Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New bike for the nephew – opinions wanted.
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Nephew is after a new bike for Christmas.

He likes the idea of building one himself, I think it’s a great plan, but limited budget might make it tough to do.

Winstanley however are doing this http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/28580/DiamondBack_Apex_Bike_2010

Which on the face of it seems a decent deal, with average reviews online.

Any opinions on the bike itself?

adilc123
    Free Member

Have a look on here, some great deals.

http://paulscycles.co.uk/

Adil.

Xylene
    Free Member

Been looking there as well.

I think if the tight sod puts his own hand in his pocket will have about £500 to spend, which can potentially build up an ok bike with second hand parts.

I may even offer to let him rummage in my parts box for his christmas present if he wants, and keep his costs down.

At the same time, my life would be so much easier with an off the shelf bike for him.

adilc123
    Free Member

I had one of these for about a year it went everwhere my mates 3k bikes went.

http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p1747&tbv=GIANT_YUKON_FX2_

Adil.

Xylene
    Free Member

^ I’ve looked at that a few times and wondered. Problem is I see Dart 2 Alvio etc, which for me wouldn’t do, but for a 14 year old, who doesn’t really do much on it other than the odd venture out, it would probably be great.

adilc123
    Free Member

Go for the FX1, my mate has got one.

Think mine did have a slightly different set up.

Adil.

moniex
    Free Member

I just built my 8 year old his first 26″ wheeled bike (he is tall). Cost £350 in all and is build around a tiny rockhopper frame. It has shimano slx disc brakes, rock shock duke air forks and dt swiss wheels. Finished off with deore drivetrain and some new schwalbe tyres from on one. All stuff bought used, mostly from here.

For a 14 year old you will have more choice in frames and forks as he will be taller and heavier than my son (we needed short travel light air ones for my son).

Build one with him i’d say, my son loved collecting all the bits (which I of course colour coordinated, being a girl), and he helped building it. I did most of it and took it to the bike shop to finish tuning the gears.

His bike rides lovely and is much better than anything else you can get for that money.

Simone

Neil-F
    Free Member

I bought the Giant Yukon FX3 in 2009 for £310 from Pauls with the intention of changing it if I got into this Mountain bike carry on.
    I did get into it, but the bike remains, I’ve just changed/upgraded everything as required, and believe me, this bike takes a few good Glentress hits! 😆
    The basic Yukon FX chassis and wheels are superb to be honest, strong and relatively light for the price.The Dart 2 fork even has a lock out and rebound adjustment. The FX2 is exactly the same as mine was, except it had hydraulic brakes. I think the FX1 had a Tora fork, and 27 gears as opposed to 24.
    Mine now:

Xylene
    Free Member

I have sent him a link to the fx2 – they have an 18″ Caldera there as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New bike for the nephew – opinions wanted.’ is closed to new replies.