Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • New bike arrived: Iz disappoint, or just overly fussy?
  • nedrapier

Are we sure the OP never caused it getting the post out?

One’s been done on the way in, one’s been done on the way out. Damage on the way in means damage on the way out is unavoidable.

Wouldn’t take a lot of mechanical sympathy to realise it wasn’t right going in.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Are we sure the OP never caused it getting the post out?

Unfortunately you’ve run out of time to stealth edit that massive fail in logic.
    What do you actually think caused the damage? Me prizing the post out with a screw driver?! Obviously one of the marks is as a result of me raising the post – out of a defective (burred) frame that should have been spotted prior to the post being fully inserted. Or do you just ride your bike with the saddle slammed where the assembler left it?

PePPeR

The frame does need sorting out as well as the seat post itself, difficult decisions, I’m like you I could sort it myself quite easily, but it shouldn’t have been delivered like it has.

callmetc
    Free Member

I would personally be looking at a replacementime or some money back.

I would want something to compensate.

I get pissed off enough when I scratch parts myself but not even having the pleasure of doing it would get right on my tits as it’s supposed to be brand new.

eshershore
    Free Member

had a customer in our store recently with a Kona also from same supplier with the same issue (a different model to yours) caused by a badly finished seat tube with an edge from welding

needs running through with this:

and a new seat post

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

So…..Wiggle agreed there was an issue, and suggested returning the bike. I suggested just returning the seatpost for exchange, but they went ahead and organised a courier for the bike. Then in response to a friendly ‘chase up’ email this week said “yeah sorry, having read the email chain swapping the seatpost would have been a good idea”.

The bike arrived today. I took the liberty of having my phone to hand as I unboxed it.

The first thing I notice is the head tube badge loose in the bottom of the box, and a bare space (with a scratch) where it should be on the frame. Okaaaay – I can suck that up and just glue it back on, it’ll cover the scratch and Munqe Chick will never even know.

Second thing I notice as I begin to pull the bike out the box is no attempt has been made to wrap or package the bars before boxing it; It came originally with them all bagged and wrapped up, and I wrapped them generously in bubble wrap to return the bike. They have just been hurriedly zip tied to the bike. With inevitable consequences. One of the metal grip lock-on collars has worn away an area of the seat tube.

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t expecting to get the bike back in a worse condition than it had been returned to them in 🙄

Just emailed them the pics and asking for it to be collected and a full refund. They’ve sold the only other one they had.

andyl
    Free Member

The process is an awesome bike so if you got a good price on it I would keep it and ask them to confirm the warranty is unaffected (ie if a crack starts at that damage then it will still be a warranty replacement), ask them for some discount as compensation and touch it up. It will get far more than that the first time a big rock flicks up into it.

mrhoppy

I’ve posted about it before but when we bought Mrs hoppys commuter from Wiggle the 1st one got ‘lost’ in (stolen from) DXs Southampton depot. The replacement got abandoned outside the front of our garage whilst we were away for the week, in the rain and unsupported so fell over scratching the crank arm. It was the only one left so we left it with stern words and got a discount code from them.

nickc

what a bunch of numpties. 🙄

legend
    Free Member

New scratch is what, 2mm? I’d be after an additional discount and just crack on! It’ll get worse than that in no time anyway

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Disappointing update regarding returned frame damage. 🙁

How is the seatpost now?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I genuinely haven’t got as far as checking the post. If it was for me I’d possibly go the compensation/partial refund/discount route, but it’s for my other half who in short has had a sh1t few months, a new bike was supposed to help cheer her up, and as I found the Process and recommended it I feel responsible and that a damaged bike isn’t acceptable. Yes it was a ‘bargain’ as it’s a £3k rrp bike, but it still cost £1400. And as she’s not as clumsy as me she has a 7 year old HT with less cosmetic damage.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

An interesting selection of opinions, I appreciate it MAY get damaged by large rocks, however I have had bikes that I’ve flown and smashed down Boulder fields regularly for years which are in better Nick than that. Unfortunately I don’t expect a new bike with damage, unless they give me (crashtestmonkey!) a £500+ discount. It is a huge Nick and makes me concerned how it has been battered about in other ways. 🙁

Back to the bike hunting drawing board

thegreatape
    Free Member

It is a huge Nick and makes me concerned how it has been battered about in other ways

Are you talking about WCA now?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Collection and refund being arranged. Expect to see a shop soiled cosmetic damage 2014 Process on Wiggle soon.

scandal42
    Free Member

Shame, looks a nice bike

rickon
    Free Member

she has a 7 year old HT with less cosmetic damage.

That’s one tiny mark on the seattube, I’d put a sticker or some helitape over it and just ride it.

I’d be asking for some money, but it’s really not that bad. Once there’s a tiny but of mud on it, you’re not gonna notice.

Bikes are for ridings, not for lookings at 🙂

br
    Free Member

she has a 7 year old HT with less cosmetic damage.

OT but I just bought a s/h carbon FS, 2 y/o and not a mark on it anywhere.

Riding tomorrow, and I’m 99% sure after a days rocks/roots it’ll not look anywhere near as new. A bit like the one I bought off here a while back, three y/o and not a mark – now hung up on my garage with not a single tube/surface undamaged (and a bent pivot).

So, for the couple of marks you’ve got I’d just send them the pics and say unhappy but keeping the bike as it’s cheap.

They may offer you something as a ‘pacifier’.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Bikes are for ridings, not for lookings at

True, and I’m sure if the OP had done the damage themselves, even on setting it up (we’ve all dropped an 8mm allen key onto fresh paintwork right?) he/she would suck it up. But a damaged bike from new, well pragmatically it’s no different, but for me there would always be the niggling sour feeling towards what was a disappointment. Turning your argument around it’s only a bike, so the op should feel free to choose another one without a tarnished start to it’s life.

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s a shame about Wiggle’s crapness and munqe chick not getting to have such an awesome bike. I had been meaning to ask how she was liking it.

Yeah most of us would probably keep it and look for a discount, but the buyer’s decided not to so lets not harrass her/her husband about it!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Collection and refund being arranged. Expect to see a shop soiled cosmetic damage 2014 Process on Wiggle soon.

I was joking when I wrote that, but…

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kona-process-111-29er-2014-shop-soiled/

so it’s listed for twice as much as we paid for it. Who knew damaging a bike could add so much value? 😆

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Wiggle from experience expect customers to just give in and cookie crumble over the poorly packaged items they send out.

Also they have no idea on phone giving out false information when making an order on the basis that the info is correct which you assume a bike sales and mechanic should know.

Never again from slightly bitter experience

As a contrast YT manage to get bikes from Germany to the UK in cardboard boxes without a mark on them – every part and piece carefully enclosed/secured in more cardboard. Can’t fault them on that front

honourablegeorge

Munqe-chick – Member
    An interesting selection of opinions, I appreciate it MAY get damaged by large rocks, however I have had bikes that I’ve flown and smashed down Boulder fields regularly for years which are in better Nick than that. Unfortunately I don’t expect a new bike with damage, unless they give me (crashtestmonkey!) a £500+ discount. It is a huge Nick and makes me concerned how it has been battered about in other ways.

Back to the bike hunting drawing board

Well, that’s the “glue it back on and she’ll never notice” option out the window. 🙂

Always wonder when something arrives hurriedly packed lik that if I’ve received something that was previously returned by someone else, this is probably one of these cases

honourablegeorge

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    As a contrast YT manage to get bikes from Germany to the UK in cardboard boxes without a mark on them – every part and piece carefully enclosed/secured in more cardboard. Can’t fault them on that front

Their boxes are readily reusable for flying with too, just as well given they charge so much for them

daver27
    Free Member

its not just me then!!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

So are you going to order a Bluto equipped Fatty Trail now to replace the Kona? 😆

mrsfry
    Free Member

Just wasn’t meant to be. Hope you find another one soon (and in blooming good condition)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

So are you going to order a Bluto equipped Fatty Trail now to replace the Kona

I’m happy enough with my Wazoo, Munqe-Chick isn’t really interested in the fat thing (though she likes to laugh at me riding the Wazoo!).

The hunt goes on, cheers all.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘New bike arrived: Iz disappoint, or just overly fussy?’ is closed to new replies.