Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New bike advice please
  • Raincheck
    Free Member

I’m looking to replace my Rock Lobster 853 with a probably a FS purely for the sake of comfort. Don’t think I would ever need more than 120mmm for the plodding about I do. Mainly XC type stuff, but have tended to rule out 29ers because of lack of stand over. I’m 5’7″ with short legs.

Having said that, I like a high handlebar. Just noticed that Titus Rockstar has decent stand over. Does anyone have any experience of these? Also looked at Kona Process 134, felt nice but probably overkill for my needs.

Other options I’m thinking of are Santa Cruz Superlight or Norco Fluid (the Sight maybe too much for my needs). Looking to spend no more than £2k.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Cheers
    Raincheck

z1ppy

I suggest that 120mm on a 29er FS might be a bit much, so check out 100mm 29ers.. much like the Whyte M109 (as the 120mm t-129 would ‘probably’ be more bike than you need). Not sold in the cheaper ali format new anymore but they come up regularly on ebay within your budget.
    SC Superlight is a good choice, if a bit under spec’d for the money (new).
    2nd hand Orange Gyro’s is also well worth considering, though some owner are still trying to sell them for more than the market is willing to spend.
    I watch them on ebay regularly.. they just don’t sell.. put in low offers! That’s not to say I believe them bad bikes, I think their great just overpriced.

The 29er FS world is you oyster IMO, as though you’d expect the market to be flooded with large frame for all those taller riders recommended to go 29er, the market is actually full of medium frames! Which is bloody annoying, for some-one over 6ft

ps: I know of a nice Ghost AMR 29er if you around the midlands

Raincheck
    Free Member

I think your right about 120mm on a 29er being too much for me. I think that is the limit I need on a 26 or 27.5 unless a 140mm bike is biased towards XC. Unfortunately I don’t know which ones are.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Kona Process 29. Seems a bargain and we’ll kitted. In between your travel requirements…..

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kona-process-111-29er-2014/

Raincheck
    Free Member

I think that would be ideal except Kona is one of the few bikes where a medium size is the right size (going by the 134 I tried)

I would probably need to put a longer stem on it. Sort of ruins the point of the Kona, doesn’t it.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

So you actually need a reach of about 430?The Kona is one of the few bikes which is long at the front and low stand over.

Is it stand over which is the issue of seat tube length?

rOcKeTdOg

SC superlight is a great bike, not sure if new ones have a bolt through rear axle, mine didn’t & suffered from flex. They have short top tubes too

Raincheck
    Free Member

Fr0sty, I actually like a short TT and would normally go forma small size due to both TT length and stand over. But when I tried a Kona 134 a medium seemed good. So my thinking was that if I went for the 111 from Wiggle, which is small, I would likely need a longer stem, which may / may not be an issue.I go and recheck the geometries of both models.

I have always had a thing for the Superlight. Mainly due to its simplicity. I know other suspension design may be “better”, but the limiting to would be me, not the bike. Shame it doesn’t have a better fork though. Food for thought.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Something doesn’t quite add up there the 134 has a quite a long reach….

Raincheck
    Free Member

The reach and toptube length are very similar between the Kona models. I understand fr0sty what you’re saying, I think. I guess maybe the fact the Kona’s have such short stems meant I felt OK on a medium size.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Well you could just run a shorter stem like the Kona on other bikes.

I would think 2015 Camber evo or 2016 camber would be great options. If you are going to consider the more aggressive options like the Kona then Banshee Phantom and Transition Smuggler would be good bets.

Raincheck
    Free Member

Good point fr0sty. Thinking about it the Konas are probably more gnar than I need. Just been reading the Kona website. I thought the 111 was more XC orientated than it is. Any thoughts about the Titus Rockstar. This would probably be the last 29er to look at due to stand over.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Yeah the Titus design is outdated, the mech hanger design is shite and it is 10mm QR rear. I think the Specialized Camber will be worth checking out I reckon it has more stand over than the Rockstar.

Raincheck
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll give it a look

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New bike advice please’ is closed to new replies.