Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • new bike ….pipedream
  • markinoxon
    Free Member

Right, my new 18″ Sirius frame arrives tomorrow. I’ll have the apparently lardy thing on the scales and a pic on here over the weekend.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I think I’ll be well up for one of the Scion frames next year.

Been thinking sbout a Sirius for a while but the sliding dropouts arent for me.

markinoxon
    Free Member

New 18″ Sirius frame has arrived today and here are the weights:

Frame = 2.333kg (5.143lbs)
    Sliders, bolts and screws = 178g (0.392lbs)
    Total = 2.511kg (5.535lbs)(Claimed total = 2.46 kg/5.4lbs).

packer
    Free Member

That weight seems reasonable for a steel frame with sliders.

How do maufacturers get away with this whole “claimed weight” scam anyway?? It is always well below the actual weight. All they have to do is put their product on a scale as you have done and then give us the real figures. It seems to be accepted that official weight figures are basically lies – it’s high time manufacturers started being honest about weights.

Northwind

packer – Member

“That weight seems reasonable for a steel frame with sliders.”

It’s not bad, unless it’s made of 853. Fair enough the sliders do add weight but tbh even if you remove that weight entirely it’s still overweight for an 853 XC frame warrantied for only 130mm. Fair enough a Soul’s over £100 more expensive but that’s the benchmark and it’s a pound lighter, and warrantied for more fork to boot.

Kahurangi

Mine is the same as markinoxon’s. 18″, 5.5 lb.

Northwind – that’s exactly what I thought when mine arrived. I toyed with selling it on. I am very, very glad I didn’t.

PJay
    Free Member

We seem to be getting very hung up about the weight of the Sirius as if that’s the only thing that matters. WMB clearly weren’t that bothered and neither am I; mine rides really nicely regardless. Any extra weight certainly doesn’t seem to affect things adversely from my perspective and it may well add a bit of extra strength and durability. I guess that it’s down to the individuals and what they want from a frame but I’m happy with mine.

CheesybeanZ

lets be honest how many of us can feel a bit of extra weight when were on our favourite bit of single track or sliding around in the mud .
    anyone getting a Sirius isnt buying an xc race bike , its a great trail bike that can run gears , single speed or even take a set of 650Bs if you felt the urge . its a great bike dont get stuck on one small point .

Northwind

PJay – Member

“We seem to be getting very hung up about the weight of the Sirius as if that’s the only thing that matters.”

Mmm, maybe. It’s just the bit they got wrong, is all. The fact is you pay for an 853 frame but you don’t get all the benefits. If they’d got it right, they could have got the same handling and lost the lard, or use a cheaper tubeset and saved you a few pennies, think we can all agree that’d be a good thing no? And it’s not because of bad design, Pipedream know their stuff, it’s because of bad management and planning.

Certainly doesn’t make it a bad frame, just not as good as it should have been. It doesn’t take anything away from the stuff they got right, which tbh is why I think it’s such a shame. if it was a rotten frame and overweight, who’d care?

billbixby
    Free Member

Of course you get all the benefits, the added weight comes from the 4130 sections making it marginally heavier than the Soul at 5lbs, which isn’t too unreasonable considering it rides better than a Soul (more direct, better handling) and is cheaper than a Soul. I certainly wouldn’t pay the extra for a Soul. If it wasn’t for the extra beef you actually wouldn’t have the ride quality you’ve got with it. And any pandering to the “not light weight” wrap it got, Pipedream are just responding to what people want with their “rider driven philosophy” – I’m not sure that’s a smart move with the proposed ‘Scion’ to be honest (if it ever arrives)

As for forks, Stuart rides his with a 140mm fork, as do I and wouldn’t dream of running it any different (if I did I’d fall over the front). All in all, a very versatile and capable frame with some very appealing qualities indeed, and builds up into a cracking ride with the right bits on it….and I wouldn’t shell out the extra for a Soul unless I actually preferred the end product (which I don’t) and needed the small weight saving.

I will say this though, it was more luck than judgement that they ended up with the product they got. :mrgreen:

specializedneeds

17.5″ Soul is 4.4 lbs according to Si, so at 5.5 lbs the 18″ Sirius is quite a large percentage heavier.

billbixby
    Free Member

You see the weight above (5.1), mine’s a medium at 5.0.

The trouble with the first batch of Sirius frames is the weight on some of them (ie, not the majority) was all over the place. I’m not even sure that first production run should have shipped, but that’s just my opinion.

Kahurangi

But the 17.5″ Soul is £470 no? (luckily?) I pre-ordered but I’m getting a more versatile, just as capable frame for £250. The Soul is still quite a large percentage more expensive.

Northwind

billbixby: “As for forks, Stuart rides his with a 140mm fork, as do I and wouldn’t dream of running it any different (if I did I’d fall over the front)”

So the handling is brilliant but you need to run it with a fork longer than it’s designed for, warrantied for, or could pass the CEN testing with?

The Soul (and most 853 frames) has cro-mo components too so that doesn’t explain the weight difference. (I’m not aware of anyone using the 853 stays, there probably is someone though)

“If it wasn’t for the extra beef you actually wouldn’t have the ride quality you’ve got with it.”

Sorry but that’s just making excuses. How does the weight improve the ride quality?

markinoxon
    Free Member

My post and photo above about my lovely new frame’s weight was for info rather than a moan.

I weigh around thirteen and a half stone – about a stone of that is spare. Even if this great frame were a pound over weight, I doubt the average ‘carrying a few pounds’ trail rider with average ability would even notice.

If the ride of my good looking, great handling bike is ruined by one pound I’ll just take my morning constitutional before setting off. 🙂

Kahurangi

My post and photo above about my lovely new frame’s weight was for info rather than a moan.

Agreed. The folk still moaning about the weight don’t seem to have ridden one.

Yes, it is heavier than it could be and yes it is heavier than some of the competition.

No, I don’t care (any more).

billbixby
    Free Member

So the handling is brilliant but you need to run it with a fork longer than it’s designed for, warrantied for, or could pass the CEN testing with?

Handling is outstanding and it’s personal preference. I prefer to run mine at 140, a lot I would imagine going off that WMB review choose to run it at 120, or lower – not for me though, thanks. Just doesn’t do it for me. I did say it was versatile. I have no idea whether it was CEN tested at 140 and don’t really care.

The Soul (and most 853 frames) has cro-mo components too so that doesn’t explain the weight difference. (I’m not aware of anyone using the 853 stays, there probably is someone though)

The small weight addition is what it is, and from what I can tell is in the double S bends – it works for that particular design. I tend to think that’s where the “more luck than judgement” comes in.

Sorry but that’s just making excuses. How does the weight improve the ride quality?

The added weight works in the designs favour firming up the back end just enough without ruining the ride. The balance it struck was just right, like I said, I suspect more luck than judgement involved.

And I’ve ridden both, I doubt you have.

Northwind

I’ve ridden one of the first run- I was half thinking of buying one based on their original claimed weight and pre-order price before the redesign, to build up as a rigid. It was OK, prefer my Soul for its agility and balance but it wasn’t bad at all, it just didn’t fit the bill in the end.

“The added weight works in the designs favour firming up the back end just enough”

The rear end’s pretty much the same in feel as my Soul. And it’s made out of the same material, they’ve both got cromo rear ends. So that’s not where the excess weight lives. Also the non-CEN version had the same shaped rear end but not the weight.

Don’t misunderstand me here, I think it’s a nice enough frame and a better option than Inbreds etc despite the weight and the poor design decisions.

But people insist on excusing or even justifying the weight- I’ve no beef with anyone who says “Sure, it’s a bit heavy but it rides well and I like it”, that’s what I said of my Idrive- but if you find yourself resorting to totally spurious justification rather than being realistic about it then that should tell you something, no?

Don’t try and make an asset of it when it’s no such thing, or excuse it with false explanations, just be realistic about it and say it’s an excellent but flawed design that you still think stands on its merits despite its flaws. Simple.

billbixby
    Free Member

Except it’s a completely different rear end design to the Soul. They also changed tube diameter and wall thickness, so yes, that is where the bulk of the so called ‘excess’ went.

You’re just another full of it Soul rider.

Northwind

“Except it’s a completely different rear end design to the Soul. “

Of course it is, but it’s functionally comparable and made of the same materials. If it’s much heavier to do the same job then that speaks for itself.

(FWIW I’m only a Soul rider just now because I’m waiting for a replacement Mmmbop, I like it a lot but I’m no fanboi. But it’s the benchmark for a mid-travel 853 hardtail so it’s where you’ve got to make the comparison, and it’s very obvious where it fails to measure up, and why, and where it stands on merit and competes. What they got right, they got very right, and what they got wrong they’ve been very open about which is great)

donsimon
    Free Member

The Pipedream I have isn’t what I would call heavy and I would be happy to do a 75km+ race with it.
    Racing specific duties go to the Orbea Alma.
    The Sirius is a great frame for the money, great fun and who cares about the weight. The Recons weigh a good kilo more that the fork on the Alma. A lightweight frame is going to be something less than 1,5kg and cost considerably more.

Enjoy it, they’re ace.

theboatman
    Free Member

I ride an older soul, and my riding mate has a new sirus, and we both run reba’s at 120mm. Having ridden them side by side on a couple of occasions I really couldn’t tell the difference, other than the contact points, and to me both a pretty nifty bikes if you like steel hardtails. I stand amazed at how some people are able to isolate such great difference between frames of the same material given all the variables, and whilst hammering it through the local woods etc. There is quite a bit of the emperor’s new clothes in bikes, it helps us all to justify our spends, but some folk need to get a grip.

HTTP404
    Free Member

If you’re a weight weenie – worry about it.
    If you’re not – just get out and ride.

But having said that – there is a significant difference in weight between the Soul and I would wonder where that extra metal is and how it affects the ride. Somebody’s said no difference in ride, but it looks like something between half to a whole pound difference. That’s got to affect the ride.

billbixby
    Free Member

You increase the tube diameter and wall thickness (all more metal) add those sliding drop-outs and increase head tube thickness and it all adds up. Yet the added weight gives the new Sirius a better poise and control over the old (considerably lighter) one, it just feels ‘right’.

Soul probably is a “benchmark weight”, but certainly not ride as far as I’m concerned. I can think of a couple of steel frames I’d go for over a Soul.

donsimon
    Free Member

If you’re a weight weenie – worry about it buy something carbon.
    If you’re not – just get out and ride.

😀

Clink

On another note – Pjay would that have you on your green Pipedream that we saw in Glasto/Street today??

PJay
    Free Member

Clink,

Yes I expect that was me (unless there are two), on my way back from a tootle to Wells.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I’m happy with my Sirius 853, like many of us I have a shitload of weight to loose off my frame before I give a crap what a bike frame weighs.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘new bike ….pipedream’ is closed to new replies.