Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New brakes time?
  • mattrgee
    Free Member

For a car that is.

I’ve been noticing a rubbing/ticking noise from the front drivers side wheel for the last few weeks, it’s been getting steadily louder but only happens after the brakes have been used for a period of time. i.e. keeping the car’s speed in check going down a steep hill etc or any prolonged period of braking that gets the brakes hot. After my foot is off the brake pedal, the noise continues for a short period of time and slowly decreases to nothing. I dont notice it during the week as my commute is very stop-start and the brakes barely get used/heated up.

Anyway, I took the wheel off had a look for anything a miss but couldn’t spot anything obvious to me. Wondered if the brake pads were looking a little thin?

And from the slot in the caliper:

The red line is where the pad (to the right) and the disc (to the left) meet:

If not the brakes, any ideas what else it could be?

Thanks.

mattbee

Bit of a lip on that disc.

JAG

OK….

The brake pads are fine. The Steel backplate is 5.5mm thick and the friction material in your picture is about the same – so you’ve go a few miles left yet. Most pad suppliers suggest changing at 3 mm friction material remaining.

The disc looks fine – very little scoring or grooves and the lip doesn’t look bad. You can allow about 1 mm of disc wear per side or 2 mm in total before the disc should be replaced.

As to the noise – no idea but if it comes and goes with heat I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s probably just something expanding and contracting just like your central heating creaking when it comes on and goes off 😀

munrobiker
    Free Member

I agree with JAG, no need to replace them.

matt_outandabout

I had a ticking that did my head in trying to find, from brakes.
    It turned out to be ‘anti spray’s plate behind the disc, rusted and moving around occasionally.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Thanks all, I might remove the caliper & pads and give everything a brush down at the weekend and see if there’s anything lose or not torqued properly. It’s very odd, the noise gets very loud after a minute or so of continuos braking, suspect something is coming lose like matt_outandabout suggested. Good to hear the pad thickness is ok.

matt_outandabout

Wheel bearing on way out?

joshvegas
    Free Member

[Quote]It turned out to be ‘anti spray’s plate behind the disc, rusted and moving around occasionally.[\quote]

Haynes: inspect brake backing plate.

*looks at rust ragged wafer attached to some rusty bolts… puts everything back on and ignores*

sbob
    Free Member

the noise gets very loud after a minute or so of continuous braking

Brake less.

andyl
    Free Member

Strip down, wire brush all the crap off and check the sliders are working properly as my guess is you might have one not as free as it should be.

Re-assemble nicely greased. Make sure you put the pads back in their original positions as they will be worn to the disc. No need to replace anything just yet but that depends on the inside pad as when the sliders stick it’s often the inside ones that wear out so people just checking the outside one through alloy wheel spokes don’t actually notice.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Strip down, wire brush all the crap off and check the sliders are working properly as my guess is you might have one not as free as it should be.

Re-assemble nicely greased. Make sure you put the pads back in their original positions as they will be worn to the disc. No need to replace anything just yet but that depends on the inside pad as when the sliders stick it’s often the inside ones that wear out so people just checking the outside one through alloy wheel spokes don’t actually notice.

Yes, will do.

bigyinn
    Free Member

You might have a sticky piston on the caliper that sticks when things get warm. Mine does this and I really need to get it sorted.
    As others have said, strip the pads out of the caliper and clean all contact surfaces, putting a bit of copper grease where necessary.
    Also check the slide pins, as these can get sticky.
    Finally check the actual pistons. What you can do is work them in and out a few times (by carefully pumping the brake pedal), perhaps drip a bit of DOT fluid behind the rubber seal to help lubricate the piston.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New brakes time?’ is closed to new replies.