• This topic has 44 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • New bike… Dark side … can't wait
  • MisterT

My loving babe is treating me to a once in a lifetime custom bike for my 40th and I can't wait. Most of it has arrived, just waiting for the frame, spoken with the frame builder mark reilly from enigma bikes and it's nearly ready for dispatch… Hubs sent to harry rowland for build…
    Stainless xcr frame
    king r45 hubs with excellight rims 32h 3 cross rear 28h 2 cross front
    force 2010 groupset
    just contemplating what finishing kit to go for
    ooohhh baby….

njee20
    Free Member

You used 'darkside', 'babe' and 'ooohhh baby' in one post. I refuse to listen to anything else you say.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Sounds like a midlife crisis to me.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Should have boght something good if its a once in a lifetime bike…..like a Pinarello Dogma or similar 🙂

Oh and as already pointed out, Darkside, FFS !

MisterT

ee20 and misterp You are both so right… But I still can't wait.

MisterT

tragically1969

please! A plastic frame can never be a once in a lifetime build. They are funtional, not fine engineering.

sofatester
    Free Member

You used 'darkside', 'babe' and 'ooohhh baby' in one post. I refuse to listen to anything else you say.

+1

Do people realize how ridiculous these words are when used in public? All you need now is to add a "bless" and you'd have the set!

😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

Having said that I would be interested to see the frame, Enigma are rather nice.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Richey finishing kit? Or Syntace?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Richey finishing kit? Or Syntace?

ooohh, neither i should hope, got to be ITM or 3T ?

zaskar
    Free Member

Nice frame!

njee20
    Free Member

like a Pinarello Dogma or similar

Interesting thread on Weight Weenies about how heavy some of the Dogmas were coming out. Combined with the fact they're absolutely gopping. I'd still love a Prince though!

Ritchey finishing kit is nice, dunno what I'd use these days.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well I think the OPs bike sounds flipping lovely!

GJP
    Free Member

Looking forward to the obligatory pics. What colour have you opted for?

cheers_drive

+1

Do people realize how ridiculous these words are when used in public? All you need now is to add a "bless" and you'd have the set!

My loving babe is treating me to a once in a lifetime custom bike for my 40th

It's a road bike not the dark side and start talking you age.
    Nice soundng bike though.

MisterT

currently thinking of Thompson or 3t post & 3t k-wing compact bars (use those bars on my other road bike and they are perfect). Enigma are doing me a colour matching stem. And it'll be the same White as shown on their website elite bike. Asked them to leave the right chainstay bare polished stainless as per my old chromed White tommassini was back in 1988. Polished braze on hanger and all tubing micro tig welded. King hubs and headset (subtle graphics versions) in pewter. Mark advised to use columbus' new retro full carbon fork that's specificaly designed for non-integrated headsets to give cleaner lines. That's also being colour matched.

Btw suitably ch?s?tened about innapropriate forum terminology.

MisterT

When I said 3t I realy meant FSA

saleem
    Free Member

So where is this dream bike, please send me some pics, cheers

MisterT

MisterT

finally built her up and i'm chuffed to bits.

MisterT

full set of pics here: clicky here – flickr

jackthedog
    Free Member

As a rule I find most [whisperssoasnottoupsettheselfappointedforumvocabularypolice]
    darkside
    [/whispersoasnottoupsettheselfappointedforumvocabularypolice] bikes to be much of a muchness, but that looks sweet.

dano
    Free Member

nice flowers…the grass looks healthy… 😉

Bike looks lovely and hope she is all you were hoping for…

flip
    Free Member

I had this made to measure 853 frame when i was forty, it makes all the difference cus it fits me properly 😛

Sorry crap photo

samuri
    Free Member

looks very nice…

it makes all the difference cus it fits me properly

Your steerer begs to differ. 😉

john_l
    Free Member

Bar angle FAIL
    Bar tape/saddle mismatch FAIL

looks nice other than that :o)

flip
    Free Member

Your steerer begs to differ.

I'd just built it soft lad 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

like the look of that enigma but the angles dont quite look right , did you specify them or did enigma do em ?

charge and fizik make brown tape to match your saddle btw

MisterT

in reply to trail_rat – frame angles 73 seat, 74 head. specified by Mark @ Enigma. I did hunt high and low for bar tape to a) feel right and b) match colour of saddle. but didn't like the feel of the others (brooks, fizik and charge) – this stuff from Cinelli feels great, and will age well by darkening up with use and abuse since it's good quality thick leather.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Which one of the following is the correct spelling – gawping or gopping? That to my tastes is the answer to my previous question.

trail_rat
    Free Member

perhaps its just the shaping of the forks that make it look wrong angles then .. used to seeing straight blade carbon on modern machines.

MisterT

to compare angles – the Cervelo is 73 deg f&r

trail_rat
    Free Member

seat angles look about the same but the head angle looks steeper than the numbers suggest esp when compared to that cervelo. although the forks look a bit shorter imho on the enigma which would steepen the headangle – could all be camera trickery mind but it just doesnt look like the most stable at speed – who am i to doubt enigma though

trail_rat
    Free Member

btw flip – love the rourke ! one of the few frame builders around that can stick a nice paint job on and not make his bike looks like a homebrew ….

69er
    Free Member

I had King hubs on my roadbike a while ago. There was so much drag in the freehub the chain went slack freewheeling in the small cog, sometimes throwing the chain off.

Not funny descending the Glandon at 50mph+! It'll be interesting to see if the new road hubs are an improvement.

MisterT

There was so much drag in the freehub the chain went slack freewheeling in the small cog, sometimes throwing the chain off.

indeed this used to keep me away from King hubs, but having seen these new R45's in use localy, I was impressed. King have done a great job of engineering this hub specificly suited for road use. I can spin these and watch them for ages as they gently spin and spin with little friction slowing them down. just like a good old pair of 1980's campag record hubs I have.

MisterT

Bar angle FAIL

quite right old man…. indeed on the inaugural ride this morning I found the saddle was needing to be tilted up a smidge and the bars rotated forwards a couple of smidges.. well spotted

njee20
    Free Member

Agree with trail_rat on the head angle, particularly compared to the Cervelo, does look a bit 'twitchy'!

BigDummy
    Free Member

Two points:

– that bike is lovely, I hope you're very, very pleased with it.

– if I can say, in 9 years time "My loving babe is treating me to a once in a lifetime custom bike for my 40th" I shall be a happy chap. Ignore the haters, they don't have a loving babe, just "'er indoors" or "bitchface". 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The saddle and bar tape are making the sweet baby Jesus cry.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘New bike… Dark side … can't wait’ is closed to new replies.