Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New bike, problem with forks, who should be sorting this out?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Bike purchased on Saturday and the forks locked up, 95-140mm U-turns on a £1k bike btw, returned it to the shop on Sunday and they kept it to service the forks, got them working ok so went back to pick it up, Monday morning without even ridng it they were locked up again, so bike went back to the shop again. They didn’t seem very clear on what they were going to do, when I spoke to them on the phone late today they hadn’t done anything yet and were suggesting they were going to look at them again. Obviously I’m not to keen on having them serviced again and suggested they probably need new internals or a new fork?

Now, I can’t help thinking to myself ‘why don’t you contact the company that supplied the bike’

So, who’s responsibility is it to sort these out, the shop or the bike company or the fork suppliers – at what point can I start demanding something is done? I would have thought the bike company – it’s a Rockshox oem fork? Kinda puzzles me why they haven’t got on to any of the suppliers yet to get the ball rolling so I’m not waiting ages for a part/bike/fork to come in?

Or, am I just being impatient (and a bit pee’d off with all the travelling back and forth, it’s a 40+ mile round trip each time), y’know new bike wanna get out and ride it?

druidh
    Free Member

Shop.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Forks not fit for purpose, shop has to replace them. I think you were pretty reasonable allowing the shop to have a crack at fixing them to be honest. A friend had an issue with some forks on a new bike. They worked fine, but the lowers had a small chip. The shop agreed to replace them, but the suppliers replacements were also cosmetically damaged. By the time a 3rd pair were supplied, my mate accepted that Specialized were unable to supply a mint pair of forks. The shop (Stonehenge Cycles in Salisbury) dealt with all this then gave a £100 refund on the bike. Result: one happy customer 🙂

thefallguy
    Free Member

bike not fit for purpose, demand a replacement from the shop, have a talk to your local trading standards to find out your rights.

billybob
    Free Member

I’d get the shop to swap em & warranty the current forks.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Don’t want to start stamping my feet just yet, but can they try to fix it? I made it clear today I wouldn’t be happy with just another service. I thought it would simply be a warranty issue and replace the forks – would this be rockshox or specialized? And how long is that going to take to get parts? 😐

sherry
    Free Member

I would just ask them to replace the complete bike, if they wouldn’t then I would ask them to replace the forks, if they refused to do that as well I would demand a refund. They have sold a faulty bike and you have been pretty reasonable with them, its the shops duty to rectify this quickly, after all they were quick to take your money!

gizzardman
    Free Member

Hi Kojak,

You will find the answer here; http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sale-of-goods-act-right-or-wrong

Consumer Direct is your greatest friend! My 09 revs packed up atter 2 weeks. I demanded a replacement and not a repair but they were digging there heels in big time ‘Our policy is that we will try to repair the forks within 28 days if faulty’ they said, ‘Go **** yourself’ came my reply. As soon as i mentioned Consumer Direct and that the matter will be taken up in a small claims court they pretty swiftly got some new Revs to me. Then my very, very kind LBS (evans) took the revs, put them on their inventory as a £550 credit and oredered me some Fox Floats and i paid the difference… Result, big time. Speak to them ASAP!!

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, interesting reading your link gizzardman and thanks for the info. if I don’t get satisfaction I’ll start mentioning consumer rights/act, consumer direst, etc.

I emailed specialized uk last night to see what they have to say, previous experience with them and their customer service has been excellent, so I’ll see what they respond with then get back to the shop, as far as I’m concerned it’s got to be new forks, replacement bike or a refund!

🙂

I work in education, we get 4 weeks off for easter and here I am itching to get out on the bike, it’s bugging me a bit, ggrrrr! 👿

barca
    Free Member

My (then) brand new Sub 5 form North West Mountain Bikes in Stockport was delivered to them with a rear shock with lockout that didn’t even hold air, forget the lockout. They told me about the problem when I went to pick it up, put a spare shock (without lockout) on and let me use that until Orange sent a replacement. How would you feel if the shop fitted a different fork (even if it’s not as good as the one you should have) until they can replace it with a brand new fork? mIght be worth discussing with the shop? Gets you out on your bike, the shop are not quite so pressured to get your fork working and they can send the fork back to the manufacturer and order a completely new one?

mrfrosty
    Free Member

The shop should sort it out as your purchase contract is with them. If they’ve “tried” to fix them, not sure how rs uk people would veiw tampering with a brand new fork, poss causing more damage than good. I’d give fishers a call think there the uk fs people an tell them the deal.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

All sorted out now 😀

I hope …. 😉

Picking it up tomorrow so I’ll be able to scratch that itch!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New bike, problem with forks, who should be sorting this out?’ is closed to new replies.