Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New brakes…?
  • philstone

So I’m looking to get some new brakes for my Mojo HD- gets used for Endure and trips to the Alps, had Guide RSC’s which faded massive this year in the Alps so had decided to go for Saints and to stop f^#king around.. But I can get M9020 brakes from Merlin at £15 cheaper…

I know XTR will never be as powerful as the Saints, but, how would they measure up to Guide RSC’s and M785s (which I had on before the Guides…)?

Help! Spend my money for me!

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

bigger rotors, finned pads will help with brake fade.

Bolt

Xt m8000 are on offer at ribble cycles £103 for the pair with this weekend’s code.

Bolt

SirHC

If you are cooking guides, then something is a bit wrong (and likely to cook other brakes as well). Are you dragging your brakes with small rotors?

philstone

Not really dragging was specifically during a week in the Alps, running 180 out back.

By contrast I didn’t fade the 785’s the previous year, just felt like I wanted more power/better modulation hence the swap to Guides.

I think that I’m going to go Saints, unless the XTR’s are middle ground between them and the 785s..

sharkattack

My girlfriend rode my Bfe in the Alps this year and she dragged the brakes down absolutely every trail in the place and amazingly my SLX brakes survived unscathed. No fade, no power loss, just three sets of pads in a month.

My Saints on the other hand are a complete pain in the unmentionables. I wish I’d never bought them. Mega power and true, effortless, one finger braking. They just have badly inconsistent lever feel with them always pulling to the bars and then pumping up. I’ve spent hours and hours fettling them with every trick in the book but a quick search shows that loads of other people suffer the same problem. They always feel horrible and it doesn’t inspire confidence especially given how fast a DH bike motors over terrain.

I hate to admit defeat but I think I’m going to try Hope next. Or Zee. Depends how skint I am in the new year.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New brakes…?’ is closed to new replies.