Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New bike time..! Ibis..? Check! Carbon..? Check! 26er..? Check! Not Enduuro? Yep
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Finally took my new (2011?) Ibis Mojo SL out for its first ever spin yesterday, in the Surrey Hills on the most glorious Sunday afternoon eva. It’s taken me over 6 months to build, having bought the frame just before Christmas, on a whim – as a bit of an Xmas present to myself.

Since then, I’ve been gradually picking up the odd s/h bit here and there for it each month or so, waiting for that high day of summer when I might eventually get to ride it. Thanks to all the forumites whom I’ve been able to source bits from – you might spot your shiney things here if you look closely!

All in, I think the build came to just north of £1K – which to my mind is great value – for what I’ve found to be on its first ride an amazingly supple and responsive bike. VPP rules, I think.

It feels as nimble, light and responsive as a 26er XC full suss, but has a full 140mm of drop-eating travel easily available when you need it. It really is quite a remarkable machine. I’m actually quite smitten 8)

Think I may have hit a bit of a ‘sweet spot’ – for me – with this one..

As for the dropper post – it’s my first time ever using one – I really can’t actually see the point to be honest. In a 4 hour ride I think I used it about twice and ‘forgot’ to use it about… like… every time I went downhill. Perhaps it’ll grow on me?

Anyway take the piss, enjoy, whatevs (Fo’ sho’) 😉

Pitch Hill

Leith Hill Tower-thing

Obligatory drive shot (yes, the moss needs looking at)

steve_b77
    Free Member

My mate has one of those in a similar spec (bar forks & wheels) thats sat in his garage having not been ridden for about 2 years!!

fathomer

VPP might rule but the Ibis is a DW Link isn’t it?

Great bikes by the way, really enjoyed the couple I’ve ridden.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Isn’t it, essentially, VPP though? That’s what I’d assumed anyhoos.

Seems to work a treat. That Dave Fleagle appears to know his onions.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You can’t see the point of a dropper because you have no experience of using one. It will come and you will be glad unless you use this as a fancy off-road tourer.

It is a VPP design in descriptive terms, but is not VPP by design of patent.

What did you ride before? You seem to have been living under a rock for the last 5 years.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

The question is.. what DO I ride now..? 😉

Yeti ASR5-C (2012), Ibis Tranny (2012), Giant Trance Advanced (2008), Orange 5 (2008), Giant Anthem (2007), Commencal Supernormal (2010), Klein Attitude (2001), Giant MCM Team (1997)… erm… I think that’s it… oh and a Kona Jake the Snake (2009).

I seem to have stopped buying bikes after 2012.

Just not all that fussed about more modern bikes really. I demoed a SC 5010 and Bronson a while back at Afan and was… kinda un-wowed by them to be honest. 650b seems like a waste of time (for me) – and having demoed a load of 29ers too, I realise that 29er isn’t for me, either.

And since my salary has flatlined since 2011, combined with now renting, while paying a mortgage on a empty property that I’m not living in, I can’t really afford anything new anyways.

So.. this is the best ‘new’ bike I can manage for now.. 😆

rOcKeTdOg

Dropper will come into its own when you ride steep technical trails, not surprised you didn’t need it in the Surrey hills, nice though the trails there are

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Yeah.. I did use it on the (very few) steepish tech sections in the Hills, but that was it. I was under the vague impression that droppers were for all types of downhill stuff, but on fast-flowy downhills dropping the post just seemed to slow me down.

Perhaps it’ll come into its own when I take the bike somewhere more proper.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’ll come into it’s own once you get to use it. Yes, it’s great for steeper stuff, but it’s also ace getting your saddle out of the way, even just an inch or so, when out of the saddle pedally-attacking a roller coaster type of trail.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Fast flowy downhills are where I use my dropper most. And steeps. And tarmac corners. Even techy climbs. And getting off. And stopping for a rest…

A bit like your first ride on clips, you need you need to practice. Go for a ride and make yourself drop it every time you stand up. Use it lots, practice. Then make your riding style take advantage of the greater movement it gives you. Keep plugging away and it’ll become second nature. Or maybe your riding doesn’t need one. But I bet it does.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I actually DON’T want to like the dropper too much though.. 😆

Then I’ll have to get one each for the Yeti, (other) Ibis, Giant Trance and Orange 5 – at the very least. Which will get phenomenally expensive.. 😯

Will try harder at getting used to it though.. 😉

MSP

ibis mojo is definitely in the in enduro section of the pie chart btw.

sirromj

The dropper will come into it’s own when you stop and lower the saddle so you can sit on your bike comfortably with feet flat on the floor.

Bike manouverability is of course a plus point.

molgrips
    Free Member

As above, drop the saddle and get low on the bike for twisty single track bits. I only like to drop it an inch or two for that though, otherwise you can’t sit down easily.

julzm
    Free Member

Sorry to be a pedant but it’s not like VPP. I have both an ibis mojo HD3 and also a SC Bronson. The Dw link on the mojo is much better IMHO and also that of other SC riders that I know, who have grudgingly admitted it.

Dunno why there aren’t more ibis seen out and about, fantastic bikes and absolutely gorgeous too.

Enjoy the bike OP, it’s stunning.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Cheers dude..!

The DW Link on my Mojo has got this magic suppleness to it, almost feels as if the bike surges forward the suspension moves and it goes over bumps. Weirdly.

Like I suggested earlier – I was somewhat non-wowed by the VPP SC’s I demoed, so maybe that’s why..

robhughes
    Free Member

Ooooo.I can see my shinny easton bars. 😉
    Plus do you want to sell me your Trance advanced frame.. 😀

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

^ Well spotted! They go well with the wheels and other bits.. 8) Cheers! 😀

Not sure I’ll ever be parted with the Trance 😉 It’s kinda good for similar reasons the Mojo appears to be. Supple and efficient – just the Mojo seems to have even more of both!

robhughes
    Free Member

Good arn’t they.I,ve got pimped up to death 2008 x1 and been after an advance for what seems like ever.
    Missed one and anther that had been raced so still hunting.hint,hint stwer’s . 😉

puddings
    Free Member

Love mine having purchased it when 26″ was declared dead and the prices dropped to clearance – the bike is far more capable than I am but I love the way it rides and flatters my lack of talent!
    One tip for you to keep it looking good – get some heli tape onto the points where the cables and pipes curve over the carbon at head and seat tubes because on the matt black version you will get wear points (the orange and blue painted versions appear less susceptible).

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Get those bloody awful wheels of it, poor thing. Gorgeous bikes. Would love a HD….mmmmmm (wanders off into fantasy bike world)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New bike time..! Ibis..? Check! Carbon..? Check! 26er..? Check! Not Enduuro? Yep’ is closed to new replies.