can anyone inspire me?

br
    Free Member

How about a 'little' BMW 130i?

algarvebairn
    Free Member

b r, meant also to say i'm no great fan of RWD cars. I only ever felt confident in the BMW on a totally dry surface although I freely admit that this may be down to my driving ability asw opposed to the car.

I'd go for a Golf GTI (not the current version, but the previous one) or an Audi TT.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Bump.

Come on guys the stw hordes normally love a car thread.

flip
    Free Member

I've just had a VW Tiguan, totally love it 😉 give me new respect for German cars.

flip
    Free Member

Oh i test drove a Cooper s a few mths ago and while fun and nippy the rear space was truly poo.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Pure fun, I would go for an Imported Honda Integra Type-R, 220bhp rev monster!!!!

But the Civic can take a couple of bikes as well as having loads of space for kids!!

PeteG55
    Free Member

Focus ST, should get a nice one for your budget and a bit newer than a golf for the same money. General consensus suggests the Focus a better handling machine too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

4 door A3 with a lunatic turbo-diesel and quattro. Yum.

Hairychested
    Free Member

How about an Astra SRi?

Edukator
    Free Member

Lupo or C1

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lupo or C1

as far as practicality goes I just need 4/5 seats.

Rules out the Lupo, IMO. Don't know about the C1

dooosuk
    Free Member

Sounds like you'd be happiest back with a Golf GTI to me.

Or how about an R32?

Focus ST would be a good shout it you want a change of marque.

How's the depreciation on the Alfa?

parkesie
    Free Member

2nd hand brera q4 dribble

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Dooosok. Don't really fancy another golf. Having had mark 1,2 and 4 I thought they were getting progressively worse.

Flip, the lack of space will rule out the cooper.

Gingerbloke, forgot about civic type r. Good shout.

I quite like the focus but I'm 37 and don't know if I'm a bit old.

Maybe a crazy-ass a3 as the cap'n suggests may be the shout.

Jimbo
    Free Member

The Brera is NOT practical! No room in the back whatsoever, despite what the rear "seats" would otherwise suggest.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Get an audi a4 3tdi quattro avant s-line, amazing cars with amazing fuel economy

Jase
    Free Member

Your 37, get the new Volvo hot hatch then 🙂

markenduro
    Free Member

Passatt r32?

GJP
    Free Member

A3 Sportback 2.0T FSI Quattro – understated, stunning engine and the real Audi 4WD experience.

Nothing wrong with what scottyjohn says either but I would avoid the 2.0TDi (tractors) other than the new common rail ones

netgoose
    Free Member

save the planet, get fit, save money, get one of these…

DickBarton

Alfa

br
    Free Member

b r, meant also to say i'm no great fan of RWD cars. I only ever felt confident in the BMW on a totally dry surface although I freely admit that this may be down to my driving ability asw opposed to the car.

Ok, then spend some money learning to drive one. I'd recommend the Jonathan Palmer outfit over in Bedford – I've been a couple of times on sponsored/corporate days and drove everything karts, Caterhams, Clios, 911's, Formula Audi, 3/4scale Le Mans, Nissan 350's. Plus did wet weather stuff, electronics on (and off) training etc.

On my second trip I even got the 'Driver of the Day' trophy – which really pissed off the BMW/Audi/Merc sales-manager contingent.

Try a Mk V golf GTI. Worlds apart from any earlier models in terms of power delivery, grip and handling. Sadly had to hand mine back at the end of its 4 year lease 2 weeks ago after 115,000 smiley miles.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Veering towards focus. I'd go and test drive one if it wasn't snowing again!

bruk

Slightly off topic maybe but what about a Skoda Superb V6. Was nosying around for STW favourite car ie Octavia and noticed the prices of those things drops very quickly. Ugly but q-car material.

Black
    Free Member

Alfa 147 will be replaced this year, so dinnae buy that.

New Renaultsport Megane?

Which model 6 series are you getting shot of?

PeteG55
    Free Member

GJP – Member
    A3 Sportback 2.0T FSI Quattro – understated, stunning engine and the real Audi 4WD experience.

Nothing wrong with what scottyjohn says either but I would avoid the 2.0TDi (tractors) other than the new common rail ones

Now I could well be wrong on everything I say, but as far as I'm aware….
    A3 is a Golf and will have the VW 4Motion drivtrain (transverse mounted engine) not the longditudinal setup of a real Audi Quattro. I'm not sure what 'the real Audi 4WD experience' is, but if the quattros I've driven are anything to go by, conventional FWD Golf/Audi is a better drive, with better performance and economy. Audi Quattros have always been front wheel drive bias with nose heavy handling.
    The 2.0TDi's are all common rail where as the 1.9 before it wasn't. Some of the 1.9s were a conventional diesel distributor pump and could be described as adequate, but later PD 1.9s were a different beast and generally a good engine. There was 130bhp versions of this engine and I'm pretty sure there was also a 150bhp version in a VW car too.

molgrips
    Free Member

There's also a diesel TT.

TBH tho all those cars you mentioned will make you look like a dick. If you mean Golf as in GTI.

If you like to drive fast then I'd definitely avoid the old PD engines – they are the one with all the torque low down. The new CR engines are way better to drive, they keep on pulling faster to the red line. Also the 140bhp 2.0 TDI workhorse goes to 200bhp with a simple remap.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

or an Audi TT.

They are a lovely car (although not good in a fight against a Landy 110 as I have just found out 🙁 )

I have the 2wd 2.0l petrol turbo and it is very quick with amazing low end torque. But after driving my cousin's RS4 I would seriously consider the Quattro next time simply because there is too much power to put down on a front wheel drive car in anything other than perfect dry conditions.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Black,

The 147 is being replace by th enew Guilleta, right?

The BMW is a 635 diesel.

molgrips
    Free Member

There is also a 4wd diesel TT.

Mastiles Fanylion, what's the TT like for bike carrying duties?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It can get one in with the back seat down and a wheel off. It does have a surprisingly big boot (as in length and width), it is not very deep though.

I reckon at a push I could get two in with both wheels off.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Actually I lie – I have to take both wheels off – it was my last car I could get away with one wheel off.

Bimbler
    Free Member

BMW 123d

hora
    Free Member

The Brera (although lovely) is a appalling choice for a mountain biker. I drove a friends (his mate owned it before him and is a mountain biker) and the rear was in a right state- gouged and numerous shabby scratches in the boot lip etc.

Plus two girls couldnt really fit in the rear.

I'd go for the 2.0T GTI Golf. You would be on a winner there. Plus its not that thirsty either.

geoffj

This is STW FFS there must be a Skoda which fits the bill!

will
    Free Member

Seat Leon Cupra R 225.

Job done 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘New Car Dilemma’ is closed to new replies.