Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New Camera Recomendations
  • ibis
    Free Member

Looking for a new digital camera, currently have a little point and shoot type one but would like something bigger but smaller than your standard SLR, not to big to carry around if you catch me drift.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Olympus Pen is worth a google.

Jonno

panasonic fz28, had one since last christmas and rate it very highly. just upgraded to a DSLR but am keeping the fz28 for when i don't want to take the SLR.

Think it has been superceeded by the FZ38 now though.

vrapan
    Free Member

Done to death lately but here is my take:

Olympus Pen / Pana GH1 are not quite exactly pocketable, very expensive, do not have viewfinders – average quality EVFs that have to be purchased separately and in one case you have to choose between EVF and flash sounds like a serious compromise to me. All that on top of few expensive compact lenses – cause really what is the point of spending the best part of 1000£ for a small DSLR if you are planning on doubling its size by using standard sized lenses.

So a small sized full DSLR like the E-450 might be a better option.

The better compromise in my opinion is a camera like the LX3/S90/Ricoh GDR III. Better/bigger sensors than most compacts, decent optics with wide angle bright lenses, RAW output and small enough to put in some sort of pocket – even if not in the shirt one 😉

HTTP404
    Free Member

panasonic GF1, Olympus EP1 – hybrid cameras ie not SLR but with interchangeable lens and four thirds sized photosensor.
    olympus e420s are small and relatively cheap. combined with a 25mm pancake lens could be interesting for you.

grumm
    Free Member

I'm massively tempted by a GF1

See here – http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=176358

heihei

GF1 is an awesome camera. With the 20mm lens, just about pocketable in a jacket or to hang off a rucksack in a Lowepro case. I've rarely used by D90 DSLR since getting it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

+1 for FZ28…. Or FZ35 is the slightly updated, tiny bit smaller model.

Lots of DSLR type features, plenty of manual control, superb intelligent auto mode.18x optical zoom and really good stabilization. Very happy with it. Fits perfectly on the front of my HAWG in a Lowepro case. Took the straps off and use a couple of karabiners to attach to the front (great idea, easy to get out for a quick shot!)

ibis
    Free Member

Thanks guy's this helps narrow things down a bit

grumm
    Free Member

heihei – any example pics? 🙂

I gather it's not so great for action shots?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New Camera Recomendations’ is closed to new replies.