Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New bike – pre first ride tips?
  • loowcie
    Free Member

Just got a new bike (my second) bike and after riding my first canny hard for three years I wondered what is recommended to keep my nice new bike working and looking good for as long as possible before it’s maiden voyage 🙂

Bike is 2011 Marin mount vision Xm8 and I have covered the usual (and a few more) spots in helitape to stop paint damage.

Any handy tips gratefully appreciated!

Ta, Lucy.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Keep the drive train clean and learn how to service forks and shock if you cannot already do so. Apart from that, rag it. That is what bikes are for.

legend
    Free Member

make sure your brakes and suspension are setup how you think you’ll want them – then just ride it like stole it 😉

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Make sure the suspension bolts are done up properly. Probably more of a post maiden voyage check really, but keep an eye on them. I always seem to shed jockey wheels out of new mechs, too but that’s probably just me…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If it’s got cup and cone hubs, then get a decent amount if thick grease in them before use. This helps the cones last a looooong time and you get to check the locknuts for tighness too. I’ve seen more than one brand new hub lock solid due to loose nuts!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Helicopter tape ftw

loowcie
    Free Member

Thanks guys, helpful info 🙂

Out of interest also, what’s the best way to get me brakes bedded in? I won’t to look after this bike abit better than the last…………and then it’ll be getting ragged all over!

loowcie
    Free Member

Captjon – mint comment!

Basil

Cover everything in helitape!
    Set all controls to you. Costs nothing and makes a hugh difference.
    Buy a chain cleaning device -from about £8 upward

project
    Free Member

Buy a decent lock and upgrade security for its new home.

project
    Free Member

Dont leave it in a waitrose car park, it may get banged by a fat woman driving a Ka.

aftershock
    Free Member

Don’t Jet wash it

sofatester
    Free Member

What’s the best way to get me brakes bedded in?

Bake them in the oven at gas mark 6 for 43 minutes. Then fit them to your bike without burning your fingers. Once this is done revolve your wheels backwards at precisely 2.5mph whilst depressing the brake lever with a consistent force of 24n.

Repeat Ad infinitum.

Tea anyone?

loowcie
    Free Member

Very funny.

jimc101
    Free Member

For chain cleaning, wouldn’t bother with the chain cleaning device, just get some Fenwicks FS Foaming degreaser, works far better than any chain device I’ve ever used

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New bike – pre first ride tips?’ is closed to new replies.