Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New bike presta vs schrader WTD
  • abductee
    Free Member

Following these 2 threads

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/help-me-choose-a-cheap-fs-bike

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/1k-bouncer-for-a-biffer

I have eventually bought a GT ID5 from Halfords (£200 off and tax free with 18 month interest free).

It comes with Alex DP20 rims which have a snug fitting presta valve. The problem is, my other bikes and all my spare tubes have Schrader (car tyre) valves and they won't fit through the hole.

I would like to standardise on one valve type. I could replace all the tubes on the other bikes & spares with presta or I could drill the holes out and use schrader throughout.

Do I drill the hole out so the Schrader will fit or will it ruin the wheels?

Which valve type do you think is best and why?

mtbrDot
    Free Member

8.5mm drill would work.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have the same nervousness as the OP about bashing a drill through expensive rims. Is it fairly reliably OK to do?

nickc

It's fine. Nice and steady, remember to clean out the swarf, and give the hole a file smooth, otherwise you'll flat the first time out.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Is it fairly reliably OK to do?

that depends on the driller :o) If you are a hamfisted numpty – get someone else to do it…

AndyP
    Free Member

I could replace all the tubes on the other bikes & spares with presta
    gets my vote

BigDummy
    Free Member

Thanks Nick. I shall not hold you responsible. 🙂

CHB

I run all my bikes with presta tubes with an Alu presta/schraeder adapter on one of the wheels. That way I know my spare tubes will fit any rim and that I can use any pump without faffing to convert the innards.

The adapters were about £4 for 10 from ebay.

grumm
    Free Member

ghetto tubeless instead of getting new tubes? 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just drill it out. It's tiny fractions of metal that are removed, I've been doing it for years. Just make sure you file the burrs off.
    TBH why anybody bothers with Presta valves is beyond me anyway.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

TBH why anybody bothers with Presta valves is beyond me anyway.

Peter, it's a secret code, like wearing your keys on your belt…

abductee
    Free Member

Right I'm off to the shed to find an 8.5mm drill bit. I get the part about using presta tubes because they will fit any rim but to look at it the other way round If you have a big hole either valve will fit.

I will have a look for the presta-schrader adaptors because faffing to convert the innards could be a real problem if you're in the middle of nowhere and drop them in the heather. I've had to faff in the past when lending my pump to the secret code people.

I have a decathlon clever track pump which uses magic to pump either type without faffing but I haven't got a clever mini pump.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New bike presta vs schrader WTD’ is closed to new replies.