Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New bike – tubed or tubeless?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Awaiting approval for a new bike. Have the option of tubeless wheels for £20 more. Just wondering if this is worth it? I don’t suffer a lot of punctures as things are, and usually have about 40 psi in my tyres, plus I haven’t used tubeless before so don’t know what I’m doing with them!

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Get tubeless, and if you don’t want to run them tubeless, just put a tube in?
    Better than going non-tubeless and having the fan of running them ‘ghetto’ tubeless in the future?
    That would be my logic anyway.

drofluf
    Free Member

Went tubeless a few years ago and never looked back

lowey

Aye, tubeless. Not had a puncture since I changed.

Northwind

Unless there’s some downside to the tubeless wheels (ie less appropriate for the job) I’d go with that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not looked back in over a year.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Get tubeless, and if you don’t want to run them tubeless, just put a tube in?

Never thought of that! I was wondering what you do if you burst it while you’re out, but I guess that’s the answer.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I went tubeless on my last bike just because I could. I’ll confess I don’t think it’s as amazing as a lot of people say but for £20 extra it’s good to have the choice.

matther01
    Free Member

ALWAYS tubeless…never suffered a puncture in over 3 years and that’s with lots of Welsh rocky mountain riding too.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hmmm, mixed opinions then…

traildog
    Free Member

Tubeless. I would hate to use tubes now. 40psi? Yes, I used to run those stupid high pressures with tubes as well in order to stop the things pinching.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tubeless all the way.

Very rarely punctured in the last 5 years, and only ever when the sealents dried up over about 6 months. Remember to top it up and they’re almost invincible. It’s occasionaly a faff, but usualy only specific combinations of tyres/rims that don’t work together.

Stans rim – just about anything will work tubeless.
    2bliss/TLR/TNT/tubeless tyres – work on just about any rim given enough rim tape.
    Normal tyre on normal rim – 50/50 whether it inflates or not, some rims and tyres work better than others.

ska-49
    Free Member

I’ve run tubeless and tubed for years.
    I haven’t had a puncture with either system for a couple years now.
    It’s easier to change tyres with tubes though and you don’t have to refresh the gunk.

garage-dweller

I would go for the tubeless option.

If you are a serial tyre changer tubeless is more faff. However for more puncture resistance at lower pressures its the winner. I run tubes on some of my wheels but only because I haven’t yet got my head round a robust ghetto setup or in one case I have fire xc tyres on and their beads are too slack and side walls too thin

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s a no brainer for £20

d45yth
    Free Member

Tubeless! I’m sick of riding with folk with tubes…especially the ones who say they don’t get punctures, but manage at least one on every ride!

Saccades
    Free Member

For me tubeless isn’t about punctures or lack of them, it’s about grip – there is so much more grip.

I never really punctured and rode with high pressure and resisted tubeless for ages, made the swop when I stuck a IGH on the hardtail and now have it all both my mtbs.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I would rather ride a rigid singlespeed hardtail than be forced to ride with tubes!
    On the rare occasion that I’ve ripped a tyre open beyong the healing abilities of Stans fluid, so been forced to put a tube in, I’ve usually pinchflatted that too within the first mile.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New bike – tubed or tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.