• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by simmy.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New Brighton?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Alright for taking the kids for a bike ride on the prom or post apocalyptic shit hole?

camo16
    Free Member

Alright. Slight shit hole feel about it, but not like you’re probably imagining. Fort Perch Rock at the end is cool, the rock/candy store and amusement park opposite slightly less so.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“New” Brighton ?

Someone built another one ??

loddrik
    Free Member

Forget New Brighton itself. But there’s a nice ride to be had from Seacome Ferry right round to West Kirkby and then onto the Wirral Way. Just don’t go on a windy day.

New Brighton is not a dump by any means, it’s a pretty nice place from a living perspective but there’s not much there to hold the visitors interest these days.

camo16
    Free Member

Are you actually going to New Brighton, HtS? 🙂

Because if it’s just north Wirral you’re after, the West Kirby bit (either east along the coast or south past Thurstaston on the Wirral Way) is way nicer.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Nice view of Seaforth dock on a nice day but you will be passing near Delamere Forest on the way there.
    My offspring used to love Delamere.

camo16
    Free Member

That’s because Delamere rocks, cheeky boy 😀

New Brighton on the other hand…

Esme
    Free Member

We used to park on the Liverpool side (near entrance to Brunswick Dock), ride past the Albert Dock to Pierhead, and catch the ferry over to Seacombe. Then ride along the Prom to New Brighton. A very exciting adventure for little ones!!!

project
    Free Member

I live not far away and frequently cycle down that way, totally off road all the way from Gunsites to Seacombe ferry, and onto Woodside ferry terminal great for the kids, Morrisons in New Brighton for cheap food, also the usual fast food places, and free parking plenty of parking on sea front as well, great views of Liverpool crosby shore, and the industrial docks.Lots of interpretive plaques to read about all the sunken ships, and lives lost and a tram way at Woodside with old trams usually only at weekends, a cut away real German submarine at Woodside along with an Enigma machine.Then theres Spaceport at Seacombe and lots of sand , mersey ferries and lots of big ships.

kimbers

how old are the kids?

cant get our 2 (2&4 yr olds) away from the junk pirate ship on the beach, every time we visit the inlaws

twinklydave

Ride along the prom from there can be quite nice.

Back in the day it was a shit hole (and an excellent night out/fight/vomit/shag on the beach location) but I think it’s sorted itself out quite a bit in the many, many years since I used to do that sort of thing…

JoeG
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member

“New” Brighton ?

Someone built another one ??

Yes! In ‘Merica. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Brighton,_Pennsylvania

In 1815, a plan of lots was laid out by two English engineers, the Constable brothers. For their work, they were granted the privilege of naming this new town, which they called Brighton, after their old home in England.

😯

http://www.newbrightonpa.org/history.html

allfankledup

I used to be an open water lifeguard there in the late 80s. Not the most glamorous location to work on a beach, but the money was good…

Loads of investment there in recent years

cheshirecat
    Free Member

It’s improved a huge amount since the 80s and 90s. Lots of new investment and a few restaurants, coffee places, ice cream shops etc.

Completely traffic free all the way from Seacombe Ferry to the Floral Pavilion (theatre) with some nice architecture and great views of Liverpool. Bike path across the top of the Wirral as well as an extension.

So if you want a nice flat, safe space for younger kids, with access to ice cream, I’d say it’s worth it.

camo16
    Free Member

So if you want a nice flat, safe space for younger kids, with access to ice cream, I’d say it’s worth it.

If you’re there already, I agree. If you have to drive to it, I’d probably go somewhere else.

DrP

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=new+brighton&rlz=1Y3TXLS_enGB551GB551&oq=new+brighton&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j5j0j69i60.3442j0j4&sourceid=chrome-mobile&espvd=1&ie=UTF-8

Well I never! You learn something every day!

DrP

convert

Escaping from my mother’s parents with my dad to get out of the house and watch the ‘action’ at the boating lake is a strong memory from my childhood. Is it still there?

I’ve still got the leander class frigate he built for me somewhere – must dig it out.

Harry_the_Spider

Well… that was better than expected.

Huge amounts of big, wide, traffic free prom for the kids to ride up and down on, free parking, picnic in Vale Park and a visit to the quaintly weird Fort Perch Rock.

I’m guessing that we’ll be back.

simmy
    Free Member

Well on the back of this thread I had a ride over to New Brighton for a change from the usual Blackpool, Southport etc.

Blimey it’s changed for the better.

It was well busy as HtS said. Wayne Rooney and Coleen were there with the kids so it must have gone upmarket 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New Brighton?’ is closed to new replies.