Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • New bike thread : Time for a small change about…. 29er Spearfish :)
  • weeksy

Found out last night they’ve dropped the frame price on these. Assuming i can get it by Weds, i can’t see any reason i won’t have it built and ready to roll by Friday this week. Only downside is the Pressfit bottom bracket which isn’t my favourite thing in the world. Will probably buy it in Orange today.

Bought in a Large and in Orange…

Looking forward to getting it built up this week 🙂

ssboggy

FWIW the press fit BB in mine has been fine after a nearly a year although i have been riding the Singlespeed Swift a lot more than the Spearfish. Also i have took the cranks off and wiped out all the seals etc to keep it clean.
    Also you can get adapters so you can fit a regular HT11 BB and chainset

Hope you enjoy it

letmetalktomark

I have to say that I am more than a little curious about these 🙂

The pressfit “thing” is the only deal breaker though.

Whats the build plan?

johnnystorm

The PF30 in my Spearfish hasn’t been any bother at all for me (that’s done it) whereas the BB30 in my Boardman creaked like a bugger to begin with and after sorting it still comes back after about 60 miles or so….

Great bikes, it’s the one I’d keep if I could only have one.

SSBoggy, I’ve got a Swift as well…. 😀

weeksy

Build plan is most of the stuff from my current Giant XTC29 (which is up for sale in parts in for sale section; )

Hope Pro2 Evo’s with Crest
    Formula K18 brakes
    Fox 32 F100 forks
    SLX Crankset
    1 x 10 chainset
    Some sort of Chain device, will use Superstar XCR for now for testing.
    Wellgo B-54’s

ssboggy

If your reusing your SLX chainset all you need is one of these and fit your existing BB into it
    BB Adapter

weeksy

Interesting…. You sure ? lol

It’s interesting as i have a spare XTR BB i could then fit. But then again i could sell the XTR, buy a PF BB30 and fit that instead ?

Oooooh decisions decisons

DT78
    Free Member

Really interested in these, and now the price has dropped…. damn wish I hadn’t opened this thread!

One thing that does put me off is the chainstays are designed to flex… surely after a while (as a serial bike breaker) the alloy will crack?

weeksy

That’s why people invented Warranty 🙂

If it breaks, so be it… lol. Chance you take with all MTb’s i think ?

ssboggy

The slx chain set won’t fit in a pf30 bb as the axel diameter is different. The adapter I linked too definitely works as I had a xt crank and bb fitted to mine before I got a XO double chainset

weeksy

> Wanders off to click that button 🙂

Thanks man.

Vortexracing

That orange one looks just right

what price have they dropped them to, who are they? ie where are you getting it from?

weeksy

£630 at Triton Cycles.

£650 at Charlie the bike monger.

I own KTM’s too so it simply HAD to be orange over the green 🙂

Vortexracing

Bloody hell Thats cheap!!!

and luckily they have no small in stock, phew 🙄

orangeboy
    Free Member

I build an orange one last month and love it. Climbs so well ad does not seem to bob much despite that lack of lock out

Praxis works
    Do a pf30 B&B that will work with a 24 mm axle Chainset eg shimano race face etc

steve_b77
    Free Member

£650 you say, hmmmmm

rOcKeTdOg

didn’t realise it was only 80mm travel

weeksy

I think it’s a spearfish1. Not a 2.

The later ones have more travel and kashima

MoreCashThanDash

A mate of mine has a very blinged one he’s just finished building up for next year’s race season.

I’ve ridden it round Tesco’s car park.

First time I’ve fallen in love in a Tesco’s car park for about 25 years 8)

johnnystorm

Pretty sure they are all 80mm rear travel.

martinxyz
    Free Member

There’s a small green one in fantastic condition for sale on here and the bay. ;O)

weeksy

martinxyz – Member
    There’s a small green one in fantastic condition for sale on here and the bay. ;O)

If yours were a medium, i’d have tried yours instead.

weeksy

Let the games begin

Clink

Nice! 😀

weeksy

Cranks are off the Giant and ready to be fitted. I’ve swapped out to Singlespeed chainring bolts and running just a 32T middle on this bike. Up to now i’m still using a ramped chainring as it’s in transition/testing phase, but will swap to a decent 32T Renthal etc if i stick with this config.

So off to the LBS tomorrow morning to get the headset fitted and discuss the BB options. I’ve bought the BB Adaptor kit from CRC which allows me to run a standard Shimano HT II bottom bracket as i have an XTR BB here unused and spare. However depending on what the LBS mechanic rekons i may just fit a standard Pressfit BB30 bottom bracket.

The Hope headset is all ready to be installed. I have noticed though that my cranks are silver !!!!! Which i’m not exactly happy about so may have to invest in a set of black cranks lol. Then again, a nice set of orange Raceface cranks may have to go on 😉

nuke

Nice indeed. Any chance of weighing the bare frame with shock before building it up?

latham2104
    Free Member

weeksy – i was mega interested in one of these before i opted for a Cotic Solaris. Anyway – the BB thing put me off, but before i made the decision, i was email chatting with one of the techies at Salsa and he sent me some great info on how to build up the bike and do the BB. I have forwarded over the info to your email – it may be some use.

Good luck with the build

wwaswas

is intrigued by half a potato in a plastic bowl.

could we have a live build thread like that student one last week?

Bregante

is intrigued by half a potato in a plastic bowl

Not a small coconut or avocado skin then?
    Nice frame.

wwaswas

no, definetly a plastic bowl.

Bregante

😆

Steelsreal

triton cycles have the horsethief, the spearfish’s bigger borther, normal BB woth ISCG tabs, 142×12 rear end, and a kashima rp23 for £809.99

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m4b0s251p9206/SALSA_Horsethief_Frame

anyone want a On-one scandal in 19.5″ with a slackset to help fund this???? aaaarrrggghhhhhhh

weeksy

The half a potato is actually half a Kinder egg of my 4 year old sons.

Sorry Nuke, i don’t have anything useful to weigh it with. I’ll ask LBS guy tomorrow to do it if he has scales in there.

You could have a live build thread if i wasn’t so ugly and also have the attention span of a Goldfish.

It will also be looking not at it’s best first build as i’m building with bits fitted to the Giant currently, so will have a Superstar XCR chainguide in BLUE !!!! and a set of Deore cranks in SILVER !!!! neither of which will be staying…
    Add to this, a Giant stem, which won’t be staying but not purchasing new one until i know the length i want…

I’ll also be fitting MUDGUARDS !!!!! so no… no build thread 😉

weeksy

Steelsreal – Member
    triton cycles have the horsethief, the spearfish’s bigger borther, normal BB woth ISCG tabs, 142×12 rear end, and a kashima rp23 for £809.99

I was debating that but would have needed to mess about with my Hope rear hub to get that fitted… and it was £200 more…

I’m a happy boy with the Spearfish 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Fantastic value for the Spearfish, they’ll sell like hot cakes. Prefer the green colour myself. 😀

weeksy

I ride KTM’s so it was impossible to resist the lure of the Orange 🙂

KevinPP
    Free Member

Love the look of these, especially the orange frame. Am I right in thinking that all these (cheap) ones are the 135 qr rear end?

weeksy

Yep… well, i say yep, i bloody hope so hahahahaha.

jameso

will have a Superstar XCR chainguide in BLUE !!!!

Will look great imo.. orange and a little bit of blue.

Nice frame, I really like the idea of a short-travel 29er like that.

weeksy

I bought a BB mounted E-13 XCX version last night for a good price on here, so i now have 2 options, seat-tube mount or BB mount as i’m not certain yet how a BB mount will work with the Pressfit BB converters. So open to debate on that….

Sitting here with a frame, HOPE headset, seatpost and a BB/spacers waiting for the LBS to open so he can fit them ‘properly’ for me instead of with a large hammer 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘New bike thread : Time for a small change about…. 29er Spearfish :)’ is closed to new replies.