Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New Bike Advice Please
  • vblue
    Free Member

Hey folks, after some advice on what full suss bike to get. I've just recently got into mountain biking, mainly through using Glentress and am addicted to the Red Route! So far I've been using my old HT mountain bike but keen to upgrade to something decent that will allow me to use the Black run and beyond.

Really like the look of an ex-hire Lapierre Zesty 314 but have been offered an Orange 5 Prop for £1,500 by a work colleague (it's about a year old and seems in good nick). Must confess my knowledge of bikes doesn't extend much beyond knowing I love the downhill rush, and that my old HT is now rattling after a few Red routes!

Any advice on either of the above, or any other bikes you'd suggest would be welcome. Ideally don't want to spend much above £1,500.

Thanks in advance

mildred

Never ridden a Zesty but can vouch for Orange 5's.

If you know the history of the 5 and it is in very good condition I'd go that way. If you're new to full sus' there isn't many setup issues on a single pivot other than setting sag, and in my experience Orange pivot bearings last forever.

Additionally they always come out at or very near the top in any trail bike grouptest.

Have a ride on both – see which you like and take it from there.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Oooh I'd get the orange without hesitation.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Go for the Orange especially if he seems like a decent bloke.

vblue
    Free Member

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, the Orange it is then! 😀

Cheers

Radioman

£1,500 is a lot for 2nd hand bike… remember there are big discounts on many new bikes now. I would think that good condition 1yr old bike should be half price even so.. Sorry I dont know what current Orange models cost but half of that would be a good price in my view. With 2nd hand full sussers even though pivots may be ok (especially on Orange), you might still need shock servicing which isn't cheap…

iainc

Another vote for the Orange, although £1500 is a bit steep for a 1 yr old one – I think they retailed at £2300 ish, so as said above, half that would be about right. Also as said above, it would be a good idea to get the suspension serviced, and that's best part of £200 if you sent to Mojo (as still warrantied)

vblue
    Free Member

Radioman, thanks for the post. Are there any bikes you'd recommend?

Cheers
    VB

Radioman

Here my 5p worth!. If your hardtail is decent & in good nick try and keep it for the "tamer stuff". Why not go a bit beyond the Orange 5 and get an "all mountain" bike. If u like Orange i hear the Blood is good. Otherwise one of the old specialized Enduros can be had for bargain prices…eg a 2006. I would stay away from the newer enduros with Specialized own brand forks/shocks.

My all mountain bike is an 05 Specialized Enduro SX trail. I love riding that at Glentress & Highland trail centres. I have also used it on loads of proper DH courses. In my light build it weighs 34lbs. Not heavy for me, but i guess too much for "serious" XC. A friend bought a 2nd hand SX trail for about £750 recently!! If you want to make them light you want light forks like Fox 36s or Lyrics (I use Lyric coil), and a TI spring & lightish tyres helps keep it light.

jonb
    Free Member

So far I've been using my old HT mountain bike but keen to upgrade to something decent that will allow me to use the Black run and beyond.

At the risk of being a cliche don't blame the bike. Lot's of people do the black run on hardtails, I'm sure some one will be along to tell you they did it on a penny farthing in a minute.

Out of those two I'd go for the orange. A bike owned by one person should be in better condition than one hired out to lots.

Both are probably good bikes (having never ridden either). You won't really find many modern rubbish bikes, especially those made by the bigger manufacturers.

I paid less than 1500 for a new 2009 Stumpjumper elite. There are plenty of new bikes for around that price that will suit you well.

CheesybeanZ

orange all the way 😀 the red a Glentress fantastic 8)

vblue
    Free Member

Sorry probably should have clarified, my hardtail isn't particularly good, it's only a £250 job from Halfords and weighs 18kg. There's very limited travel on the front forks and having used it on the red route a few times it is a rattling and a creaking! I'm sure there are plenty of folk who could use it on the black route but I guess I'd like something that will 'assist the rider' a bit more on the red and black routes.

Thanks for the advice guys, will have a look around at a few of the other bikes out there, must admit I'd be happier paying a grand than £1500.

Cheers

MattPhotos
    Free Member

Some one will be along in a minute to recommend the boardman range. Best you can get for the money apparently and worth a look if your in the £1000 market. Unfortunately you have to buy em from halfrauds.

vblue
    Free Member

Guys,

Slight development, now have another workmate offering me his Trek Fuel Ex8 09. He's only had it 6 months, it looks well looked after from the pics and he's also got a load of upgrades and is looking for £1100.

So now I'm trying to decide between the Orange 5 Pro at £1,500 or the Trek Ex8 at £1,100. Is the Orange still the one to go for?

Thanks in advance guys.

duckers
    Free Member

EX8

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

S/H bikes should be about 50% of the new price less 10% per year. Go back to the guy with the Orange and tell him you will buy it on that basis

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New Bike Advice Please’ is closed to new replies.