Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • New bike advice please !
  • cyclelife
    Free Member

My Nomad 2 circa 2009 with 36 Vanilla’s and dhx 5 with Push link and TF st up “maybe” ready to be replaced due to possible problems with replacing key parts (or not).

I have tried my son’s Giant Reign and the Whyte G160 and must admit that I’m not convinced by either, the Reign is superb when it’s pointed DH if a little less nimble than my Nomad but is supremely “planted” and feels much safer due to the 65 degree HA and the front wheel being much more in front of me but when you want it to to climb or “ping” off kickers etc it feels a bit dead.

The Whyte is much nearer in feel to the Nomad but is much longer and not as “plush” and nowhere near as supple as the Reign, so I’m struggling to make a decision out of three or possibly four choices:

1) The Reign
    2) The Whyte
    3) keep the Nomad and spend £500 to single ring it with XT 11 speed and renew the pivots/bearings and TF service of Forks n Shok
    4) Your suggestions on alternatives with 65 degree head angles or there abouts with longer geometry than the Nomad.

I’m 5′ 8″ if that makes a difference to your suggestions – my son is recommending me to try the 2016 Nukeproof Mega in the large size?

Thanks for your help Guy n Gals 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

The Kona Process 153 or transition patrol both look like they’d be more playful than the reign

I agree with your take on the Reign BTW, it can feel like a bit of a steamroller.

I don’t mind that too much though.

cyclelife
    Free Member

The Patrol does look nice and good specs – Thanks! will investigate further.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘New bike advice please !’ is closed to new replies.