Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New Bike – H/T – What frame protection should I apply and where?
  • fingers202
    Free Member

Hi new bike, never bothered with frame protection before, what should I use and where? Was looking at helicopter tape, chainstay and front forks.

What works, and what is keek?

toaster93
    Free Member

I have a lizard skin on the chainstay, and a few bits of black tape to prevent cable rub. Only problem is I have had to cut the lizard skin down to fit.

fingers202
    Free Member

I saw they had mixed reviews, other than length has it been ok,for what it does!!

lunge

Chain stay protector and a few bits of 'copter tape around the head tube to stop cable rub is as far as i have ever gone.

atlaz
    Free Member

Chainstay protector and some tape. I bought 15m off some online shop a year or two back and have enough left to do another 20 bikes at the rate I'm using it (it's also being used for sidewall cuts too).

Slogo
    Free Member

put tape anywhere the cable touches the frame. eg headtube toptube fork.

or you could rap the whole thing in cotton wool. its for riding don't worry to much about it. you will get over it pretty quick like i did!

plus a chain protector would be best on the chain stay CRC do one for like £3 or a raceface one on wiggle is £4 atm.

solar
    Free Member

I've used the clear lizard skins protector and the carbon one too. The carbon style one is by far the best. Wouldn't bother with the thin clear ones again.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I use this stuff I find it much better than a lizard skin. And you can wrap it around a few times to make it thicker at certain points like I have to stop my rear mech smacking the chainstay now it just thuds softly. Oh and it covers a much larger area too, its also great for fs bikes with funny shaped swingarms.

http://www.biketart.com/products/framewrap

YOu can just about make it out on mine.

tron
    Free Member

Some kind of tape where the cables rub & a slit inner tube / old tyre cable tied to the chainstay. Inner tube is lighter, old tyre looks flashier… Both should be free.

jordie
    Free Member

Cut a tube in half then half again wrap chain stay.Nip down to B&Q for some black sparkie tape then over wrap the tube it looks really neat and stays oil free unlike neoprene chainstay wraps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New Bike – H/T – What frame protection should I apply and where?’ is closed to new replies.