• This topic has 25 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ton.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • new bike needs lower gears…..options
  • ton

new bike comes with 32 front 11/42 11spd rear.
    i am a big lump and like to spin gears. i also want to keep single ring at front.

solutions please.

scc999

Smaller front ring, or am I missing something?

simondbarnes

Smaller front ring and larger cassette.

onandon
    Free Member

If you have a direct mount crank it could be a nice simple, cheap option.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

smaller ring, bigger cassette, smaller back wheel

thestabiliser
    Free Member

How about…ring, front sma…no, er what if…rear, bigger, casse….nah, no good, suppose you were to…..nope. sorry I’ve got nothing

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

30t oval up front, 11-46 at back will be fine big yin.

ton

front is a 104bcd. can i fir a 28 if i can dind one?

5thElefant
    Free Member

As it’s not direct mount you’ll need to change the cassette. A 50t kit will do it.

twonks

I bought the sunrace 11-50 cassette from the Germans at a good price. Works great with shimano 11 speed medium cage mech and shifter., and 32t front ring.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What bike did ye get Tony?

Northwind

ton – Member

front is a 104bcd. can i fir a 28 if i can dind one?

Absoluteblack do a 28T that mounts to 64bcd granny tabs. Or a 30T oval might do it for you.

singlespeedstu

AB do a 28t that’ll fit a 104 crank.
    It bolts to the grant tabs and puts the chainring midway between granny and inner position which can also improve the back pedaling problems in the 42t.

Andy-R

Absoluteblack do a 28T that mounts to 64bcd granny tabs.

Yes, I’m using one on my LV 301 – the benefit is you have a better chainline too.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Hope do a nice 30T ring that’ll fit any 104BCD chainring, with the added bonus that the rear locating chainring bolts are superfluous as the bolt holes are threaded.

Otherwise, if you’ve got a SRAM crank then you might be better served with a direct mount crankset or if you’ve a Shimano crankset then you could swap for a RaceFace jobby?

metalheart
    Free Member

If you’d asked nicely they’d do yer a double up front and any gearing you care to specify. Go custom custom. Phone them up and tell them I sent you… 🙄

Well, they did for me (and I ain’t special….) 😆

Mine was on their website and they sent out an email telling people that it was an option (I just went straight to the top and asked for a special 😀 ).

26/36 11-42.

ETA: sorry, missed the wanting to keep single up front…. 😳

PJM1974
    Free Member

If you’d asked nicely they’d do yer a double up front and any gearing you care to specify.

Whoa, we’ll have none of that niche stuff here!

metalheart
    Free Member

Whoa, we’ll have none of that niche stuff here!

Sorry, IGMC 😳

ton

cheers gents.

ton

bike has landed……… 😀

chainring is one of these in a 32. 28 now ordered.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race-face-direct-mount-cinch-narrow-wide-chainring/rp-prod113269

akira

Fitting smaller wheels would be a third option, ridiculous I admit but people seemed to give up after only two suggestions and I didn’t want to discount anything.

jobro
    Free Member

I bought the sunrace 11-50 cassette from the Germans at a good price. Works great with shimano 11 speed medium cage mech and shifter., and 32t front ring.

Did you have to use a goat link to get that to work twonks?

akira

Mech is designed for 46t but it’s has 41t capacity so should be fine with 11-50.

RustySpanner

Pictures!

Enjoy your hols?
    And how did you get on with the Tour der Fer?

daern
    Free Member

bike has landed………

chainring is one of these in a 32. 28 now ordered.
    Of course, the downside of a chainring swap is that you lose high-end as you gain low-end – i.e. you may run out of gears on a fast descent or on a road section. Widening your cassette range would maintain your existing high gear, but extend your low range at a cost of widening the gap between individual gears.

Horses for courses, of course, but bear this in mind.

ton

Enjoy your hols?
    And how did you get on with the Tour der Fer?

hols were ace….france on a bike is like heaven.
    went on the ogre, more comfort. finding the genesis more like a sturdy audax bike. gearing is far too big for touring.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘new bike needs lower gears…..options’ is closed to new replies.