Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • new bike search after years away. anthem 2 or trance 2 27.5 or what else
  • firestarter
    Free Member

Just been looking around and although I love cx bikes I may be better getting a proper mtb as an only bike

Been looking at anthem and trance 2 27.5 budget around the 1500-1800 mark intended use local loops. Days out in the yorks dales and maybe the odd trail centre tho im not keen. Very much a wheels on the ground rider. So thinking maybe anthem over trance although I had an anthem years ago and it was a bit twitchy with 26inch wheels tho tbh it was a touch small for me too. My turner 5 spot was great but if im honest over kill

Part of me says nice cx and cheap/used mtb but I really only want one bike and really want a 650b

Anything else out there worth a look at for the budget been away that long ive no idea any more

Cheers

firestarter
    Free Member

Damn that was obviously a tough one 😉

bazingaeuan

I sold my old trance (which was amazing!) – In my opinion the new Trance (especially in complete black) is sexy as fooook.

Kuco

IMO a CX bike that can also double for road rides and a mountain bike.

andypaul99
    Free Member

You are about to get bombarded with boutique brands..

But not from me.

The two bikes you picked are brilliant, the Anthem is far more speed and race focused than the Trance, which you already found out but i would never describe the newer Anthems as twitchy, but they are responsive bikes. Did you ride the older Anthem model or the Anthem X (the Anthem X didnt have such steep angles)

The Trance is far more laid back in terms of its nature, and with more travel it will be better at more techy and steeper terrain. I havent ridden the Trance but initial reviews are very favourable, i rode the 26 inch trance and it came across as a bike you would probably never need to replace as it ticks so many boxes.

Dont buy a CX bike if you want to ride on anything other than very smooth fireroads or grass tracks. As it will probably do you head in after a while, they simply arent anywhere near as good or capable as Mtb’s off road, and unless you spend alot of money arent really any lighter than an 27.5 hardtail either, and therefore not much quicker on road either.

An Anthem or Trance for off-road and a cheapish road bike like a Giant Defy, Spech Allez would make a great team. 🙂

spyke85
    Free Member

I rode both Anthem and Trance at Cannock with Giant the other week. I’d choose Anthem anyday. Felt a lot quicker. Trance had way too much travel.

bazingaeuan

You are about to get bombarded with boutique brands..

Haha yup.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’m having a trance v anthem conversation too. I know someone who put some 120mm forks on an old anthem which made it a little more stable and forgiving.

jam-bo

One of these. Kona have really got their shit together this year. Very fast, capable bike.

firestarter
    Free Member

hi it was the old anthem a had the initial 90mm travel one. so very racey and also a size small when i should have had the med tbh so that wont have helped

like i say id rather ride in the dale/lakes all day rather than blast a trail center and my wheels generally stick to the floor

l like the idea of the 27.5 since meeting trev at sswc08 on a converted carver running those wheels. i prefer cx 700cc feel and the 29er are a bit too big but better than 26inch and the 27.5 with tyres are pretty much bang on a cx wheel with tyre so seems good to me 😉

im thinking the anthem is the one now the more i look. as my old 140 was nice i never really found 100mm wanting and slighty bigger wheels give it a feeling of a bit more travel

oh and now looking at the anthem 27.5 1 with the mrs permission lol

honourablegeorge

Are Giant still doing their own stem/steerer standard? “Overdrive”?

I’d avoid buying a bike that has a fork/headset requiring Giant-branded stems only – as much for the annoyance at a new and unecessary standard as anythign else.

firestarter
    Free Member

i stopped fannying about and just put deposit down on for a preorder on an anthem 1 27.5 2014 now i shall have to wait for it 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘new bike search after years away. anthem 2 or trance 2 27.5 or what else’ is closed to new replies.