Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New brake time
  • cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

So, my Avid BB7’s are going to be retired and looking for a new hydraulic brake set for my Soul.

Thinking XT or SLX. Any advantage of XT?

Also where is the best place to get them these days? Best rotors as I see you have to buy them seperately!

Thanks

dannybgoode

SLX is functionally on a par with XT (make sure you get SLX m675. XT’s a bit lighter (and shinier – mustn’t forget shiny. Shiny good).

That said, I’ve just looked on CRC website – SLX M675 £84.99, XT M785 £64.99 for some colours and the same £84.99 for others. You choose!!

Rotors – RT67’s if you want centerlock. No need for Icetch rotors IMHO.

Cheers

Danny B

nwill1
    Free Member

Not sure if Rose still offer £10 off if you like them on Facebook but I got XT for £115 both ends!

It worked out £15 more, so shifted SLX and got XT, no difference really, performance is identical, XT couple grams lighter, Allen bolt instead of hair clip holding in the pads and bite point adjust (which I don’t use).

Extra tenner get XT extra £50 get SLX.

cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

I am after 6 bolt rotors. I notice there is a choice. Which are better?

As for the cheaper xt on chain reaction they didn’t seem to have stock when I checked. Iwas looking at merlincycles for the pair. Rose seemed to have the front brake as left lever and rear as right, euro style which would confuse me!

kitebikeski
    Free Member

It is a 10 min job to swap them over – bits come in the box. Unless you have a tandem the hoses will be WAY too long anyway and need cutting down.

empy
    Free Member

I ordered some Deore M596 today for my Soul today to replace some ailing Juicy 3s. £73 for both ends from CRC, taking advantage of the voucher you can find on another thread. Don’t have to Swap hoses either. I’ve got XTs on another bike – great brakes, but the Deores will be just fine.

andybanks
    Free Member

Do rotors and callipers need to be the same or can you mix and match?

empy
    Free Member

I’m keeping my Avid G3 rotors – not unusual to mix and match but obviously not recommended by the manufacturer…

andybanks
    Free Member

Thanks empy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New brake time’ is closed to new replies.