Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • New Bike & a re-painted one – Kona Unit & a Turner 5 Spot – Lots of Piccies
  • Vortexracing

New to me, got this Kona Unit F&F off ‘asalmon’ off here (cheers 😀 ), plus some other bits off some mates, (gee76, off here as well) and some bits I had in the Garage.

It Needed some serious TLC and TBH would probably benefit from a re-spray, but I thought I would try it as it is. Built for the upcoming winter with mud and local footpaths sorry, Bridleways, in mind. When the weather changes (next week probably) it will have the same rims but with Mud X tyres on.

Brake hoses could do with sorting, especially the Top Tube rear one, still unsure how to fettle that yet.

Any suggestions?

Spec
    2007 Kona Unit 16”
    New Voodoo bars, stem and Post
    Bel- Air Ti saddle – already had in garage
    New Elixir R brakes
    355 on Pro2 Hubs
    Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph – Tubeless
    New Race Face Ride XC SS Chainset
    New 520 pedals
    Esi grips – Off my Turner
    New SS kit

Weight 21.7Lbs as in the piccy.

P1040757 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040752 by eastham_david, on Flickr

Untitled by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040759 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040758 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040756 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040753 by eastham_david, on Flickr

Turner 5 Spot
    Now the Turner, never did like the blue it came as (but it was cheap), so after 2 years decided that a re-fresh was called for, so here it is, both front and rear triangle painted and lacquered satin Black. A great job and a ‘big up’ for Fastline coatings in Preston, super work and only £70 all in inc a 2 day turn around. I think a hardtail spray is only £35.

Decided that 1 x 10 was not for me and so have bitten the bullet and gone 2 x 10. New XTR front Mech of singletrackmonkey off here, and the decals off Gil at the Cycleshed. New Arch EX rims on pro2 evo hubs and a new 2 x MRP chain device and a XT Chainset

Just needs some ‘5 spot’ decals for the TT when Gil comes back off holiday and we are sorted for the next 2 years 😀 (or until another upgrade is purchased, which will probably be before the months out) 🙄

P1040766 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040765 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040763 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040764 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040762 by eastham_david, on Flickr

Ta

Chucky

djflexure

Looks like they made a really nice job of the Turner

Conan257
    Free Member

Nope, the turner is horrid.

If you need me to get rid of it I’ll happily throw some pennies your way to make up for the inconvenience.

porter_jamie

very nice

Vortexracing

Looks like they made a really nice job of the Turner

He sure did, I was a little apprehensive TBH, but it turned out very well.

If you need me to get rid of it I’ll happily throw some pennies your way to make up for the inconvenience

Thanks for the offer, I’ll sleep on it 😉

juan
    Free Member

The turner doesn’t do it for me. The unit on the other hand looks uber nice 😀

itstig

Nice bikes though I prefer the less cluttered unit. Out of interest how tall are you, what’s your inside leg 😉 just wondering if a short a*rse like me, 29″ inside leg would find it easy to get a 16″ 29er frame to fit. I currently have an 18″ frame 26″ wheel hardtail kona at the moment.

Rickos
    Free Member

Why does the kona need a respray? It looks in great nick.

Vortexracing

Nice bikes though I prefer the less cluttered unit.

I know, the Turner looks cluttered but I’m afraid thats due to all the cables and dropper post, I can’t get away with it. It also seems to be worse on a small frame.

they do ride very well though 😀

Out of interest how tall are you, what’s your inside leg just wondering if a short a*rse like me

I’m 5ft 4″ and have an inside leg of 27.5″

Why does the kona need a respray?

The marks and scratches really don’t come out too well in the photo, it’s taken me 2 days of touching up and polishing to get it like that.

I think i’ll keep it as is for the winter, it’s only going get filthy and even more marked.

Burger

My 5 Spot is starting to look its age (7 this year) and I was pondering a repainting. Preston isn’t too far away either so I’m quite interested in what FastLine did for you. I’ve always worried about the damage over aggressive cleaning processing might do to an alloy frame though. Did you strip down the frame yourself? Take out the pivot bushings? Remove grease ports? Did you go for the full chemical strip and blast before coating? I guess you have to leave it them to mask off things like the headset, BB and brake mounting areas? That’s quite probably enough questions for now! I have to say you have ended up with a great looking stable of bikes there.

Vortexracing

Did you strip down the frame yourself? Take out the pivot bushings? Remove grease ports? Did you go for the full chemical strip and blast before coating? I guess you have to leave it them to mask off things like the headset, BB and brake mounting areas?

the answer is yes, I stripped the frame inc the zerk nipples and badge etc.

He masked all the areas you mentioned above, we talked about areas around the suspension linkage positions and he masked those correctly. The headset and BB he also did.

He is well worth a visit IMHO

I have to say you have ended up with a great looking stable of bikes there.

Thanks 😀

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Hello, Dave did they lacquer your frame at fastline?

I’m due to take my hustler to fastline next week, when my wife decides to have this baby and I can get sme time off

did a me a handjob a couple of months ago erherm…I wouldn’t go anywhere else, top job

Sawyer
    Free Member

21.7lbs? Jesus that’s what my roadie weighs.

I do love 5Spots though, very nice.

Vortexracing

Dave did they lacquer your frame at fastline

yip he did

rOcKeTdOg

Is the chainline ok on the unit with the sproket way over there on the right?

Bernaard
    Free Member

S’nice Unit, but have to agree with RKD re the chain line

Vortexracing

I set it so it was a straight line between the rear sprocket and the chainring. That is where it ended up.

I agree it does look a long way out and that is what I thought when i was trying to line it up.

Is there another way? I must admit i don’t know a great deal about chain lines, especially in SS

neil853
    Free Member

Turner looks lovely Dave.

Vortexracing

Cheers Neil, it does alright for a ‘non plastic’ bike 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Very impressive garden. Finding it very difficult to pick fault.

Bikes nice too, 5-spot looks very tasty in small.

sv

Nice bikes and great paint job.

TiRed

Put some carbon forks on the Kona. I have the On One’s on my Unit 29er and they are great.

Vortexracing

Put some carbon forks on the Kona

It was supposed to be a ‘cheap’ build, but I bet it will end up with carbon forks and thomson bits before long 😥

I’m assuming the Carbon forks will be close to a pound lighter than the P2’s 😀

Very impressive garden. Finding it very difficult to pick fault.

Not very STWish that, is it? There must be something? 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

erm, decking could do with re-coating?

binners

They both look thoroughly bloody luuurverly, in an opposite-ends-of-the-spectrum sort of way

I hate you now though, as the first thing that has entered my head is ‘hmmmmmmmmmmm – my Intense is looking pretty shabby. i could strip it down and get it powder coated’

Vortexracing

erm, decking could do with re-coating?

Thats more like it, The STW balance has been restored 😆

i could strip it down and get it powder coated’

and it’s local, binners 😉

sv

Not very STWish that, is it? There must be something?

Seeing as you asked, lawn could do with some attention – bit patchy like 😉

In keeping with the STW tradition my lawn is much worse but I feel I can still criticise yours 🙂

Vortexracing

I know it’s patchy, I blame the dog.

but then agina I blame him for all sorts, especially farting 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘New Bike & a re-painted one – Kona Unit & a Turner 5 Spot – Lots of Piccies’ is closed to new replies.