Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New bike – vintage roadie content
  • rossrobot
    Free Member

After a month of trawling ebay for a decent retro roadie, spotted this Raleigh Olympus in a friends kitchen who was about to take it to the tip. Have fitted new inner tubes, bar tape, seatpost and a Brooks saddle, but other than that it's all original, and has cost about £90 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Saddle looks at an odd position but nice other then that.

What is it? 1×5? Does the chain stay on?

rossrobot
    Free Member

Yep, it's a 1×5. Super smooth, and haven't had any issues with the chain so far.
    ps. have adjusted the saddle since this pic was taken. Wasn't at all comfortable.

cynic-al
    Free Member

steel rims? good luck in the wet!

rossrobot
    Free Member

cynic-al – why do you say that? I'm completely new to road cycling so any hints/tips/advice appreciated.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Nice, I like old racers.

My wife just got hold of her late dads 1987 Raleigh Triathlon. It hadn't moved in over 15 years but all it needed was air in the tyres and off it went. I've sent it off to be powder coated and she'll use it to cycle to work.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Just make sure your brake blocks have a strap of leather and you'll be fine. Otherwise they'll be "interesting".

cynic-al
    Free Member

even with the leather they will be lethal IME, just a problem with steel rims.

oldgit
    Free Member

It looks like it's fitted with the right type of shoes for the rims, and some of those rims had 'file pattern' sidewalls.If you need pads I think Fibrax still do the right sort.
    Fit mudguards it'll look better with the gaps filled and they'll keep winter at bay.
    And five speed is so sweet, if I don't end up riding a freewheel I'll be on five this winter.
    I'm also looking out for some cleats that fix to modern LOOK/SPD type shoes that enable the use of clips and straps – sure you can get em?

I'll be riding this old Claud Butler this winter, just need some wheels. I've got the rest and the frame is going off to get powder coated any day now.

vdubber67
    Free Member

oooh…I wouldn't powdercoat that CB. Looks awesome as it is. I love patina 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Sadly the paints right off on parts of the stays and all along the top tube. Otherwise I'd have waxed it and ridden it.
    Got original decals for it, but it will be Ink Blue.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

I've got a friend who's just taken over a bike shop. When digging through the stock he found among other things, boxed 5 speed free cassettes and campag chrome toe straps.

Just in case any retro racer fans out there need spares.

oldgit
    Free Member

That's handy to know, especially if the freewheels are close ratio.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I don't want to sound too critical, but the tyres on that look dangerous- the front's got chunks missing from the tread and looks like the sidewalls are perished to oblivion. I'd seriously recommend swapping them, and for once on this site it could be a life or death matter!

Andy

Man when I was young I lusted after a Raleigh Olympus!

brakes
    Free Member

£90? you were done
    and the forks are bent

thepurist

I've just ordered some Kool Stop Continental pads for my 80s vintage racer – I hear they're better in the wet than the square Fibrax X-cut jobbies (which isn't hard in my experience!)

rOcKeTdOg

looks great, bet those forks a super comfy too, down tube shifters are great,"file pattern" steel rims mean braking has to be planned well in advance, but your handling skills will improve because of them!

rossrobot
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone – sounds like I need to be a bit more careful on the steel rims.
    Thanks for the Kool Stop tip purist – will check them out.

ps. bakes – bah humbug

oldgit
    Free Member

Is this really really nice or am I getting way old? Whatever I've asked the coaters to put the dark blue on hold.

1950 Brookes.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You're getting way old.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I love that Brookes, but the bar tape kills it. Should at least match saddle or paintwork somehow. Mudguards nice tho.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New bike – vintage roadie content’ is closed to new replies.