Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New Biking backpack.. Which one?
  • gaberin
    Free Member

Currently have a camelback blowfish, which is great for getting to the trails but i find it moves around a lot when going downhill, doing jumps etc. which i thought would be for all bags but my mates say there’s don’t.
    It will need to be big enough for all day riding and trips to wales etc.
    I’m tall and skinny if that changes anything.
    Looking at the evoc bags, but they seem quite expensive and i’ve just missed out on the crc private sale 😡
    Are they worth it? which one would suit my needs? what else would you recommend?

Thanks
    Gabe

matther01
    Free Member

I use a camelbak charge lr which is great for up to 3 hour trips for me and doesn’t move at all. Think they’re £50 now.

Think they do a new one with 3 litre bladder too but about £75

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I use a Camelback Octane LR. It can fit in food and drink for a day trip at a push. Carrying the water around the waist seems to stabilise it better than normal backpacks that have the cylindrical-ish bladders.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Camelback charge 10 LR here.

Room for stuff.

Made up with it. No movement, low down water reservoir, very comfy.

tomaso
    Free Member

The Evoc Enduro ones don’t move about much at all and come with a back protector.

mmannerr

Ergon BX3. It is not too big to bother on shorter rides and the load is held very stable. It is also the first pack which puts the hip belt on my hips – the height adjustment system is very good.

cmjdavies
    Free Member

The mrs and I use bags from the Dakine range, they’re really good. I can;t remember mine but hers is the Drifter. The water reservoir that comes with it is great with a slide clip at the top and a quick release for the hose. Highly recommend

gaberin
    Free Member

I like the look of the evoc trail unlimited, anyone got experience with an evoc? Whats the back protector like and they seem to be quite heavy is this noticeable? Can the back protector be removed?

alpin
    Free Member

Evoc good. really like mine. nice, tight fit and doesn’t move about.

only downside is that it is warm on your. not much (i.e. nothing) in the way of ventilation. as it is i’m a sweaty monkey on the bike and end up with a sweaty back regardless of what bag i’m using.

[/url] DSCN2529 by sod_the_taxman, on Flickr[/img]

gaberin
    Free Member

Do you find it heavy compared to a normal bag?

andeh

Another vote for Dakine, I’ve got a session and a nomad and love them both, mainly for their toughness.

alpin
    Free Member

gaberin – Member

Do you find it heavy compared to a normal bag?

guessing you are addressing that to me….

no, not noticably any heavier than any other bag i have used. the back protector element weighs naff all and i have never bothered to take it out. it also helps prevent bulky items jabbing you in the back.

other “protector” packs are heavier, the Deuter one for example weighs a ton.

gaberin
    Free Member

alpin what size is yours 20 or 16 litres?

alpin
    Free Member

20ltr

rosscopeco
    Free Member

+1 for the Ergon BX3. I bought one 3 months ago after 5 years with a camelbak HAWG. The Ergon is so much better…especially with the adjustable back/ fit system.

allyharp

Not bike specific, and probably not up to the standards of most people on here, but I love my Alpkit Gourdon for biking. Small size, very lightweight and to clean it off after a muddy ride – you can just take it straight into the shower with you, knowing that everything inside is safe and watertight.

It also works great as a ‘bag-in-a-bag’ – that is when I’m off on a multi-day ride with a decent sized rucksack, but know I’ll be stopping in the same place for a more than 1 night. This rolls up really small so can easily be carried just for a 1-day trip from another base.

gaberin
    Free Member

Thanks alpin i think i’ll go for what you’ve got, what size did you get?
    I’m 6 foot but skinny, what would you recommend

Thanks

zelak999
    Free Member

I’ve got a camelbak mule nv and an evoc 16l and have to say that mule seems better built.
    It also sticks to your back a lot less.

Mackem

I like my Osprey Viper a lot. I had an Evoc 16c thing previously, although rock solid on the back it was just too much strapping and a huge waistbelt, which I hate. The osprey is more low-profile, I dont have to use the narrow waist-band, but it’s available if I need more stability.

greengrassmtb
    Free Member

am selling one of these!

http://www.evocsports.com/de/bike/protector-backpacks/fr-lite.html

Brand new un-wanted xmas gift! £60.00

gaberin
    Free Member

So i make a decision, then everyone tries to persuade me off it… 😈

alpin
    Free Member

@ gaberin, the larger of the two sizes. l/xl or something silly. the s/m was a tick too small. i’m only 5’7″. the s/m was fine on the GF; she’s 5’6″.

gaberin
    Free Member

@alpin one last thing, is it useable on shorter 3 hour rides? or is it too bulky.

singletracksurfer

I use wingnut ones which are so comfy as the weight is low down on your hips, less back is covered (so less sweaty) and as it is lower down it doesn’t move around and bash you in the back of the head on steep descents. Pockets on the side mean you don’t have to take it off to get things either.

lilesy
    Free Member

osprey 14l best pack ive ever owned

SimonR

Another vote for Osprey bags – majority of the time I use a Raptor 14 litre but just got a Manta 25 for Big Days Out.

pedalgogue
    Free Member

Evoc FR20 here. Fantastic bag, suprememly comfy when riding, doesn’t move about at all, doesn’t change shape/fit with changes in load/water, will swallow an entire days worth of stuff comfortably, has teutonic style organisation in the compartments and is built to last. It is a bit heavier than most but as the extra bits are the bits that make it worth using I’m not too upset by a few grams, especially after you have filled it with tools, 3L water, food, etc.

I now can’t use my old camelbacs as they just feel aweful. I like osprey climbing packs and they have a good build quality but the cycling ones moved about too much for my liking and still had the “scuba tank” feeling on my back when full of water.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New Biking backpack.. Which one?’ is closed to new replies.