Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • New bike time !! Whyte 529
  • renton
    Free Member

Just collected my new bike from mboy and I have to say I’m very impressed already.

Only took it round the block but the fit seems spot on for once :mrgreen:

I went for the 529 instead of the 629 purely for the colour as I think the 629 looks a bit bland.

I’ve started upgrading already… Got some hope wheels coming and have a SRAM NX 1×11 setup to go on it.

Going to give the forks time to bed in but so far they seem spot on.

It’s low and slack though !!

Big shout out to Mark(mboy) for dropping it off to me. Been really helpful and has a decent shop too.

matt_outandabout

Dibs when you sell it next month. 😉

wiggles
    Free Member

my new bike from mboy

fit seems spot on for once

He must be very very good

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wrong size.

😉

devash
    Free Member

Really nice bikes. I’d buy one if they sold them frame only.

renton
    Free Member

Devash that’s pretty much what I bought this for.

I bought it on the back of the single-track review which really rated it.

prawny

Nice them, although I think White have taken the steepness that they’ve removed from their bikes and put it on the price – £900! It’s not much more for a 901

renton
    Free Member

901 is £400 more.

I already have a NX drivetrain set up and am planning on a revelation on it in the future.

legend
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Wrong size.

Gonna make a cracking second hand buy for someone though!

renton
    Free Member

😯 😥

prawny

I stand corrected I thought the 901 was £1200 still.

It’s a very nice looking bike though, and the geo looks bang on.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

6 weeks til it doesn’t fit.

renton
    Free Member

Yeah nice one

coomber
    Free Member

Bike looks nice and appreciate your enthusiasm. I’d be really tempted to have a go on one of these.

I remember similar threads when you bought your others so i’d have delayed showing it off for a month or two to see if you still like it to be honest!

Personal choice and all butmy first upgrade would have been tyres and the tektro brakes over going 1 x 11. That or a dropper.

Northwind

What size is it? ChrisL’s looking for an XL

Looks bloody nice tbh, their base specs are a bit odd and it’s kind of a shame there’s not a higher end model or a frame-only but the numbers look fantastic…

z1ppy

.. pretty sure mboy sold an XL to a 6’7″ customer who’d never gotten a properly fitting XL, and he was apparently well impressed with the sizing

The higher spec 729 didn’t sell well, so it got dropped (2 years ago?)
    I do like the geo, but prefer last years to this years, as it’s a tad too long and slack for my useage
    .. that said, assuming this a large, give me email when you feel like a change Renton 😀

Whyte refuse to do frame only as they want to be a big boy manufacturer rather than a small scale F/O outfit.. loads of ppl rail at it, and I reckon they’d sell really well. Though it would probably affect the sale of the full bikes

Northwind

Yeah, I can see that witht he frame-only but at the same time, it seems like a really good frame, which they’ve had to put fairly low end parts on to make what’s still not a cheap/good value full build.

You might be happy dropping as much as £450 on the frame but not £900 or £1150 on a build that frankly belongs on a £600 halfords bike, and then replacing tons of it. Just doesn’t seem like they’ve really hit a sweet spot at all, bit of a shame with such potential.

I kind of want one, can you tell? 😆

z1ppy

m8 your preaching to the converted, I have the original 929 from 2012, but eventually decided it’s bit small reach wise, so been desperately looking for a reasonably price *29 ever a good while (and settled on the 2016 version being the goldilock version for me). Loads of chancers on ebay.. and occasionally bargain if your quick

renton
    Free Member

coomber… I already have the 1 x 11 so havent bought it.

The spec is an odd one to be fair, I bought it with the intention of upgrading the spec and preffered the colour of the 529 over the 629.

Ive already got a set of hope tubeless wheels on the way so thats a start.

might look at a slightly wider and higher rise bar next as the standard one is flat and only 720 which is to narrow for my shoulders.

Its a really nice look frame to be honest !!

I went down to mboys shop and sat on a medium and could tell it was to small to be honest.

cheers

Steve

v666ern
    Free Member

Big shout out to Mark(mboy) for dropping it off to me. Been really helpful and has a decent shop too.

Oh christ does that mean your now based in the south mids / west?!?! too close to me b*gger off back up north!

renton
    Free Member

Not sure if you are being serious or not ???? ❓ 😯

cokie

Love these bikes and the colour’s perfect too.
    I was so so close to buying one but didn’t like the spec.
    When will Whyte offer frame only 🙁

This! He’s always been great to deal with. He’s incredibly knowledgeable too.

legend
    Free Member

I really want mboys version of events 🙂

renton
    Free Member

Im sure he will be along soon if you are that keen !!

ChrisL

I would be very happy if this was available frame only. Or if there was still a 729 or 829. As it is I’m looking at the 629 as I’ll want to replace fewer bits on that than I would with a 529. But the 529 is definitely a nicer colour!

variflex
    Free Member

chrisL – I have a medium 829 frame kicking about and not being used if interested?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

But you did pay for the 1 x11 set up though didn’t you?

Oh I forgot you probably made that much surplus profit when you took the p155 out of my good nature when I cut you a deal on your last purchase. Which, I would wager you never actually rode before putting for sale at a 30% mark up…..nice work fella!

ChrisL

variflex – Member
    chrisL – I have a medium 829 frame kicking about and not being used if interested?

Unfortunately I’m in need of an XL frame and also it’s the geometry of the 2017 models that’s caught my eye. I don’t think it’s the same on older *29s.

renton
    Free Member

Chris L … its a long bike mate.

Very slack at the front too, you can feel the front end wants to flop about at low speed, something I need to get used too.

renton
    Free Member

pops ygpm

mboy
    Free Member

He must be very very good

Nah, I just gave him the choice… 😉

Personal choice and all butmy first upgrade would have been tyres and the tektro brakes over going 1 x 11. That or a dropper.

The standard Maxxis tyres seem to go up tubeless OK in my experience as long as you use a decent amount of sealant, and they’re dependable treads. The Tektro brakes are surprisingly good to be fair! Maybe for a larger person, go to a 203 up front and a 180 out back, but they’re effective stoppers.

With you on the dropper mind…

.. pretty sure mboy sold an XL to a 6’7″ customer who’d never gotten a properly fitting XL, and he was apparently well impressed with the sizing

Yup and yup… Though to be fair, we’re now getting used to longer reaches and shorter stems, had they done an XXL I’m sure it would have fitted said customer even better, but it was by far the longest bike he’d swung a leg over previously anyway and he still enjoys riding it.

Yeah, I can see that witht he frame-only but at the same time, it seems like a really good frame, which they’ve had to put fairly low end parts on to make what’s still not a cheap/good value full build.

You might be happy dropping as much as £450 on the frame but not £900 or £1150 on a build that frankly belongs on a £600 halfords bike, and then replacing tons of it. Just doesn’t seem like they’ve really hit a sweet spot at all, bit of a shame with such potential.

I kind of want one, can you tell?

I think you’re being a touch unfair on the build, but it is all lower spec compared to the quality of the frame I’ll grant you. It’s workmanlike kit that you would replace over time (or upgrade immediately if you had the budget) yes, but it all works ok. The frame is indeed the star of the show.

629 is a cracking spec though… Shame it’s a bit of a boring colour!

This! He’s always been great to deal with. He’s incredibly knowledgeable too.

Cheers Dude! 😀

I really want mboys version of events

Renton popped into the shop, asked to have a look at the 529/629. We got chatting, he announced who he was, we chatted a bit more, he asked when I could get one in in a Large and could I possibly deliver or meet him half way with it sometime soon (his parents live near my shop, he’s about 80 miles away now). Luck would have it they were in stock at distributor, I was going near to where he lives (yesterday had to go past Oxford anyway) so we did the deal… 🙂

Enjoy it Renton! Pop a pic up when you’ve got your new bits on… Like I said, still reckon you want to shorten the stem a little too, especially if you’re going wider on the bars.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers mboy !!

I’m glad you’ve just said about the standard tyres going up ok as tubeless as you were about to get an email as much.

Edit: thanks again for taking time to drop it bud.

woodster

Whyte are great with their spec choices on their other stuff, but these seem to be specced to appeal to roadies, but with great geometry.

I’d buy a frame.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oh I forgot you probably made that much surplus profit when you took the p155 out of my good nature when I cut you a deal on your last purchase. Which, I would wager you never actually rode before putting for sale at a 30% mark up…..nice work fella!

Ooohhhhhh……

mboy
    Free Member

I’m glad you’ve just said about the standard tyres going up ok as tubeless as you were about to get an email as much.

On Stans or other similarly tight “tubeless ready” rims they usually do, you need a fair bit of sealant too. Can’t 100% guarantee it, but I’ve had a good success rate with non tubeless Maxxis in the past.

thanks again for taking time to drop it bud.

No worries. Eventually got home at 10:15 last night after plenty of traffic en route to Brizzle, then pissing it down all the way home… Near enough 300 miles yesterday all told, glad I don’t make a habit of that any more!

ChrisL

mboy – I don’t suppose you know whether the forks on the 629 are 46 or 51mm offset? I emailed Whyte but whoever it is there who answers questions from the public doesn’t have that information available to them!

mboy
    Free Member

ChrisL, don’t know for certain, but I’d expect they’re 46mm offset. Chatted with Ian Alexander the designer for a while at the 2017 product launch, his preference is for a lower offset he said.

I may be wrong though.

Having tried both before myself, expecting there to be a huge difference (given the guffaw about the increased 51mm offset forks when they first came out), I’d say that at best any benefit from either offset is small. About 5mm at best or therabouts! 😉

rickon
    Free Member

I can’t believe no one has noticed this is the second 529 that Renton’s had.

mboy
    Free Member

mboy – I don’t suppose you know whether the forks on the 629 are 46 or 51mm offset?

Just built another 629 today for a customer…

46mm offset for definite.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘New bike time !! Whyte 529’ is closed to new replies.