Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New bike or old faithful?
  • Euro
    Free Member

I have a new bike that really wants to be ridden. It’s pishing down and i’ve got a bit of a cold and the local forest is a mess at the best of times. I’d want my first proper go on the bike to be joyous occasion but i don’t think today’s the day. Should i save the first ride for a more suitable time and take the old trusty hardtail out?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Got my new road bike to ride for a sportive in the morning, but hoofing down here and will be the old bike , although I have ridden the new one 20 miles last weekend, which makes me want to ride it again !!

mtbfix

My new bike is going out tomorrow. It’ll have to get mud on it eventually. Considering stripping the old bike to remove the temptation of just hauling that out again whilst it is still dirty.

mtbfix

I retract my previous statement. It is hounding it down out there and I may just sit in the lounge looking at the new bike and wondering at how, if I lived in California, the bike would have cost me less and the trails may be dry.

Euro
    Free Member

It’s done now. 😀

Trail conditions were far from ideal but I was really surprised how well the bike coped. There were more ups than downs, which is unusual for me, but the bike climbed really well. I now officially a dropper post convert – such a handy wee gimmick.

I never really pushed it going down. I had a go early on, on a fairly sketchy drop with a steep run out, but crashed into a big ole tree after landing and decided that today was not the day.

Only fly in the ointment is the amount of cosmetic damage i’ve inflicted in just one ride. Crank arms and rear triangle are well scuffed and there’s a few scratches on the main frame. Oh, and loads of bark jammed into the stem and brake levers 😳

So far a very impressive toy.

faz083
    Free Member

looks v nice. cosmetic damage is inevitable! just got to deal with it 🙂

Euro
    Free Member

Cheers faz. I’m not that bothered about the cosmetics really, part and parcel of having a bike. Just annoyed that I managed to do more damage in a 2 hour ride than the previous owner did in two years of ownership.

mtbfix, i hope i’ve shamed you into going out on yours 😉

Frankers
    Free Member

Euro – Member
    Cheers faz. I’m not that bothered about the cosmetics really, part and parcel of having a bike. Just annoyed that I managed to do more damage in a 2 hour ride than the previous owner did in two years of ownership.
    mtbfix, i hope i’ve shamed you into going out on yours

LOL !!!

Euro
    Free Member

I didn’t mention that i dropped my multitool while putting in a new dropper cable in and took a chunk of paint off the frame. I am a clumsy putz.

Bike is awesome Frankers, but you already knew that 😀

kiwijohn

You lost it with those tyres? Not surprised.

Frankers
    Free Member

Bike looks awesome in the pics….

catnash
    Free Member

Same bike as me, so good that I haven’t the need to change it, few upgrades though. Have Hans dampf on mine and its a real bike for all that I can throw at it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New bike or old faithful?’ is closed to new replies.