• This topic has 15 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by LMT.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New bike – same model but 650b or 29er?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

So looking at buying a Camber Comp.

Just can’t decide on wheelsize. I’ve ridden 29ers – I’m tall, long legs (34″). I guess the simple answer is go ride them, but just wondered if anyone else has looked at these and what their thoughts were behind the decision making process.

Fanx

mikewsmith
    Free Member

height, legs length and all that seem to have no bearing on wheel size, unless you are tiny and need a drop stem.

For me it would depend if the model was designed around the wheels or just squashed/stretched to fit other sizes.
    http://www.specialized.com/au/en-au/news/latest-news/17194
    going to be a little while before they come your way unfortunately

As an example
    http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/instinct/2016#/models
    http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/thunderbolt/2015#/models
    2 very similar bikes, similar travel, just about the same angles but completely different to rise, one is playful one is a high speed steam roller in the right/wrong hands.

Given up on the GT?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Not totally but easier to get a spesh. Also looking at anthem sx too. Stumpy just out of my budget.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

2.5k budget

mikewsmith
    Free Member

is that $2.5k? The Alu Camber?

What do you want from it? zip or playful?

LMT
    Free Member

I went for the 29er love it! Great bike, still quite playful as it’s based on last years evo version.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah it’s 2.5 on the spesh site. Might be deals after Christmas. Looking for best fork frame and brakes at that cost and anything can be upgraded. I’m more distance than drops and jumps and leaning towards a 29er really I suppose. Need to book in some tests.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Cheers lmt. Yeah it’s 130mm which is plenty for me.

garage-dweller

2015 camber EVO owner here =29r.

Bought late in the year and only about a dozen rides in but The evo just seems to demolish xc / out for a ride in the hills stuff in a good way and the big wheels are especially good for chewed up surfaces. It’s no slouch on the tight stuff but it needs persuading to turn in more than my 26r hardtail and I have yet to get the hang of making it leave the ground (not a major feature of most of my riding anyway).

Edit, not sure if that’s helpful as it’s last year’s I’ve got but you never know.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Well they don’t do an evo now but the 2016 has the same travel and geometry. Thanks for the replies tho. Keep em coming. Pics too?

ceepers

Two mates have the 29er evo, one tall, one short, both love it. It laps up trail centre, exmoor, quantocks etc it’s made both of them a lot faster. One came from a trek fuel, the other had a fancy whyte full sus

aphex_2k
    Free Member

ah piss…. was lookking at the us site…. the camber comp is 3500 here….

bttdb

hey that anthem sx looks good (well, more my budget)

was considering a trance x 29er as a local guy was selling a pretty much unused one for 2000 (full xt iirc). im all for a bargain…

Tracey

There were some very good deals going on Cambers earlier this year. Bought one for Abigale to train on £1350 for a medium Evo 29r. Think Bikescene had some in when we went up for her S Works Enduro.

warns74
    Free Member

. was looking at the us site…. the camber comp is 3500 here…

Where is “here” and where are you looking?

2016 camber comp (alu) is £2k
    2016 camber comp (carbon) is £3k

aphex_2k
    Free Member

“here” is Western Australia

It’s about $2 to the pound

LMT
    Free Member

I did ride a 26er camber expert and had a 29er hardtail a canyon, when I went for the 29er camber I will admit I tried a stumpy first but far too much travel.

Had a blast at CYB not long after getting the new bike, one of my cycling mates is always quicker than me downhill as after a big crash I have a nervous edge, but the camber 29er I beat him and not just a second a good 10 seconds. If I’m completely honest I don’t notice the difference between the 26er camber and the 29er, I did go down a frame size but other than that it feels the same bike. Same travel, good wide bars, the clatter free sram mech is a bit odd as its silent but its the bike I would happily recommend.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New bike – same model but 650b or 29er?’ is closed to new replies.