Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • New brakes – not sure what to look for
  • prezet
    Free Member

Fancy some new brakes – currently running Juicy 5’s – not the best brakes in the world. Would like a bit more adjustment, so I can set bite points etc. Will be used on my BFe for hacking in the woods, Chicksands, some DH etc.

Any suggestions appreciated.

jam-bo

XT’s

jedi

hope v2

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Just gone from Hope X2s to the new XTs and the difference is amazing. Both had plenty of power and modulation, but the XTs require so little effort to get the same power.

Water
    Free Member

New XTss or XTRs if you’re feeling a bit bling.
    Both are amazing improvements on everything I’ve used previously (M4s, Elixers, Saints, Formulas).
    Also easy to fit, and seem so far to be pretty bomb proof!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

XT’s – check out the thread on Rose Bikes – £63 an end (caliper/lever only, no rotors or adaptors) and even less with Facebook code. Excellent brakes, bargain price.

hilton83
    Free Member

I fitted a set of formulas “the ones” to my remedy about 8 weeks ago, absolutely love ’em. look good, great control and modulation, huge stopping power, and one of the lightest set ups around

giantjason
    Free Member

I have been using magura Louises on both my bikes for several years now and had no issues so far.

nwill1
    Free Member

Did someone mention a Facebook code to get furtger discount on brakes att rose bikes? Tell me more?

honourablegeorge

Like Rose Bikes on Facebook, 10 quid off. Worked for me….

nwill1
    Free Member

Those xt’s look really nice but mybut my budgets limiting me to the SLX so how useful.do you find the bite adjust, from.what I’ve read seems to be the only difference?

prezet
    Free Member

SLX’s were going to be another option – as I’m already running SLX cranks, derailleur, cassette etc, and have been really impressed with the quality.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

i’ve heard rave reviews about SLX’s too, I’m a formula fan myself and Merlin have had some seriously good deals on The One’s which are awesome. I’ve got the ones and RX1’s but they don’t like superstar pads too well, sometimes the SS pads are a hint too thick.

prezet
    Free Member

From what I can tell, the brakes from Rose Bikes are on the wrong sides? They only offer a front left hand brake and a rear left hand? Or am I being stooopid?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What to look for?

The word ‘Magura’ or ‘Shimano’ printed on them.

Shimano: Maybe a bit easier to set up and bleed, and cheaper.

Magura: Wipe the floor with Shimano for power, and just as reliable.

rwc03
    Free Member

Prezet, they’re not difficult to swap over, took me about an hour to swap over and shorten. If you do it carefully there’s no need to bleed. Some one has done a guide on the psa xt thread, which I used.

lynchmob
    Free Member

iv got the deore brakes. initially when i put them on they weren’t the best. they come already bled. i put new mineral oil in which to be honest was a piece of cake & now there really good. really impressed for the price. obviously more money the better you get & i use to have the xt on my old bike & they are the best i have ever had but if money is an issue i would advise the deore

DezB
    Free Member

Yep – they’re easy to swap over – I did a pictorial on the Rose Bikes thread.
    Credit card bill came in £125 for a pair of XTs. Happy. 🙂

Or there’s these if Rose out of stock – SLX

_tom_
    Free Member

how useful.do you find the bite adjust, from.what I’ve read seems to be the only difference?

Have only used the SLX briefly but personally I found the bite point was a bit too far into the levers travel for my liking. As I run my levers really close to the bar this wasn’t ideal. So I think the bite point adjust would help quite a bit. Think I’ll probably get some XTs whenever I can afford new brakes. Sick of unreliable/dodgy feeling Avid and Formulas.

prezet
    Free Member

I’m like you _tom_, I like to run my levers close in, without having to squeeze back to the bars before they bite.

So, the XT’s – that might be the way to go. Visually though, the shiny shiny reservoir cap may blind me 😀

rewski
    Free Member

Forumla R1’s are light and very very powerful, not cheap though, I replaced a single bolt and got stung for £8.
    I’ve heard got things about the 2011/12 XT’s.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m like you _tom_, I like to run my levers close in, without having to squeeze back to the bars before they bite.

May be worth a try though if you can have a go on someones bike with them installed, as it looks like you’ll save quite a bit of money if you like them. They certainly have good stopping power and a nice smooth/easy feel – completely different to avids wooden feel 🙂

prezet
    Free Member

As a sideball – how about saints? CRC have them for £114 each. Obviously a lot more pricey than the XT’s.

mbydmt
    Free Member

If you can’t quite afford the XTs you could shift your juicy5 brakes on the forum for about £25-£35 an end..

mustard
    Free Member

Where do you get the Rose FB code? I liked their page but didn’t see/get anything – am I just being a spanner?

prezet
    Free Member

Well – it looks like Rose have sold out of the XT’s 🙁

xcstu
    Free Member

Big hope fan but on the race bike got the xtr and man they are good!!!

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I’ve got Juicy 5’s i’m looking to replace too…they’ll be for sale soon.

Looking at XT’s they seem to be getting good reviews and prices aren’t too bad from new. Means you get warranty too.

Merlin doing XT775 both ends with rotors and mounts for £150 and no faffing with levers etc.

prezet
    Free Member

Thinking of going for the SLX’s as Rose Bikes have them in stock for a bargain.

Not sure what adaptors I need to mount them on my BFe with Pikes. I’m guessing they won’t fit on my existing Avid adaptors?

honourablegeorge

Fitted mine with my existing Avid adapters, no problems

prezet
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the cooling fins come with the SLX’s as standard – or are they an additional extra?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

XT Servos here. I’d never go back.

The Minis on my SS are positively scary by comparison.

dingabell
    Free Member

Just bought the SLX brakes including hoses, rotors etc from Merlin for £144. Really happy with them.

prezet
    Free Member

Just picked up a pair of SLX’s from Rose for £120 🙂 – a real David Dickenson!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘New brakes – not sure what to look for’ is closed to new replies.