Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New bike advice (darkside content)
  • docrobster
    Free Member

Isthis as good a deal as it seems?
    What else to consider?
    I don't know much about road bikes. Not had one for years.
    Just thinking about getting one at the moment.

baldSpot
    Free Member

Linky not worky

crikey
    Free Member

It's ok-ish for the money.

Best to look where the savings are being made;
    Cheapo brakes, BB, chainset etc, and it's a bit on the porky side.

I'm sure it will be serviceable and ride well, but it's not really desirable or an object of great beauty.

Ahem, in my opinion…

oddjob
    Free Member

I think you can do better for the money

docrobster
    Free Member

So what would be, for 750 notes?

oldgit
    Free Member

Not great. It annoys me when they say 105 equipped to big it up. Best feature is the 'proper' wheels.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My 2010 Allez Elite was just over that money and seems pretty good.

crikey
    Free Member

Start by agreeing to spend £1000; that's the real killer price point in the roadbike market, compare and constrast, look for full groupset bikes rather than cheap bits, look for a frame that you could buy with 105 or Ultegra and look at the price difference….

Oh, and go try them out; the best buys would probably be the likes of Specialized, Trek, Giant, Planet-X, the big boys who can pass on their ability to get stuff cheap…

docrobster
    Free Member

Fair comment. What if I don't want to spend a grand? Still spesh or trek?

crikey
    Free Member

I would have thought so, until you start spending over £1000, you are in the realms of bikes that sell on price alone, rather than bikes that sell because they are lovely things, so you need to look at the big manufacturers to get the most competitive deal.

Look at last years models of anything; you'll get a few hundred quid knocked off the retail price because they are taking up space on the shop floor that could be used for the new stuff..

crikey
    Free Member

Sit down, make a list of what you want;

Shimano 105 or the SRAM or Campagnolo equivalent.
    Aluminium frame.
    Weight at or under 20lbs…(if thats possible, I'm suggesting a weight because it's a good indicator of a good frame, rather than a super desirable target..)

Then go and look at all the big boys, Focus, Trek, Spesh, Giant, Scott etc., and see what's out there.

MrSmith
    Free Member

better off with a cannondale cad9 if you can find last years in the sale.

spikyjames
    Free Member

Just got myself a Scott Speedster S30 for just under £800, i'm enjoying it, rides and feels quick.

Boardman seems to be able to push out higher spec for a bit cheaper than most aswell.

James

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New bike advice (darkside content)’ is closed to new replies.