Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • "New build" electrical installation
  • Flaperon

Would you say this is a professional job? Nothing like the wiring diagram; slightly disturbing scorch mark on the cover etc. New build as well, six months old…

mk1fan
    Free Member

Is that for your central heating etc…?

trail_rat
    Free Member

wtf is your central heating …… does it also control the shuttle launch ?

i wired mine last week – 3 core power in on a fused switch – 3 core to the RF reciever and 5 core out to the boiler. looks nothing like that

molgrips
    Free Member

Not bought a new build before then..? 🙂

Flaperon

Yep, central heating. That’s the wiring for one thermostat and two motorised valves, and the link from the programmer. I have no idea why they’ve done it like this; especially when Glow Worm sell a purpose built wiring centre that uses a data connection so they could have saved on about 3 miles of twin + earth.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Given how cheap a proper ‘wiring centre’ box is for central heating systems I would suggest it’s un-profeesional not to use one.

Unfortunately the building industry seems to think a 180% mark up on all goods is more important.

If it doesn’t tally up with the wiring diagram I’d be asking why.

ETA: must have been posting at the same time!

molgrips
    Free Member

The standard of work on most new builds (except perhaps luxury ones) is shockingly bad ime.

andyl
    Free Member

Yikes! The mess is bad enough but if you have reason to believe something is getting hot (the scorch mark) then get it looked at ASAP.

Flaperon

The weird thing about the scorch mark is that it’s on the outside of the box, so closer inspection suggests that the plumber has just been a bit careless with his soldering.

Sonor
    Free Member

Too many Part P monkey’s running about.

donks
    Free Member

Just left a job as contracts manager for an electrical contractors and i would have to say that this is not a good job but i have seen many done in a similar fashion. Problem is that the lads are on a price and just wont to smash out the work so the heating system is done as a final (last visit on the house) and the sparks generally only gets about £60-70 to do all the heating connections plus test the house and any other bits that need to be finished. Our lads would do 2 or even three finals in one day to make their money up. As for buying the wiring centers etc these are all supplied by the plumbing firm and you just get what you are given. New builds as stated above can be very poor….one of the reasons I moved on.
    If its within the years defects…get the house builder to have the electrical contractor return and tidy it up.

andyl
    Free Member

You can see a bit of brown on the white wire in the foreground too where it must have been caught.

I would just re-do all that myself but I am happy to do that kind of thing.

krisberg
    Free Member

This is not a good job for a professional electrician, that’s why some get a bad reputation because some electricians works unprofessionally.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘"New build" electrical installation’ is closed to new replies.