Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New bike – dream bike but can't remember the dream
  • mdoubleu

I’m looking to get a new full-sus that’ll do everything (whatever that means?), my riding is primarily trails (Surrey Hills/ Swinley)infrequent trips to the Lakes and Wales. I like riding up so don’t want to get anything too heavy. I currently have a Specialized Stumpjumer FSR 2008 and love it but looking for something with a bit more travel (140mm maybe) – a bit more fun.

Bikes that I’ve read good things about that I’m considering:

Pivot Mach 5,7
    Turner 5 Spot
    Santa Cruz Blur LT (ridden)
    Yeti (?)

Will obviously test ride beforehand but looking for some suggestions/thoughts?

RealMan
    Free Member

Isn’t there a stumpy evo or something – ie a stumpy with more travel? Worth a look at?

infidel
    Free Member

Nicolai Helius AC? Head for the hills in Dorking have a test one…!

Gotama
    Free Member

Stif are knocking out the Blur TRc which is a great bike for surrey hills.

AlexSimon

Ride as much as you can. It’s the only way you’ll find out what suits.
    Take your time and enjoy the process.

It sounds like you want to start with just a frame, so you could add all sorts in there:
    Cotic Rocket
    Ibis Mojo SLR
    Transition Bandit
    Devinci Dixon

Take your time getting the shock setup right for each bike.

Shackleton

How about a ~120mm 29er if most of your riding is surrey way? One of the sturdier ones would still take the beating of the lakes/wales but might feel better nearer home and will likely make going up easier. If you aren’t doing big drops then ~120mm travel and bigger wheels may be the way to go. Just a thought.

So; Trek Rumblefish, Specialized Camber (I think), Santa cruz Tall Boy, Pivot Mach 429, Intense Tracer29, Foes Shaver 29.

Or if you want 26″ wheels then a Transition Bandit, Intense Tracer2, Foes Shaver or Cotic Rocket would be worth a look.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Hardtail, you know it makes sense…..

aracer
    Free Member

Hardtail, you know it makes sense…..

Don’t you mean rigid singlespeed?

Or you could always do what I have and also go direct drive and get rid of the superfluous wheel 😉

mdoubleu

Ok, so here’s the refined list- need to get demoing.
    Evo Stumpjumper
    Pivot Mach 5,7 Carbon
    Turner 5 Spot – thinking ‘not’ as can get Carbon for same price, a bit heavy
    Santa Cruz Blur LT/TRc
    Nicolai Helius AC
    Cotic Rocket
    Ibis Mojo SLR
    Transition Bandit
    Devinci Dixon

I have a Hardtail and not going down the 29er route while 650b is coming.

Thanks all

njee20
    Free Member

Judging by the speed Howard from Pedal & Spoke rode Barry’s on a Blur TRc yesterday that’s a seriously quick bike for the Surrey Hills!

Kryton57

AlexSimon – Member
    Ride as much as you can. It’s the only way you’ll find out what suits.
    Take your time and enjoy the process.

It sounds like you want to start with just a frame, so you could add all sorts in there:

Take your time getting the shock setup right for each bike.

This ^^ is the best advice. I rode pretty much everything on the mainstream market at 120mm to find my ideal bike, and the shock setup is so important to get a “real” feeling of the bike as its setup for you.

I’d highly recommend the Transition Bandit (and Stanley Bridge Cycles to get you one), fantastic bike for Surrey, and so capable and much fun to ride.

Kryton57

I wish I hadn’t written that. I’m spending the next year social riding and not event-ing and now I want the Bandit I tested to mess about on :-/

*wipes a tear*

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New bike – dream bike but can't remember the dream’ is closed to new replies.