Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • new book needed and nothings jumping out.
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Generally prefer non fiction – adventure/doing stuff books.

last few have been ghost trails , dividing the great , be brave be strong and hell of a journey – to give an idea of what i like.

“Stories of my life” i generally avoid although ive read most of the great cyclists auto biogs.

any suggestions?

muttley109
    Free Member

Geraint Thomas’ book is a good read.

fasthaggis

nothings jumping out

How about this?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not sporty, but outdoorsy and very good –

Inglorious by Mark Avery
    A shepherds life by James Rebanks
    Poor had no lawyers by Andy Wightman

trail_rat
    Free Member

Poor had no lawyers by Andy Wightman

fooking great book.

hard reading in places but backed up with proper refereances and not just he said she said. Not one to jump in and out of though its a propper sit down for a couple hours book.

shall investigate the other 2.

MoreCashThanDash

nothings jumping out.

Kids pop up book?

Currently enjoying William Fotheringhams “Racing Hard”. Basically a compilation of his key articles covering the last 20 years of cycling, with little updates – Lance, BC, Sky etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

as a follow up(mostly because its for a good cause and maybe some of you will be interested in reading and supporting) i plumped for ….

“mostly happy returns”

Stories from braemar mountain rescue.

http://www.braemarmountainrescue.org.uk/book.html

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

“The Man Who Cycled The World” by Mark Beaumont is very good

trail_rat
    Free Member

“”The Man Who Cycled The World” by Mark Beaumont is very good”

Thats a matter for debate but Mark is a very good and motivational public speaker.

his subsequent books have been better. The journey was certainly an emotional rollercoaster for him – I didnt like the style it was written in though.

pondo

I read A Voyage For Madmen over the weekend, really enjoyed that. 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you want something a little more lighthearted, whilst stuck on a rig in some far flung hellhole, I can heartily recommend anything by Christopher (but not Chris Brookmyre, that’s his crime stuff) Brookmyre, David F. Ross or John Niven.

All Scottish writers, all funny as **** 😆

These 3 in particular…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

My stock answer is Jupiter’s Travels by Ted Simon. Brilliant account of going for it and a great snapshot of the world as it was not too long ago.

Also read In the heart of the sea recently and couldn’t put it down.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

In the heart of the sea +1.

Also read an awesome book about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis (ship that delivered the H bomb to the Enola Gay), canny quite remember the name though…

mrwhyte
    Free Member

+1 Shepherds life. Excellent read.

Pigs in Clover- Simon Dawson- very good read, about a couple who started up a smallholding in Devon.

pondo

Also read an awesome book about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis (ship that delivered the H bomb to the Enola Gay), canny quite remember the name though.

Was it In Harm’s Way?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Just finished Chris Boardman’s auto bio Triumphs and Turbulence. Written by him not a ghost writer and you can hear his voice. Really well written, honest, occasionally thought provoking and occasionally laugh out loud funny.

mckeeva
    Free Member

I’d go for The Revenant by Michael Punke. Excellent read, and better than the film. Gripping, real life (mostly!), adventure tale.

lunge

Have you read A Shepard’s Life by James Rebanks? It’s very good indeed, particularly if you have an interest in The Lake District.

CheesybeanZ

If you like a little humour Bill Bryson is worth a read .

Gary_M
    Free Member

I was having a look for books this morning for a holiday thats coming up soon so cheers for the David F. Ross suggestion nobeer, just ordered two of his books what with him being a killie boy and all.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

He’s excellent Gary, I’m reading the rise and fall of the miraculous vespas at present, The last days of disco is hilarious, but also quite poignant too.

As a lapsed ‘shireman, you need to read the Amateurs, even if you’re not into golf, unbelievably funny particularly if you ‘get’ the vernacular.

slackboy

I like Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger – the story of his travels through the empty quarter of Saudia Arabia in the late 40’s

mogrim

I enjoyed “Forensics”, a non-fiction book by (crime writer) Val McDermid:

Real-life CSI, as opposed to the fictional stuff.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m reading the rise and fall of the miraculous vespas at present, The last days of disco is hilarious

That’s the two I ordered, swithered between the amateurs and miraculous vespas but the latter sounded a better read,

kcal

Do have a look at Andy Kirkpatrick’s stuff if you haven’t already, too.

I also went to see him a few years back, a more droll and unassuming (and funny) speaker would be hard to find in recent experience..

phatstanley
    Free Member

if you’re a fan of the cairngorms and haven’t read “the living mountain” by nan shepherd, it’s awesome…

jimdubleyou

I quite liked this one and have been recommending it to fans of warry non-fiction.

The film of this was good & I’ve been meaning to read the book.

trail_rat
    Free Member

good one phatstanley – id meant to get that after a recomendation on the thread for the tv series by the same name.

forgot all about it.

phatstanley
    Free Member

it is truly sublime, imho…really beautiful.

gavmac
    Free Member

These threads are fatal, I’ve just ordered 6 books on amazon!

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

That near death thing £3 on eBay

mattsccm
    Free Member

A short walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby.
    Actually any of his stuff is good.

redthunder
    Free Member

Cap of Honour.

By David Scott Daniell.

The story of the Gloucestershire Regiment.

Good read.

My Great Grand Father was is the 1st Glosters and was killed in action on Hill 30, 1915, aged 38. 🙁

DickBarton

The Cuckoo’s Nest by Clifford Stoll

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cuckoos egg surely ?

metalheart
    Free Member

TR: I can lend you Jupiters Travels if you fancy.

I also have a fair few climber/mountaineer books of you’re that way inclined…

irc

Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery by Henry Marsh. Stories from a neurosurgeon. Suprisingly interesting and readable.

Breaking Loose by Dave Cook. Communist party politics, rock climbing and cycling. Dave Cook breaks loose and cycles from the UK to Australia in 1989. Meeting a few rock climbers and others along the way.

chickenman

The fall of Yugoslavia; Micha Glennie. That will cheer you up!

Fiction but I really loved The Goldfinch; Donna Tartt.

rascal
    Free Member

‘Into Thin Air’ by Jihn Krakuer – his account of Everest disaster in 1997.
    I couldn’t put it down.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘new book needed and nothings jumping out.’ is closed to new replies.