Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New business as a sole trader, recommend me a business account…..
  • rickmeister

Just setting up, got an accountant, going Vat reg not Ltd, sole trader, not employing anyone yet…

Any recommendations for a business account? NatWest have a "2 yr free banking plus software package" offer on at the moment… any good options from your experience?

Thanks…

Hairychested
    Free Member

Several years with them prior to leaving the country. Never any problems or issues, no problem recommending. Useful on-line banking and Business Bankline services too.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I cannot recommend an Accountant, but I suspect you will change your mind about not going Ltd. As a director of a Ltd company you will see much more of your money as your NI bill will be far less than as a sole trader. You will also be able to draw a small salary and pay yourself periodic dividends.

Given you are going VAT registered I suspect your turnover is going to be quite healthy.

The following site gives a good overview. I used it when I was about to go IT contracting. There are plenty of guides explaining it all and they may also be able to help.

The UK’s largest contractor accountants

rickmeister

Thanks Hc…. I am already a NW customer so it seems the easy option. Just want to check if there is "another way"….

R

rickmeister

Flanagaj, good link there, Thanks

Hairychested
    Free Member

As for an accountant I spoke to Lisa Carr and she helped me a lot. http://www.freemancarr.com/
    Good luck!

lodious
    Free Member

I use Abbey business. Free for life, and generally been OK.

Bunnyhop

I too use Abbey business, which is now Santander. Although totally free, I am having trouble getting set back up with online banking (after losing my card last year), so still having to use the old fashioned cheque book and paying in system atm.

The only downside is that you should only use the cash machines for paying in, which can be a nuisance if the business if far away from a branch. The payoff for having free banking is worth that hassel imo.

rickmeister

Thanks Bunnyhop. Will check it out…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Been using HSBC for many years for business – generally rate them highly. Their internet banking is particularly good.

marsdenman
    Free Member

+1 for Santander (Abbey) – 'inconvenience' of lack of 'counter service' has, i'm told, been offset by a deal with the post office – i.e. use counters at your local PO – though i've not looked into that just yet

edit – 'free' has some restrictions – as ever, check the small print – seem to recall, for example, a limit on cash deposits / week

jd-boy
    Free Member

Im with Barclays, never been a problem, also agree with flanagaj, makes sense to be VAT registered, its got its advantages as he stated.

alexpalacefan

Co op. Ethical policies.

APF

fivelittlefish
    Free Member

I'm with Alliance and Leicester, soon to be Santander… good so far…

rickmeister

Thanks folks… will get on to it today…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New business as a sole trader, recommend me a business account…..’ is closed to new replies.