Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New Bike Time!
  • ignatiusjreilly
    Free Member

Evening all…never been on a bike forum before but after having my leg and Scott Genius mauled by a VW I’m after a new bike.

I purchased the genius at the start of 2009, and having looked through the mags it seems there’s lots of new brands/designs that are probably good but that I’ve never heard of eg Mondraker.

So, with a budget of 2500 what sort of thing should I be looking at? I ride mainly in the Peaks and Lakes, occasionally do Trail Centres in Scotland and Wales. Alps will be out of the question for at least a year due to withered leg and cash flow issues. Oh, I like to ride up the hill as well as down but already have a hardtail so looking for a full susser.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Many thanks
    Ignatius

schmiken

Another Genius?

ignatiusjreilly
    Free Member

Thanks schmiken. I’ve considered another Genius but I’d already had to replace the whole rear end after a crash in the Peaks that should never have caused the damage that it did. I also rode a Tomac Snyper prior to getting mown down and that made me think there are better rear end designs than the Genius pull shock. …

ChrisL

There really are so, so many bikes that are decent or better that can do what you need that it’d be foolish to try and list them. Personally I had an Orange 5 for a few years and a couple of years ago I replaced it with an Ibis Mojo. Both great bikes, different handling and suspension feels.

It sounds like you want something different suspension-wise to your Genius but unless you can describe what you want in terms of suspension feel and handling with uncanny clarity then your best bet is to try and demo some bikes. Not only will that give you an idea as to which ones you like it’ll also give you an idea about what bike shops are going to treat you well.

ignatiusjreilly
    Free Member

That’s great advice thanks ChrisL. I’ll try out all the brands I’m not familiar with, as well as the likes of Specialized and Orange. The guys in my local shop seem like a nice bunch so I’d quite like to give them some business.

The Genius was great, handled everything I could throw at and was a better bike than I am a rider, but at the same time I was always worried about that back end after bending it.

The amount of choice is overwhelming. Marvellous.

ChrisL

To avoid being overwhelmed by choice, be 6’4″. You’ll quickly discover that very few LBSes or distributors are willing to provide demo bikes that’ll fit you so the number of available bike options becomes a lot smaller and so it’s easier to make a decision…

steezysix
    Free Member

In terms of value for money, look at Canyon and YT bikes – both German direct buy companies, so you’ll struggle to test ride one, but you’ll get much higher spec than the equivalent “high street” brands. I’ve got the YT Wicked and it’s ace – worked out about £1450 delivered to the UK.

Wicked 150

rewski
    Free Member

You might be able to get a good deal on a 2011 Lapierre Zesty, awesome bike, I’ve a 2010 514, loves hills up and down, lively and well spec’d components.

ignatiusjreilly
    Free Member

Hmmmmm, I right fancy a Zesty, reckon it looks perfect for The Peaks or Lakes.
    🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

Have a read of Benji’s long term review of the Pivot Mach 4. Theres a 5.7 and they maybe just outside of your budget but they make a very tempting proposition…

ignatiusjreilly
    Free Member

Aaaarrgh, very tempting! I was going to be VERY strict with the budget but I sense some sort of deep internal conflict between heart and wallet coming on…

trailflow
    Free Member

I’ve got a large 2011 zesty 314 for sale. Original spec only a few rides old. Email address in profile if you’re interested.

ignatiusjreilly
    Free Member

Thanks trail flow, if I wasn’t a short arse I’d def be interested 🙁

slackalice
    Free Member

You know it….!!!! 😆

Enjoy the journey!

stratman
    Free Member

Could try an Anthem – I ride Peaks and Lakes and I find it great up and down

Trekster

steezysix – Member
    In terms of value for money, look at Canyon and YT bikes – both German direct buy companies, so you’ll struggle to test ride one, but you’ll get much higher spec than the equivalent “high street” brands. I’ve got the YT Wicked and it’s ace – worked out about £1450 delivered to the UK.

Wicked 150

Liking the look of that YT steezysix 😆 How do they size up, ie for a 6 footer?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New Bike Time!’ is closed to new replies.