Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New Bike, needs to last a fair few years…29 or650b what's the safer bet??
  • Wookster

I’ll be honest, been away for MTB’s a while and my epic stock of 26″ tyres is now defunct!! I’m MTB free so what ever I get will be it for me!!

So million dollar question

What’s the most likely to be around in five years?? I just want to be able to buy wheels tyres etc!!

Any thoughts!!

helpful1
    Free Member

eh? 26″ tyres and rims will still be around in 20 years.

scotroutes

Probably not with the same selection of higher-end choices though (like 8-speed is still available but not in XT).

Wookster – what type of biking are you planning and how tall are you?

mboy
    Free Member

It won’t be a problem either way.

The industry is sticking with both sizes it would seem, both have their advantages, and both have their fans.

Buy the bike you like, and don’t worry too much is my advice.

scandal42
    Free Member

This makes my heart bleed

Buy either, buy whichever you like, they are going nowhere.

Just ride.

bikeneil
    Free Member

New Bike, needs to last a fair few years…29 or650b what’s the safer bet??

How would the wheel size determine how long the bike lasts? Surely looking after it better would take care of that, no?

Wookster

I’m 6’2 and a bit mate. I like riding normal woodsy type trails, never gonna consider a big drop! Gotta work on Monday!!

Scandal, agreed. But I’m not looking for the next best, I just want to be able to go to my LBS and pick bits up! 26″ stuff is dropping off a bit.

I like the look of the Trsnsition scout, seems like a good fit for me, as I’m. Happy to admit I just don’t need 160mm travel bike!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Will be riding my 26-ers for years to come, so way ever you buy its up to you alone how long you want to ride it. You’ve run out of 26 tyres so buy some more !

taxi25
    Free Member

Buy either, buy whichever you like, they are going nowhere.

+1
    You mentioned a Scout, I’d get one of those.

helpful1
    Free Member

not really sure why anyone scared to ride a drop would be considering a bike like the Scout.

johnhe

I only own 26″ bikes a the mo, but if I bought a new bike now, it would be a 650b. The Scout looks lovely, whether you ride big drops or not.

noahhowes
    Free Member

I like the look of the Trsnsition scout, seems like a good fit for me, just don’t need 160mm travel!!

The Scout has 125mm travel. It’s also lovely. Buy whatever you like, both are here to stay for a while for their own reasons.

Wookster

Helpful, fair point, I’m happy to admit I’ll get off and walk around anything over 3foot mate!!

Noah, I’ve tidied up my post the 160mm was more an admission I don’t need or want a big bike!

belugabob
    Free Member

I would buy the bike that you enjoy riding, if you want to ensure that it lasts a few years – wheel size has nothing to do with it.

Not sure if I should be saying this, but a more important long term factor would be to go for one that takes a tapered steerer, as straight steerer forks seem to becoming less common – I may be wrong about this (Especially as I saw an article recently about TFTuned/Fox doing a special batch of them)

nwill1
    Free Member

I have 3 26″ bikes plus my wife’s 26″ 😕

As above if your keeping it a fair few years as will I…buy the bike that works best for you and gives you that warm glow inside each time you open the shed/garage door 😀

Wookster

Ok cool. Thanks I’ll I’ll keep looking about and go for the “oh Yeah” inducing ( affordable) bike regardless of wheel size!

Jeffus
    Free Member

For bimbling along I like my 29er it flows nicely and seems to make me cover ground quicker and for me it beats me up less, my other bike is a 26″ 160mm and I give that a good go on the more demanding trails it compensates for my lack of ability 😀

kerley
    Free Member

As the only thing that makes a wheel size is the rim (hub irrelevant and spokes always available in full range of lengths) I would think 26″ rims will always be available – or at least as long as any bike purchased now is in use.

I think getting non-tapered steerers and 9/10mm QR hub compatible frame and forks will be a problem before the demise of 26″ wheels but even then it is only a hub change.

woodster

29ers will at least be able to fit the inevitable 28.25/675d semi-plus standard.

I am loving my swap to 29, but I’m sure there’s plenty of 650b-ers out there that I’d like as much and I wouldn’t worry about either going anywhere soon. If one does look like becoming obsolete then just shift it before everyone on STW starts to complain that no one wants the old standard.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New Bike, needs to last a fair few years…29 or650b what's the safer bet??’ is closed to new replies.